“Hidden Gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Alexandra Terrace | High Street, Guildford GU1 3DA, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy breakfast for less
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Guildford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed at this lovely Hotel Christmas Night! What a Fab place! Didn't know it was there!
The delux rooms were amazing! The Bathrooms were very tastefully decorated very contempory
We didn't see much of the views...but this didn't matter...as it is brilliantly situated walking distance to the centre for Guildford wonderful stopover for future shopping in Guildford!

Room Tip: Nothing to add as this was the perfect Hotel .....really recommend it!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for you Christmas evening.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the décor throughout was to your liking. We are very fortunate to be located at the top of Guildford’s High Street and a short walk from the many retail outlets.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your shopping trip soon.

Peter Wardley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

A really nice hotel, the spa was small but nice. The room had a really nice layout. The breakfast was the best have ever had in a hotel. There was everything fur everyone. A large assortment of cereals and anything you could think of was available, it ticked all the boxes.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your visit to Surrey and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you thought the hotel was nice with well laid out bedrooms and you thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast buffet offering. Should anything else be requested that is not on the buffet, this can be especially made to order.

We do hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed one night after a wedding nearby and this hotel was just what we needed - easy, convenient and VERY comfortable. The bed/bedding/pillows were really comfortable and the bathroom was fully equipped with everything you might need. Definitely recommend it!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel whilst attending a local wedding.

I am delighted to hear you found the hotel easy, convenient and very comfortable. I am pleased the bathroom offered all the amenities needed during your visit and hope to welcome you back on a future visit to Guildford.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We chose the Radisson Blue to host our wedding party when we got married nearby. Luke and the team make the experience absolutely fantastic. The hotel is great, décor is fresh and amenities are great. Luke made sure that the last minute potential stressor disappeared and everyone commented on how helpful the staff were. The rooms are well decorated and clean and the beds very comfy.
We are regular Rad Blu users but this is one of the best so far. Thanks guys for making our stay so amazing!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your wedding reception and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear we provided a faultless service to you and your guests and will pass your comments on to Luke, who prides himself on the high customer service levels delivered. I am pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay and the bedrooms offered all the amenities you needed. I wish you both a happy marriage and hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed here with my other friend's families to attend a local wedding in Guildford. Hotel itself is well located and all shops and amenities are just around the corner. This was probably the only thing we liked about the hotel.. and yes the dinner too.
There were several rip off's in the hotel, which anyone must consider and accommodate in their budget. First one being the charge for the car park. I can understand if the hotel is located in areas like London. But for the amount they charge for the rooms, I personally think the parking must be free for hotel guests.
Another rip off is the spa. Seriously?? Is it a spa?? To be clear, the value for money is just too bad and I really don't wanted to go in depth of it! But please be aware that it is not a large venue and looks like a legoland model version of leisure facilities. Luckily we were not charged to use it.
Another rip off is wifi. Just keeps cutting off in the name of a complimentary wifi. I am sure it must be on a lowest speed available in the market. If not, the management must check or maintain the access points properly.
The rooms were really clean and fresh looking. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner, both in our buffet and also in the restaurant, which looked really good. Compliments to the chef.
The staff were friendly, but for some reason, I could sense some discomfort while we asked some questions about the local places. My wife insisted to use our mobile rather than the staff, and also insisted to return to the hotel for diner.
Overall, a good hotel, but must really need to cut off all small charges. Even other value brands are drifting towards eliminating this trend.

Room Tip: Dine and sleep. Both are good. But avoid the staff if wanting to know something and don't use th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel whilst attending your friends wedding.

I am delighted to hear you found the hotels location convenient for its proximity to the local retail outlets. Our secure underground car park is £10 per 24 hours, however there is a municipal pay and display car park next to the hotel should guests prefer to use this. Our wet spa area is £10 per person on weekends to ensure that numbers can be kept to a minimum to ensure this area remains a tranquil and relaxing place. Our Wi-Fi has been looked into by our central team to ensure the speeds are as high as they should be and this is continually monitored. I am pleased to hear the food offering was to your liking and shall pass your comments on to our Head Chef. I am sorry you felt the staff were not knowledgeable about the local area as they are given weekly tests and audited.

I do hope you will consider returning in the future.

Sydney , Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at the Radisson for 3 weeks in December while working in Guildford and I rate this hotel as good as any that I have stayed in and I have been fortunate enough to stay in some very fine hotels. The employees at this hotel are absolutely brilliant throughout. From a friendly, welcoming, professional front desk, to happy restaurant staff and a special call out to the unseen housekeepers who had the room immaculate each and every day this was a team of people that made my stay feel very much like a second home. The room was modern and roomy, hotel itself is modern and the position in the township is perfect, high street at the end of the lane , shops just around the corner. It was a very busy time for the hotel with Xmas parties but whenever I went to the bar the service was slick and prompt. This is a hotel that knows how to welcome guests and look after them so great credit to all ..... service awards please to Natalia, Mel and Charlie!

