“Fantastic value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Guildford YMCA
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Bridge Street, Guildford GU1 4SB, England   |
Ranked #11 of 24 Guildford B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed at the Guildford YMCA for a prolonged period last month. The basics are well and truly covered as the premises are generally quite clean, there's a daily towel change service and WiFi access in most rooms.

I found the Single En-Suite rooms adequately spacious, although the modernised bathrooms can be a tight fit.

The food at the Y Restaurant was always served with a smile, and was consistently prepared to a good standard. The breakfast selection was notably impressive for the money.

Conclusively, for the money there's not much better if you're after a central location. Thank you to the floor staff (reception, kitchen and laundry) who made my stay most enjoyable.

Room Tip: River-facing single en-suites are good, although TV reception on certain channels can suffer.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is an excellent place to stay. It is newly built with an intelligent design. I stayed in an en suite single room at £55 per night. There is a pleasant restaurant view over the River which runs beside the YMCA. I ate two breakfasts and a dinner here and the food was excellent. I am a vegetarian but I could see the meat dishes were attractive and imaginative too. The staff I met were bright and welcoming; the location is central, right by the railway station but my room was quiet. It is very good value for money.

Room Tip: I don't know enough about the rest of the building to say more than that my room 143, on the fir...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I travelled alone and stayed for one night in August & I could not fault a thing.

The hostel is located on the opposite side of the road to the train station and a 5 minute walk into the centre where there are lots of shops and restaurants, so a perfect location.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a friendly receptionist who could not have been more helpful. He provided me with everything I needed and all the information regarding Wi-fi, breakfast and luggage storage. The following day I had to check out by 10am but my train was not until 7pm so they were kind enough to keep my luggage stored away in a locked room until I came to collect it.

The room was one single bed and a shared bathroom. To my surprise, I never had to wait for the bathroom to become available as each shared bathroom is only shared with one other person. The shower wasn't too powerful but it did the job. The room itself was clean and had plenty of drawer and wardrobe space which I did not use as only there for one night. There was a sink in the room as well as a television and tea and coffee facilities. The bed was a single bed and extremely comfortable.

The only downside to my stay was that it was A Level results night so a club/bar near by was extremely busy on a Thursday night and the music and people were very loud from around 10pm until early hours, however this is no reflection on the hostel itself.

Overall a perfect stay for what I actually needed the room for. I didn't have the opportunity to attend breakfast but it was included in the price I paid. Would highly recommend a stay here as it is great value for money and a lot cheaper and in a better location than some of the hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

....at the end of our boating trip on the Wey Navigation was excellent and very reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly and helpful - setting up tables for us outside in the sunshine. A full English breakfast was £4.85 which included toast and tea or coffee. There is a lighter version for £4.20 and they also do a continental breakfast. The restaurant is clean and has a great view over the canal. All in all, we had a great time on this, our second visit and I think it has become a fitting finale to our annual weekend on the canal boat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is probably the only option if you need to spend a night in Guildford. The few hotels are over expensive, BBs are spread out and not too cheap either. YMCA is very covenient, central, close to the station and well catered for. Something more than a regular hostel, with studio ensuite rooms, kitchens at every floor, social and events venues. The breakfast room overlooks the river and provides adequate meals. However it is certainly no frills, rooms are very standard, basic to sadness. Again the ubiquitous presence of the carpet does not help fresness and smell. Noise is also a problem as the hostel is surrounded by main roads on three sides, being basically placed in the middle of a roundabout. Being the only affordable accommodation in town you may also get overnight people coming back from pubs and discos, which face the hostel. Rooms facing the quiet side are recommendable as they also overlook the river.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face busy streets, but there is a quiet side overlooking the river. Riverfacing ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked one night Single, shared bathroom, and 12 days Twin Ensuite. The shared toilet / bathroom are unexpected clean. Single good and nice.

Nice Twin Ensuite, big bathroom, clean. Room lighting is bit dim, no desk lamp. There is no thermostat for the heater, if I need to open the window, I can't closed the curtain! Closed the curtain, window can't open, funny!! Room privacy concerned, next to the river walkway. People can see from the bridge and the opposite building. Also another funny things is, long stay Kattle will not provided as replied from front desk! (I know there's one in the Kitchenette, but don't want to clean everytime just for a cup of hot water.) Mattress too soft.

Food are nice. Breakfast, a bit cold. Staff we met are nice. Kitchenette is clean and tidy.

One thing I must point out, one night around 19:00 while I am using the shared PC, a man came to me and ask for clothes, while I am thinking what's going on, he said he is homeless. I told him I travel here and don't have spare, he's frustrated and he asked for money...... What I want to point out your front desk staff should give clear directions and watch if this man is going to the right way, not disturb any other people. May be that's why all local friends of mine know I am staying in YMCA gives negative repsones. After that, I am quite concern the security and why my room didn't have additional inside lock. Hope next visit your renovation work finished and all rooms equiped with internet.

In conclude, YMCA is a good choice, good value of money. However, if you are female and not accompany with a man, you should consider your safety / security.
We have a pleasant stay and YMCA would be my first choice of next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
wiltshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have been staying at the YMCA Guildford for the past few weeks as I am on business in the area. I have been staying at least 3 nights a week at a cost of £54 a night so not cheap. This week I have been accommodated on a different floor in the hostel and I noticed there were no tea/coffee facilities in the room as there had been on previous stays. I asked the staff member on duty if I was able to access these facilities, he was very rude and said he was unable to confirm on what basis I had booked my room as these facilites are not available to all guests. I confirmed I was a fully paying guest at the hostel and his suggestion of me taking up my issue with the manager in the morning, I felt, was unacceptable. This attitude has put me off staying here, I was made to feel like a stupid school girl rather than the legal professional that I am, and his 'don't give a damn' attitude stank!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GuildfordYMCA, Manager at Guildford YMCA, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
At Guildford YMCA staff take customer care and service very seriously, and we were upset to read about this guest's experience. I was able to contact her whilst she was still staying with us, and I hope assured her that this matter will be dealt with approprately and quickly as we do not wish our guests to leave our premises with a bad impression. This guest sent a very gracious and understanding response to my communication, and will hopefully make a return visit to us in the future.

Been to Guildford YMCA? Share your experiences!