“Meal and a half!” 5 of 5 stars

01483 459 777
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 228 Restaurants in Guildford
Cuisines: Argentinean, South American, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Meal and a half!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

In a very relaxed yet classy setting it is difficult not to enjoy the Cau experience. The steaks are cooked to perfection and the staff are very attentive.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Happiness on a plate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went for dinner with colleagues, one of whom was in a wheelchair, and ended up in Cau as a default as the restaurant booked was very cavalier about access. The lady on the door came out to open the doors for us, and although we had not booked a table was quickly found for us. It was relatively busy, but we were served promptly and by a very friendly and helpful waitress. A shared starter of flatbread and dips was brought, along with the drinks (I had a white wine - which was fabulous!). Main for me was steak - and what a steak. Tender, rare and succulent. The chunky chips were not greasy and oh so tasty. I'm lactose intolerant, and when I asked for a side of sweetcorn without butter, it was provided exactly as requested. Will certainly be returning here when in Guildford.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you are looking for nice affordable food, this is perfect. Not a bad word I could possibly say about the food quality. Will be going again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston
“Very nice place with quality food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Coming from Texas, I was a bit skeptical after a few steak experiences in the UK. This was very good. The quality of even the sirloins was top notch. The sauces were excellent and what a great chocolate fondant dessert! The staff was attentive even on a very busy night.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Steak cooked to perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I went for late dinner with at Cau with my other half as we love our steak! The restaurant was welcoming and not too busy and we were served quickly. For starters he ordered crispy smokey fish cakes and I ordered delicate mussels in buttery coconut sauce.They were perfectly seasoned and fell away from the shell. He enjoyed a flask of red wine which smelt delicious and was apparently lovely, and it took all my willpower to resist!
For mains we had steak, with light crispy chips on the side, served in sweet little metal fryers.
I ordered ribeye cooked rare, which was perfectly cooked and aged so that it melted on the tongue, blood-red and rich with flavour, narrow vein of fat along the length of the steak. My other half ordered the Lomito, a fat dark hunk of steak mouthwateringly chargrilled on the outside and meltingly rich on the inside. The seasoning complemented the meat perfectly and silence descended as we savoured it. For these steaks I have only one word: sublime.
The dessert menu was diverse and appealing, but eventually we went for a big bowl with every flavour of icecream. They were superb, lightly sweet and richly creamy. My favourite was the guest flavour, the savoury-sweet pistachio.
This restaurant was a treat and I will definitely be back again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere