“Not worth it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle

You added Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle to your Saves list
Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Allan House, City Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2BE , England   |
England
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed a Saturday night in this hotel. There was a funny smell in the corridor which then spread into our room. It was the worst nights sleep we've ever had-bed was hard and pillows gave me a stiff neck in the morning. Bathroom was beautiful. It was about 25mins walk to the quayside bars which was hard in heels. The cocktails were delicious.

On checking out I was asked how our stay was- I reported the problems and the hotel apologised but that was all. Not worth the £145.

Room Tip: I presume upgrading your room may give you a better experience of this hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Northumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

When will I ever learn? Chains, especially bright-young-thing chains like HdV, at best are a mixed bag and at worst are dreadful. Based on last night's experience, HdV Newcastle falls into the former category but there were times when I wanted to set fire to the place.

Nowhere to park. But they still want £10 car parking charge. And my keys. So they can jumble my car up on the highway with a load of others.

The usual tedium at check in: they don't trust me. Not only do they not trust me to settle my bill on departure but they even feel the need to take an extra £50. For what? Just in case? Why let me put my foot over the threshold if they think I'm going to rob the joint? It's hotel policy not to trust the guests, I suppose. To assume they're thieves. To expect them to bilk. Even though they have my car keys, my name, my address. Why should I trust them (after all, the holding company is in administration and no doubt has welched on its creditors)? What if they run away without giving me a good night's sleep?

The room. Excellent decor, well-laid out, pretty spacious for a standard room. Superb bathroom with a nice wide and deep and long bath. Not perfectly clean but OK. Cleaner than my bathroom. Views from the corridor very, very interesting. Why do they have a TV in hotel rooms? One of life's mysteries. Do you have a TV at home? No, neither do I, and I don't want one in my hotel room. The bed was too small for two, needlessly so given the space in the room. And the linen was a bit thin. And part of the bed had not been properly made up. Some traffic noise but if you live in town or anywhere near a road, you'll cope. Corridor noise, footsteps, chatter, other people's doors, irritating. Plumbing noise. And noise from next door and upstairs. If you were drunk I don't suppose you'd notice. At least the air con plant is far enough away not to be heard. Irritating LEDs on the fire alarm and the coffee machine. To be honest, at 2am I felt like getting dressed and driving home, because it's a million times better at home.

Breakfast was good. Attentive service, if a little small-minded. The coffee pot has less than half the capacity of the coffee cup, which is really odd. If you want a cup of coffee, be sure to order at least two pots. What is with all the empty wine bottles in the restaurant? Makes it look like student digs. The other customers are a mixed bunch but nobody noisy or horrid.

And this is it: HdV Newcastle was identikit the same as HdV Bristol and HdV everywhere else and the HdV concept is so naff. It's hackneyed, unoriginal, dull, uninspired, out-of-date. Ooh, wine, how exciting and sophisticated, maybe even naughty, glamorous. Except it's not. It never was, except maybe for five minutes at College. HdV is everything that is wrong with our world: it's over-priced, it's staffed by children, it's stupefyingly unindividualistic, it's false and phoney and, worse, it's a false and phoney version of something crap anyway. And yet all the morons love it.

The wine list does look good, mind. And it's nice to see they cater for smokers. And It's hard to think of anywhere else to stay in Newcastle (although you need a car as it's out of the way).

Bottle of mineral water, £3.95. Chocolate buttons £4.05. Park in the street £10. When the standard room is £165 B&B these nick-nacks should be free. That's "free", not "complimentary", Mr Robot receptionist. What a swizz.

Room Tip: Standard room is pretty good but the bed is too small for two.
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the hotel du vin in. Hearing. Station. The room was mezzanine with a fabulous bath/shower on a balcony and a bedroom downstairs. Good facilities with a nespresso maker (good call) however no biscuits in the room, disappointing! There was no getting away from the fact the room was gorgeous, however a couple of things let it down from being perfect.

The metal railing across the balcony wasn't clean, I didn't want to touch it for the build up underneath it, it seemed the room had been cleaned in a hurry and the attention to detail had been missed. There was also alot of staining down the wall above the bed, it was a shame the paper hadn't been replaced. Two things which although weren't a big deal, felt like they let the place down a little. There was also an awful smell in the corridor, however we put that down to the fact there was a canal at the rear of the building. It didn't affect the room in any way though.

