“Ok but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Guildford
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Ok but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Walls are very thin, pictures on web-site are VERY misleading must be taken of a few unique rooms! My room was very small for a double room, bed wasn't a full size double, bathroom small. Not a lot of room for me in the room let alone for two of us! Shower head need descaling. Heating needed to be turned down as very warm though night.

Location close to G-Live venue, Spectrum and town.

Room Tip: OK for a one night stay and no more!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
guildfordhotel, Public Relations Manager at Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review The Mandolay Hotel.

As you will see from the very positive nature of a number of our more recent reviews we are currently more than 80% of the way through a major refurbishment programme. Our 'new' rooms are receiving universal acclaim and the additions to our service are also proving extremely popular.

I am sorry that your room had not yet undergone refurbishment but I am sure this was reflected in the tariff. Please contact me personally ahead of any future visit and I will make every effort to ensure that you are allocated one of our many refurbished rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Esher
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Such an unlikely setting somehow for coming across (for the second time) the most superb food I have eaten outside of a London setting for a long time. Imaginative, well presented and above all superbly flavoured dishes were enjoyed by four of us on Monday this week. I spoke to the chef who is enthusiastic and very creative. A gem hidden just away from the run of chain restaurants in the rest of Guildford. Well done Chef - look forward to coming again. mj

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Stratford upon Avon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is situate within easy walking distance of anything in town but if you are arriving by train be prepared for an uphill walk or a cab ride.
Some of the rooms are the size of a broom cupboard, so I asked to change and although I got something bigger there was still no desk space on which I could work.
The shower/toilet actually was a cupboard. No bath.
Breakfast staff where quite frankly rather rude. Instead of a welcome on the first morning I was abruptly told to "Sit over there"!. Although the cooked breakfast looked reasonably edible, it was not freshly cooked. If you wanted anything other than cheap cornflakes or rice crispies then you would be out of luck. I asked for muesli and it arrived on the 5th morning as I was about to leave. Also the only preserve available was apricot jam or honey that had turned to sugar because it was old. When I asked for marmalade I got a very strange look. I thought maybe it was a language problem as most of the staff seemed of East European origin. So I described it as Orange Jam. But it never came.
Staff on the front desk were helpul tho. But still no marmalade.
Walls are rather thin so bring earplugs, and the front rooms are brightly lit by a floodlight all night.
Handy location tho for G-Live venue.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed Easter Sunday after Ice Hockey match at nearby Spectrum. Excellent value for money, especially as we were given a free upgrade. Good location with plenty of parking as the hotel was not very busy. Breakfast choice good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Me and my girldfriend visited guildford to see some university friends we have in Surrey, we arrived at the Mandolay hotel around 4pm, checked in and booked a double room en suite. I must say for the money we spent and the stadard of room received, I felt like tipping the receptionist £50, it was amazingly cheap for the service of room we received.

We headed down stairs after dropping our things off to grab a drink from the bar, although the alcohol was a tad pricey the quality of the Guiness was superb the coldest and freshest i've had at any hotel, also the service from the bar workers I was dumbfounded, we asked them where best to have a meal they told us local area restraunts and had a real in depth knowledge of the surrounding guildford area but then told us the hotel had one, So we made the decision to have a meal.

I had fillet sea trout with butternut squash risotto and champagne & caviar and my girlfriend had pan fried sea bass with twiced cooked fennel, pearl barley and heritage tomato chutney. At first we thought the price of the food was a bit much but when we sat down and started eating, the quality of food was out of this world! I'd eat their everyday if I could, We couldn't believe it and tipped the employee serving us £5 because we felt like we'd cheated the place from the quality of food.

We then headed out to slug & lettuce to meet up with our friends and arrived back around 1pm for a early morning travel back to norwich. The room was dead quiet and the bed unbeliveably combfy, and soon to realise in the morning that the sheets were egyptian cotten which reflects to me that the hotel really takes the time and consideration in providing their customers 5 star accomodation. When we woke up we went to the all you can eat breakfast buffet at the hotel which offered a good, healthy vairety of breakfast food as well as some top quality bacon.

When I next visit Surrey I'm deffinatly going to be staying at the Mandolay Hotel, it provides 5 star service in a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed one Saturday night to see 'Clannad' at G-Live. The hotel was 1 minutes walk away on the other side of the road, so perfect if you are travelling to see an event there.
Room was an executive double and was spotless. Bath and shower were both excellent as was the cooked breakfast buffet with coffee or tea being served within 30 seconds of arriving at a table. The main bar was also great for a late night drink before retiring to the very comfortable bed.....Shame my wife snores!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed before and it was ok, but for some time I noticed that the quality of service drops drastically and even the last time I was not allowed to stop in front to check-in due to lack of space in the car parking - no one was able to tell me where to park!
Think twice before you book.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
guildfordhotel, Public Relations Manager at Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Many thanks for taking time to post your comments; feedback is genuinely appreciated particularly from a regular visitor to the hotel such as yourself.

As you may be aware, Mandolay is the only hotel in the town centre to offer free parking to residents and other hotel users; occasionally this policy leads to a very busy car park.

We could of course alleviate many of the parking issues by introducing a parking fee but we feel this would be unfair to the vast majority of hotel users. The simple fact is that we have a limited number of car parking spaces and these are taken on a first come first served basis.

There are in excess of 300 car parking spaces within easy reach of the hotel and we are always happy to offer directions to guests that find our own car park full.

I sincerely trust that you appreciate the fact that we continue to resist the idea of paid for car parking, preferring instead to offer a free facility to our residents and other hotel users.

Once again, many thanks for your comments I hope that the lack of available free parking did not impact too much on your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandolay very soon.

Please contact me personally via ian.blyth@guildford.com if this response does not fully address your concerns, I would be delighted to help.

Been to Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!