“Convenient for University” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Guildford
uk
“Convenient for University”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel as our son is in his first year at the University so it is very convenient for us to visit or stay when we drop him off.

The staff we have come across are very friendly and efficient, check in and out quick and simple. Bar and lounge area very cosy and lovely to come in to a 'coal' fire, think its probably gas, after coming in from the cold also spotlessly clean. We have not used the restaurant or leisure facilities so can't comment.

Room cleanliness very good though I did spot a few areas that could be improved upon mainly in the bathroom, though nothing to complain about.

Both myself and my husband found the bed far too hard and uncomfortable, it was the same the last time though in a different room. Hypnos beds, I have slept on these before in other hotels and find them the same. I woke both mornings with back ache, these beds would benefit from a mattress topper to soften it a bit.

The hotel is quiet at night no traffic noise that we noticed and no light pollution, nice thick curtains to keep out the light, wifi is available though not free like in most hotels we stay in, paid the first time we stayed but didn't bother the second time, just used our phones instead.

The hotel is well situated for us, just down the road from the University and a short drive to Guildford which has a huge car park which is easy to find right near the cinema and some other restaurants.

If you plan your trip you can get a great rate, both times only paid 75 per night would not pay full rate have found best rates are usually 3- 4 weeks before you travel though should imagine it depends on the time of year and what they have on or how full they are.

Overall would recommend and will stay again despite the beds purely for convenience but may try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Good Morning,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am delighted you scored us 4 stars and would recommend us. I am disappointed you had a bad nights sleep due to the mattress. We would very much like you to return to the hotel on some future occasion, and we would be able to arrange a mattress topper to make your stay more comfortable. Please request at time of booking and we can add this to your profile. Thank you for your comments regarding bathroom cleanliness, which I have forwarded to our Housekeeping Manager for her immediate review. Once again, many thanks for your feedback and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Nick Aristodemou. Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We are currently staying here and have been for over two weeks because our house flooded over Christmas, and our insurance have placed us here. I feel that due to the length of our stay, we are in a good position to write a very well-informed review!!

I also need to mention that my husband is very poorly and currently under-going intensive hospital treatment, so the proximity to the hospital for us was most important.

Rooms:
We are living in our room for long periods each day, and it is very comfortable, practical and clean. It is large enough to have space to sit, and work, or eat, on the comfortable sofa. The beds are comfortable and changed regularly. The maids come every day and provide clean towels, etc. My husband has to spend long periods in bed, but they still manage to keep the room clean.

Food:
We are eating here for breakfast and dinner every night. The breakfast buffet offers everything you could want, for either a hot, continental, or simple breakfast, and the staff are brilliant. It is busy at times, but its a hotel - and never have I come to breakfast and not been treated the same as always - busy or not!
Dinner menus offer a good variety of sandwiches, salads and main meals. Even after eating here for over two weeks, im still not bored of the menu!! Plenty of choice for all palates!!

Spa
I am a keen swimmer, so have used the pool most days. Im not a gym user, but my son has used it and said it was good. The pool is a fair size for a hotel pool - ( 15m) so you can actually swim properly, which makes me happy, and most of the time it wasn't too busy so I was able to have a good swim. The spa pool, steam and sauna are good too. My only critiscm, is the changing rooms which definitely need an update. Most of the lockers don't work very well, and the showers are a bit tired.

Staff
This is the best part - they are nothing short of amazing!! So kind and helpful. I had so many needs because of my husband, and they couldn't do enough to help!! I would like to mention Suprason, Nithin, Joe, Tracey, Freddie and Chloe especially as they really did go the extra mile for us!!!

Overall:
The hotel has a welcoming feel as soon as you walk in. A big fireplace lends it warmth on both a physical and ambient level. The reception staff are great, and theres plenty of room for visiting friends ( which we had a fair few of) to sit and have a drink with in the lounge and bar.

If you want to stay somewhere that will look after your needs, and be comfortable, clean and practical, then the Holiday inn in Guildford is the best there is!

Personally, I think we will find it hard to leave!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear lorraineereira,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted you feel 'home from home'. Thank you for your feedback regarding the Spirit changing rooms and lockers, I will of course review this with the Health Club Manager. Do let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your stay more comfortable.

Kind regards

Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for business reasons. You will need to get up early as breakfast is rather crazy. Many people are staying here for business purposes nearby and it's a bit of a scrum. The staff are really polite but seem quite overworked at breakfast time and they are really busy. The rooms are fairly basic in nature but this time the bed was much more comfortable. It is a three star, short stay hotel but feels comfortable and safe enough. There is a car park which is free and a nearby bus stop which will take you into Guildford.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear FayeD88,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following you recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. Thank you for your kind comments regarding are staff. I am sorry you felt breakfast was rather busy, I have asked my Restaurant Manager to look in to these comments to see where we can improve the service we offer our guests. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Choose this hotel because of its proximity to my business meetings and expected a level of quality and comfort that I get at Holiday Inn hotels in North America. This hotel was definitely not up to par and is in dire need of a facelift.
The staff are friendly and helpful and that's the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. If you are travelling to Guilford stay somewhere else.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Grist101,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to standard. I would very much like to discuss your experience further and would like to invite you to contact me either by email nick.aristodemou@ihg.com or by calling 07736 746 513.

Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

A pleasant stay, rooms look very smart, and were clean. We could hear the people in the room next door as we had adjoining doors in the room, but we were in the same party so this didn't especially matter. A few noisy midnight revellers but when we mentioned this the next morning the receptionist immediately apologised and asked if she could compensate us - we didn't take her up on this offer as the noise only lasted for a few minutes, and compared to other members of our party staying in the same hotel we got off lightly on the noise front! This is to be expected in Christmas Party season. Breakfast very good, love the pancake machine!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Louise240809,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am sorry to hear you were disturbed during the night. I can understand how your experience with us could have been negatively affected by this. I do hope, however, that in all you enjoyed your time with us and our standards and service came up to your expectations. Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Lancashire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Customer service was the usual high standard associated with Holiday Inn. My room was clean and spacious. Unfortunately two issues let the hotel down. 1) My side order of vegetables was barely cooked (they were removed from my bill without hesitation). 2) The showers in the male changing room in the leisure club were black with mould. (The hotel management have assured me that they are looking into this). Breakfast was extensive but the food could have been warmer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Logic78,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review and for speaking with us during your stay to give us your feedback. Customer feedback forms a vital part of our business and it is through constructive comments that we are able to strive to improve the service we offer our guests.May I thank you for bringing these matters to my attention, and I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again on some future occasion.

guildford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had Christmas Day here this year and stayed the night, I could not fault any aspect of it. The Christmas lunch was superb, the staff were all friendly and attentive and the rooms and breakfast were of a high standard. Well done.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guildfordmum,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your Christmas break. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Happy New Year.

Nick Aristodemou, Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Guildford? Share your experiences!