“Very Enjoyable Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Guildford
Grand Junction
“Very Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for 3 nights. We had some concerns after reading reviews, mainly about noise. We had a lovely 2 room suite on the top floor. While there was some noise from High Street, it was not bad and we slept very well. The historic nature of the hotel is nice, and the location on High Street is close to everything. Our only complaint would be the extremely low water pressure on the shower, but we understand it's a local issue, not one unique to the hotel. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeremy M, General Manager at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Steve,

Thank you for reviewing The Angel Hotel Guildford and for your constructive comments regarding the water pressure. This is something that affects properties on the High St due to the older pipework, but we are making efforts to improve where possible.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Jeremy Muscat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed at the Angel Hotel Guildford UK Room 216 (twin) for one night on the 18th June 2012 having read the reviews on Trip Advisor which appeared okay.

The room was shabby with peeling wallpaper on 3 of the 4 walls, dirty curtains & ground in dirt on the edges of the carpet a several marks in places. All the furniture & furnishings were very dusty & in very poor condition. I paid £119.00 room only this was not value for money!

When I pulled back the bed sheets I found human hair! As the bed seemed, unclean I slept between two duvets. The bathroom had a brown stained toilet bowl which the Manager explained was due to its age! The paint work was peeling around the mirror & the vanity unit was very worn. The floor was dirty in the corners were it had not been cleaned correctly.

I showed the room to Simon (on duty Reception ) who was unable to offer any real reason for the condition of the room.

The whole hotel was covered in dust & at breakfast when I sat down & looked across the tables in the sunlight I noticed they had been set without being dusted or cleaned. Again I reported this to Simon.

The Managment complemented my breakfast which was just okay & offered me a £30.00 reduction on the room rate making this £89.00 per night! I still think was to much, £50.00 would be more reasonable gesture! If I could I would not have stayed here but due to my late check in I had no alternative.

The hotel in its day must have been nice & is steeped in 'that old world charm' It is centrally located with courteous & charming staff.

Finally the hotel advertises on their website that it has a restaurant but it is closed Down so you have to eat outI

There is no real excuse for an unclean & shabby hotel ...

Room Tip: Dont stay in 216(twin rm)and make sure that you ask for a room in a quiat lockation?and that the roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is a shame that you felt your stay was not worth the price that you paid. It is clear from your review that you were most unhappy with various aspects of your stay. During the conversation we had recently, you did make it very clear that you were looking to obtain a substantial refund for your stay which in light of the fact you failed to bring your disastisfaction to our attention within a reasonable timeframe for us to be able to rectify, I said I was not prepared to offer.

To state that the whole hotel was covered in dust feels to me to be an overstatement, and as I tried to explain during our conversation, the hair in your room most probably came from the two dogs that you brought into the hotel, despite us only allowing guide-dogs.

Mistakes will happen, we try to minimise these, but in light of our conversation and your feeling it necessary to raise matters which clearly did not affect your stay, I fear you were simply looking for a cheaper night's stay.

We certainly hope that you will find a hotel in Guildford that better suites your requirements in future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Booked a suite here for a special night away and disappointed by how ordinary it was. Impressive room size and opulent decor, but the room wasn't very comfortable. Street noise (even on the back) disturbed us and it was hot and stuffy (no air-con) when we closed the windows (sash - not double glazed and soundproof). The bathroom looked sensational, but the shower door was so still I couldn't move it and had to squeeze through a tiny gap. The waterfall effect shower head was covered with limescale which affected the flow. Continental breakfast was disappointing, meagre portions and no fresh fruit (just a tinned fruit salad with those plastic cherries!) and my husband was charged £2 extra for ordering a cooked breakfast. For this price, we expected something special; this hotel is far more ordinary than it claims. We checked into the Premier Inn (Parkway) for our second night for a third of the price and felt we got far better value for money and far better service.

Room Tip: A Boots delivery lorry unloads on the front between midnight and 2am. We were on the opposite side...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Angel Hotel Guildford.

As previously mentioned, we are in the process of fitting all rooms with Air Conditioning in the coming months. All windows are being repaired (although not secondary glazed due to Grade I listing) and the bathrooms in the older rooms are being refurbished.

I can assure you the fruit in the continental breakfast is not from a can or tin, it is prepared freshly each day, and we do charge a £2 supplement to upgrade from a continental breakfast to a full english breakfast.

The hotel makes no claims that I am aware of, and our prices are truly reflective of value within the local marketplace given the size of rooms offered and facilities available. Whilst I have no doubt that Premier Inn offer a suitable product for your requirements, I can assure you, they do not offer a room with a four-poster bed for £79 on the weekend.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

The history here is truley the draw. Not many places have been around as long as this hotel. The decore and cleanliness is impecable. The food is pretty good, you can do better with a short walk.
They have a clock in the lobby that's been keeping time since 1680.

Here's the problem, I stayed in a junior suite, the room was beautiful the bath was clean and modern. It was a maze to find it however, as I stay in a lot of hotels I always make note of an exit route in case of an emergency. I have doubts that I could have found my way out of here in the dark. Aside from that when they redid the rooms they should have spent the money and replaced the windows, they are single pane and my room overlooked a cobblestone street. So, every thing and anyone who walked down the street sounded like they were in your room. I didn't sleep well because of this. Also there is no airconditioning, I use it to make a constant noise that drowns out the background but that was not available here.
My colleages stayed in other areas of the hotel and had the same complaint.

I did however liked the town, the restaurants and pubs.

Room Tip: Stay on the back side away from the cobbelstone street
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jeremy M, General Manager at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Angel Hotel for your stay in Guildford. We are really pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable.

I can assure you that following liaison with Surrey Fire Brigade we have plenty of emergency signage providing evacuation information, more than adequate emergency lighting and emergency evacuation details on the back of every bedroom door in the hotel. I agree that the hotel can be a little deceptive from the outside, as generally people don't anticipate just how big the building is inside!

The room that you were in would have been in the oldest part of the hotel and as such our Grade I listing prevents us from adding double or even secondary glazing. This does mean that our guests can be subjected to the usual traffic noise that one would expect from a cobble high st. My Advice is to book early, and request a room toward the back of the building if you are a light sleeper or concerned about a little noise.

Finally, I happy to be able to announce that air conditioning is being installed in the rooms over the coming months. This will make our rooms beautiful and cool in the summer, and give us an edge on the competition as there are few hotels in Guildford offering the comfort, quality and history that can boast fully air-conditioned rooms.

montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The Angel Hotel did a great come back since M Jeremy Muscat took over. Rooms are nice, all services were impeccable and the staff are professional. I stayed for a week and I can truly say that I have nothing negative to point out. Nice breakfast variety not mentioning the food quality. I recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of stopping by Guildford. although it was a business trip, I would like to thank M Muscat and all the staff of the Angel Hotel for making my stay comfortable and enjoyable. I definitely look forward for my next stay.

R. AKL

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Jeremy M, General Manager at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Mr Akl,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. We were so glad to have the opportunity to welcome you back after a couple of years and show you the changes we have made to improve the facilities and service we provide.

My team and I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the near future when you next return to Guildford.

No Woman's Land
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is quite a nice house. When I first entered it, I went "wow" because the historic staircase is impressive and our room was nicely furnished. Our friends' room was far better though, on the sunny side, larger and with a dressing table. I guess it depends on what you get. The old bathroom was beautiful. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the house itself is right at the centre of Guildford. Obviously, that means there is some normal street noise at night, but that is to be expected at a town centre and it's nice to walk outside and start shopping in the morning.

So far, so good. However, there were some negative points about the house itself, considering its relatively high price. For once, the website claims that they have an elevator. This is not true or at least not applicable, as their elevator only goes up from the guest floor, not down, so you will have to walk the steep staircase. I didn't like the fact that they lie about this on the website as one of my guests finds it difficult to walk stairs. She also struggled with the bathtub that acts as a shower,too, without having a shower curtain or any kind of door (which essentially means that you flood your bathroom when showering). The bathtub does not have any sort of handle to hold onto while getting into. So,all in all, this is not a house for people with mobility issues and they should make that clear on their website.

