“Radisson Edwardian Guildford Hotel puts the ”Lux” back into Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Alexandra Terrace | High Street, Guildford GU1 3DA, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 10%
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Guildford
London, United Kingdom
“Radisson Edwardian Guildford Hotel puts the ”Lux” back into Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have a very demanding Monday to Friday job in central London and after working 15 hour days I decided to treat myself to a weekend retreat. After weighing up the options I booked myself into the brand new Luxurious Radisson Guildford.

I e-mailed the hotel directly and received a response from Luanne with-in minutes of my enquiry. I had booked to stay on the Friday and Saturday night, however when something sudden happened at work on the Friday night meaning I couldn’t travel I called the hotel and spoke to Amy who amended the booking for me to the Saturday and Sunday without any bother. I arrived on Saturday evening to Guildford train station from London Waterloo, I could have walked to the hotel but decided to take a taxi which took 5 minutes and cost only £4.50p.

Upon arrival I walked in to the amazing lobby, and was greeted by Thomas the Head concierge, Thomas escorted me over to the reception where my check-in was prompt and courteous. My deluxe room on the first floor was spacious, with a massive bed which was home to no less than 8 pillows. There was a personalised greeting card from Jenni (Guest Relations) with a welcome gift of strawberries dipped in three different types of chocolate. Although on the first floor the room was very quiet and not forgetting spotlessly clean. The spacious bathroom benefited from having both a bath tub and shower. Well done to Radisson for having the guest directory on the TV screen, saves so much time and paper.

Saturday evening I enjoyed a three course meal in the Relish restaurant, both the service and food was World-Class by Enrico and his team. To end the evening I treated myself to a chilled Strawberry Mojito from the bar Wow – The flavour and textures were just amazing.

Sunday I slept in all day and was not disturbed by the staff or any other guest. I had the red do not disturb light on and I really appreciated that the staff respected my privacy. In the evening I decided to go for some fresh air so took the red light off on the way out. I came back from my walk with-in 15 minutes to find the attendant by the door to welcome me back, she explained that the room had been cleaned, and asked if there was anything else I needed. I haven’t experienced this type of service anywhere in the World before; the room had been cleaned around my schedule and not the hotels.

Sunday evening I thought I would enjoy a room service meal; I called and placed my order for Fish and Chips, with a side order of Salt and Pepper Squid. The young lady who took the order advised that the meal will take 20 minutes, and to my surprise the meal arrived in 19 minutes and 55 seconds. It was very tasty.

Finally to top it all of; on check out I was personally greeted by Stephen, the Deputy General Manager, and I was pleased to share my excellent experiences with him.

Thank you for Mr Wardley you have an excellent hotel and staff who are very service minded.

Thank you to everybody at Radisson Guildford for giving a weekend of pure relaxation and luxury, I will be back in 2012 with my family, friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: Upgrade yourself to a Deluxe room for that little extra, its well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Edwardian Guildford Hotel for your recent stay in Surrey.

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team and will help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area.

I would like to thank you for this wonderful feedback and taking the time to acknowledge each member of staff by name.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Edwardian Guildford Hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Peter Wardley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My fiancé and I treated ourselves to this as we were both going out in Guildford. The hotel itself is impressively designed and looks good. We had a seamless check-in and out (even thought the card machines had gone down!) and the staff were excellent and unobtrusive. Given how close the hotel is to the middle of Guildford, I was surprised with how quiet and calm it was.

The room itself was fairly spacious and had all the little comforts and features you could need - but then again you have to ask yourself if you would actually ever need a shoe brush and sweing kit!

The bathroom was absolutely superb. It was well appointed and the shower was excellent. Spacious and classy. Having a separate bath was a great touch - a shame we weren't there long enough to use it. If you don't like 'honey & lemongrass' then you won't want to use the supplied potions!

Regrettably now the gripes start:

The bed is horrible. I like a firm bed but this was like sleeping on a plank. I have stayed in some pretty 'low-key' B&Bs and have never come across a bed as uncomfortable as this. Perhaps once it gets worn down a bit the problem will go away but neither my partner or I were able to get a decent night's sleep. Staying in a hotel like this is a nice splurge every now and then but ultimately the beds at the nearby Travelodge are infinitely more comfortable. First and foremost, a hotel is a place to sleep. This seems to have been overlooked in favour of other 'features'.

The room is incredibly dark. Everything in the room is black. This doesn't help the energy efficient bulbs which take a while to get going - it certianly took a bit of time for our eyes to adjust. This also means that you are very prone to knocking in to things while walking around if, for example, you get up in the middle of the night.

A design flaw was evident in that the cord for the blind was behind a standing light, which was behind a chair. I had to climb on to the chair to get to the cord to draw the blinds - not easy when it's pitch black and the lights are useless!

I have a strong aversion to paying over-the-odds for a hotel breakfast when it's not a business trip. We saved ourself the hassle by taking a brisk walk down to the Wetherspoons for a much better value breakfast. If that isn't your cup of tea (so to speak!) then you are close enough to the town centre to visit any of the usual suspects for something to eat.

We happened to arrive at the hotel as an event was getting underway at the nearby arts centre, G-Live. Normally you would be able to park on the local side streets (including the one right in front of the entrance) for free overnight (charged Mon-Sat 9-4). However, all these streets were full of the Range Rovers and BMWs due to the G-Live event so I reserted to parking in a nearby multi-storey overnight (which was only £1)

Overall, the hotel is OK but I would never stay there at full price (we were on a special rate). The location, design and bathroom are perfect but it fails to impress on some of the major things.

Room Tip: Bring a torch!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Guildford.

I’m pleased to hear that your stay was a mainly pleasant one. In regards to the issues you have raised, we will be looking into these as all feedback is taken into account whether positive or negative and allows us to tailor our services to our guests needs.

I hope that you will consider returning to the Hotel on a future visit to the area.

Torino, Italia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

The new Radisson in Guildford is one of the most beautiful hotels where I have stayed in latest years. Since the entrance in this hotel you notice that it has been just restructured or even rebuilt from the scratch: everything is absolutely new and functional. Rooms are very spatious and bathrooms equipped with bath and shower. Beds very comfortable with a lot of pillows. Some possible remarks are the corridors that are really very long and if you have a remote room expect to walk a lot to reach it and the sorroundings of the hotel that are not so pleasant (especially the views from the windows, on a car park...). Room prices on the other hand are not really cheap, but consider that quality has a cost.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Edwardian Guildford Hotel for your recent trip to the area.

I’m delighted to hear that your stay with us was a relaxing one and that the bedrooms offered you a comfortable night.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on a future visit.

Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I regret that I stayed at the hotel for one night only!
The hotel is very charming with an excellent interior. Rooms are quite big and equipped with everything one needs. I don't need to mention that everything was very clean and in perfect condition. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I also enjoyed the breakfast which was a perfect start to the day. One last comment about the bed: Just absolutely amazing!
So all thumbs up for the Radisson Edwardian Guildford!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

I’m extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything met to your needs during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on a future visit to Guildford.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Our only challenge was finding it. Tucked away off the High Street, we drove past twice. However, once we spotted its rather impressive chandelier we soon had the car tucked into the underground car park. In truth we had heard mixed reviews about the hotel's design, but it really worked for us. Eclectic, bohemian and fun. The staff were really welcoming and our room was lovely (we were in 401 which had a bedroom and seating area) If we had any criticism it was that breakfast was a little chaotic at 9.30 on Sunday morning, but it did look like the whole hotel had arrived down at the same time as us. After breakfast we took a stroll down Guildford High Street before heading home. When we go back to Guildford this will certainly be our hotel of choice.

Room Tip: This hotel is brand new. I am sure every room is nice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Edwardian Guildford Hotel for your recent trip and posting your review on this site.

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites and you enjoyed the retail outlets Guildford has to offer whilst staying with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Guildford.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011 via mobile

Our stay at the radisson was fabulous. We were treated like royalty the moment we walked through the door with incredibly helpful staff and really smart, relaxing surroundings. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. Slept really well. The bar had a lovely relaxed atmosphere and good selection of wines. Central location with everything in easy reach and walk able. Great value-overall very impressed.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We are very proud of our new Hotel and have tried to ensure that the service we provide is what people expect from the Radisson Edwardian brand.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on a future visit.

Barking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We arrived late afternoon on a Saturday for a three day Christmas shopping stay. All staff very helpful as soon as we arrived, We were advised that breakfast was from 7.30 to 11.00 when we checked in.
The room was of a reasonable size, but must admit that the corner shower for a 6'3" large framed gentleman was rather cramped - also we found it rather dark in the room despite the addition of two or three extra lamps
However, the room was very comfortable and was very quiet - we did overlook over some roofs of the buildings next door, but it was not the end of the world.
Sunday morning breakfast was OK, but at £17.50 per head was a little disappointed as it was buffet and most of the food had been lying about for some time.
We spent the day shopping and on our return at 17.30 found that our room had not been made up - we were very tired but were offerd a pot of tea in the bar area -a bottle of wine would have been more realistic - but there you go !
Despite sitting in the bar area on several occassions, we were not once offered a menu to contemplate our evening meal location - so we eat out every night.
On the Monday morning we duly arrived for breakfast at 10.20 and the waitress looked at her watch and advised that we were just in time ! - evidently the time for breakfast during the week is 7.30 to 10.30 - Opps ! - the strange thing was that three other couples arrived after us and assumed that breakfast times were 7.30 to 11.00
There is obviously a lack of information in the hotel generally - there was no information guide in our room, so we had to rely on the staff to advise of times etc
Apart from these minor points, the staff were very helpful and friendly- we will certainly visit again as the local restaurants and shopping facilities are really fabulous

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and choosing the Radisson Edwardian Guildford for your recent stay.

All our Hotel information and Restaurant and Bar menu’s are on the in room televisions to cut down on paper usage and comply with our green credentials. However, a member of staff should have offered a menu to you whilst you were in the Bar and I will ensure the Manager of the Restaurant is made aware of this not having happened.

I’m delighted that the remainder of your stay was enjoyable and hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.

Peter Wardley

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Guildford Hotel? Share your experiences!