“A Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Stockport, United Kingdom
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I visited 2 weeks ago with 4 colleagues. A very wet Weds night certainly kept the masses indoors!
Service was warm and polite and the waiter was knowledeable about all dishes. Sadly, the corned beef hash was not available. 4 different starters and all had great comments from my guests. Homemade focaccia was amazing! One of my guests aske door the recipe and was duly given it ( although notin exact detail) and also given a bag of same to take home. My first choice of wine was not available but a suggestion from the waiter proved to be more than adequate.
Main courses again were first class. One of us, a vegetarian was offered other selections not listed on the menu. All sweets were very good - if you can share, try the sharing plate for two - 8 different sweets on one plate - very tasty.
We had champagne, wine and beers bringing the average per head to around £50 and it was worth every penny. Plenty of time between courses kept us hungry, but not to stage of complaining about the wait.
Would definitely return, there is much more of the menu I need to try.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Derby
“Thought it was Still 21 Queen Street, now no need to look any further”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

After moving away from Newcastle 11 years ago, I was very much looking forward to coming "home" and this included a trip to my favourite place in Newcastle to eat, 21 Queen Street, but as I took a stroll onto queen street I was a bit shocked too see that not only was 21 Queen Street not there anymore, but another place instead, at first I was a bit put off by the signage on the windows as it looked a bit like a chain and a little tacky, but after reading the menu, me and my friend decided to give it a go anyway.

We were greeted at the door by a slightly scruffy looking man, albeit very polite and charming and shown too our table, the interior looked a bit dated but had an aura of being a friendly environment, however what we were about to experience was more shocking that the look of the staff or the chipped paint work.

The food in this establishment is second too none, and as I tucked into my starter of scallops, the only thing better than the taste of the food was that my friend was enjoying his just as much as I was, the seasoned scallops cooked perfectly, although to look at looked a little burnt, although this is a running theme in this Restaurant, the fact that looks can be deceiving. The Beef Dish I had for my main course was out of this world, and breaking the precedent that Pan Haggerty had set out was a bit shocking, as it looked like an artist had plated my food, the short rib was beautiful and the whole balance of the dish was amazing, seasoned and cooked to perfection, this is a dish worthy of any Michelin starred establishment you could ever wish to grace. we declined the offer of deserts as we were far too stuffed off the first two courses, and decided just to go for coffees. although the thought of a chocolate and beetroot cake did sound very appealing!

Overall, DO NOT be put off by the tacky signage or rough looking waiters in need of a shave and an ironing lesson, get your self down too here, and try this food, my only objection is that is not closer to my new home!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Delicious but lacking atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stuck in Newcastle for business meeting and decided to try here as a solo diner.

Firstly, the food was great. The non-nonsense dish "beef" was a delight and worth the visit on itself. The salmon starter was ok albeit a little under seasoned.

Service was also efficient and hassle free; just what I need when dining alone and just looking to get on and out. However, the staff never really engaged with me or went the extra distance to make me welcome.

Which brings me to my final point. Ok it was a Tuesday evening in October but the place was less than half full and distinctly quiet. This place has a lot of potential but is a little overpriced and under populated IMO.

But I'd definitely go back, though maybe at the weekend and in a group.

Melbourne, Australia
“Enjoyable, casual dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This restaurant had good service, a nice bustling atmosphere and nice food. A good venue for a casual Friday night and an enjoyable experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Poole, United Kingdom
“High class restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my meal here. I was eating alone but was made very welcome. There are lots of alcoves in the restaurant and, if you want, you can enjoy some peace away from the main part of the restaurant; alternatively you can be part of the livelier main section. A nice choice to have. The menu was interesting and unusual, and the waiting staff were very helpful. The crab and coriander roll starter was a medley of flavours, and was an excellent way to kick off the meal. I then went for the beef plate, with a piece of fillet steak, beautifully pink and tender, with braised short rib and ox cheek tortellini, plus trimming. Everything was good and I liked the little touch that when I left, I was wished goodnight by name (taken from my credit card). Small things like this make the difference and show a real customer focus. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere