“Will go back for dessert alone!” 4 of 5 stars

+44 1483 224180
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 214 restaurants in Guildford
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Will go back for dessert alone!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We visited Carlo's twice in the last month, once on a Thursday and once on a Friday. Fantastic food both times and good service. Family feel to the place. Better atmosphere on the Friday but we still had a great time on both occasions. Set at the top of Newland's Corner the restaurant is a bit out of the way for many but well worth the drive out of Guildford. The meringue dessert is to die for.

Visited May 2013

83% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went to Carlos for the first time on Wednesday and enjoyed a very nice lunch.For £14.95 they do a very nice 3 course set lunch. There is plenty of choice and the service is very good.The restaurant has a nice ambience and we all enjoyed our meals.The choices ranged from meat, fish to nice pasta dishes with some delicious sweets.All in all a lovely place to go for lunch. Will definitely visit again.
There is a large car park but I imagine it gets busy at times so is advisable to book.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A Sad Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We ventured back to Carlos for a late supper a couple of weeks ago with my girlfriend and two of my adult children after at least a 10 year absence from this restaurant. We had a reasonable meal with some friendly service. However when we returned last week we were left standing in their cold empty bar awaiting some attention to show us to our reserved table. The restaurant was half empty. I did check in with the maître d' to let him know we were there and was to told to wait in the empty bar. Luckily the bar now had a waiter making drinks so I asked for two glasses of Champagne when he was free. Then two other couples arrived behind us and they were immediately attended to by the bar waiter who walked around to meet them and showed them to their table...... so we left to eat elsewhere.... Carlos see you in another 10 year or so... Maybe..! We eat out at least five days a week..... so how clever are you!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MamaGuildford, General Manager at Carlo's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad you had a reasonable meal with friendly service on your first visit back to us after 10 years and that you chose to return a week later.

As someone who eats out at least five times a week I am sure that in your time you will have witnessed on more than one occasion a busy restaurant with staff who are rushed off their feet. My wife and I were at a family wedding last Friday so were both absent from the restaurant, unfortunately for us we also had one of our waiters signed off sick. Ordinarily on a Friday evening there would be four or five staff serving in the restaurant, however last Friday despite all efforts there were just two.

Coupled with the fact that it was a bank holiday weekend the evening turned out to be extra busy (we served 72 customers, which by our standards is considered to be very busy and by no means half empty).

I sincerely apologise for the fact that my two staff were unable to give you the service that all our customers deserve. Having both worked for us for over 6 years I have no doubt that they will have worked their hardest that evening and when given the opportunity explained the reason for the absence of staff.

It is always regretful to receive a complaint from a customer especially if I was not there at the time, that said in this instance I feel I would have regretted it more had I chosen to miss watching my nephew getting married.

I would like to think that I have been quite clever in building up a strong reputation and extensive regular client base over the last 27 years but I suppose that’s a matter of opinion.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Excellent Fixed Price Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This place is a surprise, being far larger and more attractive inside - despite the hanging "fairy lights" which so upset one reviewer, which as a simple lad from Essex, rather than an exalted Surrey resident, I did not take such exception to - than it does from its underwhelming exterior. Do not be put off by the outside as I was.

We visited one weekday lunchtime and ate from the very extensive fixed price menu; whether the a la carte is available on request, I do not know, but this menu was not offered. All of us in our party found the food of excellent quality, with generous portions and well cooked. Service was good, notwithstanding one dish being delivered late to the table due to the young waiter's error - for which it appeared the poor lad received the rough side of his boss's tongue.

A very pleasant experience and I can only think a different restaurant to that visited by another reviewer, though given that of four reviews, three are 1 star, this perhaps says enough.

Will definitely visit again next year when back in the UK and our local relatives state that they too will return soon..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
MamaGuildford, Owner at Carlo's Trattoria, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our restaurant, and that goes to all our customers who have posted reviews, both good and bad. Constructive reviews are very important to us and I can honestly say that every time an alert comes through by e:mail that a new review has been posted my heart starts thumping and my nerves are on edge.

Carlo and I both take on board every review and people's comments and always make sure that all of our staff are aware of what has been written. Most of the time I read with pride, sometimes concern and sometimes even disbelief, I won't deny sometimes it can even hurt.

But once again we'd like to thank all our customers for visiting our restaurant and for the majority continuing to do so, 27 years is a long time to be in the business, especially on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere! We hope to see you again soon.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Just Right for a post North Downs Way Ramble”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Carlo's is situated close to Newlands corner where you get excellent views across the North Downs.
The weekday and Sunday lunch menus are very good. We have not been disapointed so far in what we have eaten.

The restaurant is popular so book for an early lunch so as to be sure you get a decent parking place!

• Visited March 2013