Room Tip: Join the Carlson Club, well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Michael,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent business trip to England and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you had a very comfortable 2 weeks with us and found the hotel to be a home from home. Your review serves as a great motivator to the team who all share a passion for great customer service, and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area.

We hope to welcome you back in the New Year and thank you again for your wonderful feedback.

Horsham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My boyfriend booked a two-night stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian hotel in Guildford in November 2013 as a surprise to celebrate our second anniversary. Of course he wanted it to be special but unfortunately it was anything but.

I'm sure this hotel is fine if you are staying in Guildford on business but I would never recommend anyone staying here if they want a romantic break. The first disappointment was to find out on arrival that our package of almost £200 per night didn't include breakfast. Our so-called 'deluxe' room had nothing remotely deluxe about it. It was standard and impersonal - and like another reviewer has pointed out, the lighting is so dingy it was impossible to see to put make-up on properly and made the room quite depressing. We had a frosted glass window which felt claustrophobic. There were tea-making facilities in the room but no biscuits, presumably the idea is to encourage guests to eat the Pringles or Mars bar in the mini-bar, priced at an astounding £3 and almost £4 respectively.

The spa was a bitter disappointment. The pool is a fitness pool, which although it says this on parts of the hotel website, in other parts it is referred to as a pool. I didn't know the significance of the words 'fitness pool' - it is effectively a large bath with contraflow jets so you swim against the water, because basically there isn't enough room to swim properly. We were told we would have to pay £10 each to use the facilities on a Saturday and the payment is to stop the spa becoming too busy. This was despite the fact we were spending £130 between us in the spa on treatments the next day - this just meant we didn't have to pay the £10 on the Sunday. I wouldn't have minded the charge so much if the spa had been any good but it is the smallest and least well-equipped I have ever been in. There are only three facilities, the tiny pool, a sauna and steam room. No jacuzzi and no proper pool meant that £10 felt like we were being ripped off, on top of having to pay for breakfast as an addition to our expensive room - oh and £10 per day parking charges (which we saw afterwards was on the website but was still an unexpected extra cost at the time).

We asked to speak to the hotel manager and the duty manager came to see us. We set out everything we were unhappy with and the additional costs that kept cropping up and he said these things were made clear on the hotel's website. I beg to differ. Additional costs are not found in one place, and the website is very uncustomer-friendly to navigate. The duty manager came back to us to say that we could use the spa for free - by this time it was 5.45pm and there were only two people in there. He also said he would upgrade us to a business room which would put us in a quieter part of the hotel. This room at least had a normal window, although the bath water ran so slowly that we couldn't have a bath.

Then when we went to the spa I couldn't use the pool because the water was so uncomfortably cold. My boyfriend used it but found it cold and one of the two contraflow jets wasn't working. There was so much that we didn't like about this hotel that I wrote a letter of complaint but the reply from Peter Wardley didn't make me feel any better and was less than satisfactory with a lot of justifications. For example, for the temperature of the 'pool' he said that it is heated to 30deg but as it is continually going through a cleaning process with bromine the temperature can go up and down throughout the day. We used the spa once a day, on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, at a different time each time and on none of those occasions was the water warm enough for me to go in and nowhere like 30deg - my boyfriend who will happily brave swimming in a not very warm pool found it uncomfortable but was determined to use it.

Mr Wardley ended his by saying that by way of apology he would offer us a complimentary upgrade of a future booking over the next year. Sadly, nothing would entice me to dream of staying there again. The irony is that on the piece of paper that comes with your door key it says: "Our goal is 100% guest satisfaction for our guests. And we're so committed to it that we guarantee it. If you're not satisfied with something, please let us know during your stay and we'll make it right, or you won't pay for that service. It's that simple. It's guaranteed."

It goes on to say: "There's something about being treated as an individual that makes you feel special. Our ability to deliver genuinely individual service naturally is what makes us unique. It comes from a Yes I can! attitude that means nothing is more important than you."

The Radisson Blu in Guildford spectacularly failed to give us a Yes I can attitude, to make us feel special or to give us anything approaching 100% guest satisfaction.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give full and constructive feedback on your stay with us. I am truly sorry to hear of the issues experienced and I understand entirely how stressful this must have been for you. I do take all feedback very seriously, and, if we fall short of the very high standards which we normally reach, I investigate to try and avoid errors recurring. I have looked into your own situation and can see that errors were made, which I have taken steps to ensure don’t recur. I am sorry that my apology gesture was not well received.

Peter Wardley

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel? Share your experiences!