“Poor performance by a chain with a good reputation” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle

You added Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle to your Saves list
Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Allan House, City Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2BE , England   |
“Poor performance by a chain with a good reputation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night at this hotel. They have converted a characterful building to create the hotel but because the day to day maintenance and service are poor, the whole comes across as pretentious.

My complaints are as follows:-

1. The corridor providing access to the rooms at ground floor level had a terrible pong. I would say there was a problem with the drains.

2. The corridors were cold - there were no visible heaters.

3. My room at the top floor at the front was freezing cold. After I complained the staff tried to sort this but it took until 3am or so to get the room to a reasonable temperature.

4. The lighting in the room was ideal for a honeymoon couple (say) but was hopeless for me as a business visitor having to read through papers after dinner. The room had a desk in the darkest part. I asked for a table lamp or similar, was promised one but none arrived.

5. The food was poor. My starter, a soufflé, was stodgy rather than light and fluffy. My main course of steak hache was grizzly meat, badly presented and offensive in taste. I pointed out the problem with the soufflé but heard nothing. When the main was poor I gave up and did not bother with pudding or indeed breakfast the following morning.

From comments made by front desk staff, the place was probably under-staffed but there was a surfeit of people in the restaurant who did little but engage in their own banter and tittle tattle.

I recommend that this place is avoided.

Kishandes, Maidstone, Kent, UK

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is nit my first visit to this hotel, and certainly won't be my last.everything about HdV screams style and chic. Service is impeccable, friendly to the extreme. From reception you get instant sense of style and design, perfect mix of gentleman club leather and feminine chandelier, steel and flame. Dining is great, although service can be slow, and I a determined to map my diary to fit in a sommelier or cigar event at some point.

Then the rooms. Wow factor and my favourite thing is every visit I get to try a new one. Not having a favourite room here is indicative of how each is different, all great i their own rights. Roll top baths, monsoon showers, super king sleight beds and four posters, in room Nespresso....the only trouble is leaving. Best hotel in Newcastle, by far.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

we visited this hotel for the first time and can highly recomend it from the reception to the restaurant staff the service to attention and detail was excellant. The dinner served in the Bistro was first class and one of the best meals we have had out for a long time. With a very good wine menu. We can recomend this hotel very highly.

Room Tip: Our room "TORRES " was very good and very peacefull with good views up the river Tyne.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
county durham,england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was our fourth visit to this hotel;a complimentary upgrade to the Henley Vineyards room certainly did not disappoint! Everything from the entire staff,food quality and housekeeping made for a most enjoyable and relaxing stay;do not stay anywhere else in Newcastle,I am Princess Picky and I love it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Have previously stayed at the hotel and paid for the dinner bed and breakfast. On the Internet it states 3 course al a carte with 1 side and coffee. Previously this is what we got and were told you could order anything from the menu. However this time we were advised that we had a limit of £40 each and anything mover we had to pay for. This is fine but it is not what was described on the Internet offer. The room itself was good and the food we ate was fantastic. My husband went for the festive menu and I opted for the dressed crab to start then the filet steak, both were fantastic. The hotel is a little out of the way but if you are looking for a chill out and good food this is the place to come....I would recommend is place..we have booked for feb 2013...but if you have booked food as well please beware if the hidden costs

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Paid a discounted rate so v good value. Terrace room means its smoker friendly. Fantastic food and breakfast cooked to order (allow time!). Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Happy to bring European visitor here. Great to relax in a deep big bath watching TV after a long drive. Minibar choices excellent with great snacks too. Location is waiting for the rest of the area to catchup! No shops bars or restaurants in immediate area. But in summer would be an easy walk to the quayside. Will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We booked a mezzanine suite, which was beautiful. Although, in the evening when going to shower there was a horrible smell. We called room services and the hotel representative came to our room and agreed there was an awful smell coming from the shower. He admitted that it usually came from that side of the hotel, and that he will make a report and show to management the following morning. We were not given the choice to change rooms.

The following morning when settling the bill, the management showed terrible customer service while why asked about our room situation. Usually, when you book an expensive room but the facilities are not satisfactory hotels offer financial relief to customers - as it is not our fault you hotel room stinks! After much arguing about customer service principle with the arrogant staff they offered £20. What do you think that sounds like for not being able to take a nice shower, in a premium room booked and paid to have luxurious baths and showers in?

We are have stayed at leading hotels around the world, luxury B&B's, and everything in between. And we just do not find the value or luxury within this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle? Share your experiences!