We are dinner in the brasserie, good. Food, good service and the wine was reasonable by the glass. We ate the two course set menu as we were going out for the evening it was delicious and. Recommended.

We parked onsite and were charged £10.00 which I felt was slightly steep considering we were parked on the grass but at least we were parked! It is a way out from Newcastle city centre, (it was a taxi ride on the evening due to the heels!) however I think the beauty of the building and service provided makes up for this face.

Didn't have breakfast due to The £15.00 per head price which We felt was rather steep.

I enjoyed the stopover, at £139 for the room and a 2course dinner I thought it was good value.

Would stay again but would try a different room!

Room Tip: Hearing station was a lovely room although we did notice there were rooms with terraces which would...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We chose the HdV as we have stayed with this chain many times before and the price was competitive at the time of booking. Having arrived early the staff were very attentive and arranged lunch whilst the room was cleaned. Lunch was not as good as we were expecting but we felt this was probably due to the kitchen being busy preparing for the Valentines dinner that evening. At some point the reception realised it was my birthday and brought over two glasses of champagne, which was a nice thought and much appreciated. The room was ready earlier than advertised and definitely had the Wow factor, beautiful as well as practical - an open plan suite with two baths, double walk in shower and 8ft bed, we didn't really want to leave! That evening we had booked a meal in the hotel restaurant but unfortunately the food whilst not overpriced could have been better. The next morning (bed was amazingly comfortable) the papers failed to arrive and breakfast was seriously disappointing, service was slow, cutlery missing and food over cooked.

The hotel is on a busy road and certainly there were no views from our room but the room itself more than made up for this. The town centre is a pleasant 20 minute walk along the water past the Millennium bridge and whilst we were happy to walk during the day but preferred to take a taxi at night which was approximately £5 each way.

To sum up, we loved the room and throughout the stay the reception staff and bar staff were always enthusiastic and attentive but the restaurant does let it down.

Room Tip: We were in the Dom Perignon - spacious and beautiful.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here with my wife for a one night stay on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. We had selected a fairly basic room, but the room itself was large, beautifully upholstered and with a lovely view. However, there was a big problem in that the aircon/heating system wasn't working! Given that it was bloody freezing we were not happy!

To their credit the hotel staff pulled out all the stops and we were upgraded to a Junior Suite at no extra charge. The room was truly spectacular, and the whole stay was superb after that point. A great night's sleep, and two excellent meals in the Bistro. Would heartily recommend the place anybody!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night in February. Lovely place and friendly staff. We had a brilliant room called Tattinger, very spacious, huge bed, freestanding bath, large walk in shower, magazines, bath robes,etc,etc even an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. The room was cold but it was a cold windy night and there were extra heaters you could use. The lounge area was warm and cosy with a nice fire in it,bar area was nice but drinks very expensive. We had a meal in the restaurant from the prix fixe 2 course menu, meal was ok but no veg with the main and we didn't realise this until the meal came. Breakfast was served in the restaurant, which was very good, book it the night before and its cheaper. All in all a lovely place with a nice atmosphere and friendly staff but a bit expensive for drinks and the parking at £10. Would definitely recommend for a treat though and would love to go again.

Rochdale , England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night at this hotel. I must say that on a windy Thursday in Newcastle the curb appeal wasn't amazing from the busy road, however as soon as you turn into the courtyard you feel as though you have been transported a million miles away. We were met by an extremely charming young man called Mark, and although we arrived a few hours before our check in time we were given a choice of two available suites.Mark recommended the Muton Rothschild suite because of its amazing views over the Tyne, we were not disappointed. The room was beautiful with a giant arch window overlooking the Tyne for as far as the eye could see. There was a lovely mezzanine level with roll top bath and monsoon shower. A long soak in the bath admiring the view of the river at night was just right after a long day of shopping. With its large seated area and giant bed this room was a lovely treat. Breakfast was delicious, eggs benedict cooked just how I like them. Mark checked us out with a genuine friendliness that would definitely encourage our return. This hotel is a hidden gem, I will return and would reccomend this place for a special treat. Amazing !!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle? Share your experiences!