“Stroppy waitress” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Byfleet, England, United Kingdom
“Stroppy waitress”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

The waitress needs training in service, food was just plonked in front of us, after leaning across us. Food tasty but portions very small. Had to wait ages just for our order to be taken. First visit, doubt we will be going back

Visited January 2014

Portsmouth
“A great lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We wanted a nice lunch, before I did some sales shopping, We were not disappointed, the set lunch menu was very reasonably price, with a nice selection to choose from.The staff were friendly and attentive.
The portions were a nice size, certainly not small , the restaurant was beautifully clean, and well looked after. Can'y wait till we can go back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, Surrey Uk
“Best restaurant in Guildford by FAR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This restaurant is exceptional. Small and cosy with a real touch of Italy.
We have visited this restaurant so many times and each time it seems better then before.
The food is beautifully seasoned and no matter what I have ordered it has always been a good choice.
My husband is a vegetarian and there is always plenty for him to choose as well. The tomato soup is a winner,
Although we do not drink alcohol I have overheard people remarking at the brilliant choice available on their wine menu.
If you want an intimiate cosy night out with a loved one, this is the perfect choice. Not many tables (although there is a top floor as well) I would recommend booking.
Portion sizes are not huge so there is always room for dessert and the selection is always great.
I always feel welcome and the staff are very nice. A real treat and I think of it as a litle hidden gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, United Kingdom
“3 out of 6 * - Poor to Good, highly inconsistent...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I don't want to be overly critical as I understand the impact such a review may have on a small restaurant....but the price to service to portion ratio is extremely off!

We have been several times and found depending on when you go, you can have anywhere from a poor to a great meal - unfortunately this is too inconsistent for us. When it's busier it get very, very loud (we're not normally noise sensitive) and service/food times seem to drop off beyond what I find acceptable...
While the food is generally good, the portions are too small, especially at these prices; I need a heavy starter and heavy main, plus desert to even start feeling a dent. A friend of mine seemed in agreement, when he ordered a second main, half way through his first. Given the prices at Al Vicolo that just shouldn't happen!!

We often got a nice Limoncello on the house at the end of our meal but I can think of several restaurant in Guildford in which one can enjoy the same/better quality food, for less, with better service and significantly better portion sizes.
We won't return.

This is not to be a shameless plug but an offering of ideas to fellow readers: Positano - Italian, Cote - French, Kinghams - English, Sir and Madam - Thai.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Great Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Have been a few times for lunch with my friends,always good!The set lunch menu is definitely value for money,only wish it could change from time to time.The food quality is excellent,but a bit pricey if you just want a normal meal.Will probly go for dinner for special occasions.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere