I don't want this review to be a slanging match, I merely want to point out where there could be improvements.
The apartment itself was great for what we needed & worked out much better value than a hotel. It was modern, had a spacious living area and cosy bedrooms. The bathroom & kitchen were very modern & having a utility area is a fantastic idea. The location was fine for us as we used taxis & was only a 10 min journey. It would be naive to suggest that the apartments were spotless but it wasn't an issue.
The one issue I had was the attitude of the staff when first checking in. As soon as they were aware we were there for a 21st, by some of the comments it would seem they had preconceptions of us. Firstly we were told "I hope you're not going to wreck the place" - I found that a little insulting. And "if anything is not as you found it, we will charge the card that we have on file." Both of which are common sense - it was the manner that irate me.
The balance had to be paid straight away and we wanted to pay part cash/part card. we were told by what I assume was the manager: "the receptionist is training and I think you need to sort something out because this just isn't going to work, and you're confusing her". Firstly, I understand that - its more of a faff however, it could have been dealt with better. We shouldn't have felt like an inconvenience & her frustration shouldn't have shown. Secondly - the manner was rude and they should be grateful for our custom. And thirdly, the training of the staff (which we know at some point has to happen) was not our problem. They should have been apologising for the not so swift service, not making us feel like the burden was placed on us to make it as easy as possible. At the end of the day, a lot more stressful situations will happen before she's finished in that job.
We were told that "we weren't to bring males back" at the end of the night out. Again, presumptuous. We paid a flat rate that catered for 8, so it was a little irritating to be told we couldn't exercise our entitlement. It felt like we were being watched constantly, just waiting for a member of staff to come and tell us another rule. At the end of the day people pay the privilege for accommodation and to use the space for whatever means, providing they respect the space & other guests.
I think they were dubious about our age group & there is other reviews with similar complaints. I feel if they don't want younger groups to book, they should endorse an over 21/25 policy then neither parties would feel uncomfortable for whatever reasons. Ironic that they are quite happy to take your money though.
The service we received wasn't four star, although after this debacle the staff were very pleasant. Too late was the cry - first impressions!
Other minor points - kitchen could have had another clean, there wasn't enough towels provided, nor breakfast in one of the apartments & would recommend putting 2 apartments of the same booking together.
I would stay again despite it, as it was perfect for our usage. Although I think the manner in which the staff speak to guests & the way things can be interpreted really does need to be reviewed. There would have been others in that situation that would have walked out. I also think the preconceptions should be kept to yourself. Our money is just as good as anyone's regardless of our age.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New to 2008, Kensington House Aparthotel is ideally located next to Jesmond Metro Station with easy access to Newcastle Centre and the airport. Set in the exclusive cosmopolitan Jesmond area, Kensington House Apartments offer stylish contemporary accommodation in a great setting. With a wide range of bars and restaurants on the doorstep and the city centre just minutes away, these two bedroom apartments are an ideal base for business and leisure travellers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Kensington House Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kensington House Aparthotel Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Kensington Hotel Aparthotel