My other issue with this hotel is that for this price, breakfast should really be included. I was told in the email that it would be for the last three mornings, but they denied this. I argued with them about it for a while as I had saved the email that confirmed it, but they claimed that breakfast was "never included with online bookings" and wouldn't relent. This is another part where I felt "cheated" and my previous email correspondence with the hotel had not been very reliable either. For example, their quoted price on email went up between the quote and my immediate reply that I wanted to book it. Dodgy practices right there.

By the way, the breakfast is not worth the money. It's 7.50 for the most part, for a regular breakfast that's nothing special and takes a long time to be brought. You also get a tiny cup of weak coffee with it. I would suggest skipping breakfast and going next door to Caffe Nero instead. Infinitely better and cheaper.

I have to admit that despite all this, the staff were friendly and helpful for the most part. They looked up restaurant numbers for us, called taxis (although we had to remind them once because it had been forgotten), googled a flight arrival for me, let us store our luggage behind the reception desk on the last day.

So, overall, not an incredible place and pricey for what it is, but the house and the rooms are truly lovely.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and thank you for choosing The Angel Hotel.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed the hotel and the history behind the building, I'm also glad that you found your room to be as expected and your bed comfortable.

It is true that due to the nature of the building, there are a fair few stairs throughout the hotel, and the lift is available to take guests from the 1st to the 3rd floors, but not to the ground floor.

We think our prices reflect the quality of our product and I work to ensure that daily checks are placed on the rates to ensure they best reflect the marketplace in and around Guildford. Our room rates will vary from day to day and only start to increase as the hotel gets busier, so we always advise our customers to book as early as possible. With a 24hr cancellation policy, there's always plenty of time to change your booking if your plans change.

That you found your rate to increase between the quote and booking could only possibly be as a result of an online booking taking place in this short space of time. All of our receptionists are trained to quote prices from our booking system.

We offer a range of different breakfasts at the hotel at varying prices but as you state, there are various options available in Guildford for our guests to take advantage of should they choose.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback, which I will use to ensure we provide a service more suited to your needs on your next stay.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this otherwise beautiful and historic hotel last Friday night. We had a lovely room and the front desk manager was very friendly. However, at about 2AM, I was woken up by the strangest sounds from the room above. It sounded like furniture being shifted violently across the room from one end to the other. Things were being dropped with force on the floor. Lots of rumbling and rolling sounds. My daughter was also woken up by this sound. Totally lost sleep. This eerie commotion went on for over an hour and I tried to call the front desk but the line was dead and there was no connection. I wonder if there was anybody on duty at this hotel at that time.

The next morning I asked the front desk girl what this was about and she said she didn't really know and was quite abrupt in her response. She also mentioned that there was nobody staying above our room to cause such commotion. I asked her to find out but she seemed quite indifferent to my concern. It is well known that the hotel is haunted and those who believe in spirits might attribute all the horrible noises we heard to unhappy ghosts lurking in the hotel. We would love to know if there is any other explanation to this.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Angel Hotel for your recent stay.

I can confirm that we have a reception presence in the hotel 24hrs a day, and have personally checked the phone in your room which is connected. Why it failed to work at that time is something of a mystery.

Additionally, the information that Julia gave you was correct in that there was nobody staying in the room above yours. Whilst I couldn't say for sure it was a ghost, I am aware that we have had visitors from the past make appearances! With the hotel being some 800 years old in places, there are always groans and moans coming from the floors and walls, but nothing similar to what you describe!

Please accept my apologies for the disturbance in the night. Next time you stay, we'll be sure to allocate you a room towards the back of the hotel which is far newer and (i'm reliably informed!) less haunted!

Jeremy Muscat

Been to Angel Posting House and Livery? Share your experiences!