“Afternoon Tea @ Wotton House (April 2013)” 4 of 5 stars

Wotton House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Guildford Road | Wotton, Dorking RH5 6HS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Near Guildford
“Afternoon Tea @ Wotton House (April 2013)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our party of 4 had afternoon tea @ £14 per head, served in the Morning room which is a nice quiet room, that backs onto the grounds at the rear of the hotel.

The service was excellent and we were made to feel very welcome the whole time. Drawing pencils & paper were provided for my daughter which was a welcome touch. We had the room to ourselves which was an added bonus.

The tea itself is fair value for money; it's more a 'standard' afternoon tea than an upmarket one but plentiful refills of tea were provided and a good quantity of nice of sandwiches. The scones were just slightly the wrong side of fresh and the cakes were filling but a little too sweet (the small macaroons were nice though). However £14 p/p is less than what many hotels are currently charging hence I say the afternoon tea is reasonable value.

The hotel has some lovely characterful reception rooms (especially the Old Library and Bar) and the grounds are beautiful (we were blessed with a little sun).

Overall I was very glad I picked this hotel for afternoon tea but I would say that the quality of the food could do with a small amount of improvement.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
WottonHouse, General Manager at Wotton House, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the Hotel for an Afternoon Tea.

I am delighted to hear that your experience was such a pleasant one and that you found the service to be excellent.

It was also good to hear that you found the tea to be value for money and that you enjoyed the Hotels magnificent gardens.

I do hope that you will return to Wotton House again in the near future and I thank you once again for feedback.

Kind regards

Thomas Armes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

You MUST visit this hotel!

The whole stay was simply amazing and far exceeded my expectations and I can speak for the whole group when I say we were so well looked after by absolutely everyone. All the bar staff were superb, especially the night guy who served us drinks until 2am and made suggestions on desert wines (I forget his name though). Jess at dinner was attentive and always quietly available. She kept the music going and the wine topped up and was able to answer all our questions regarding the menu. She was a real star! The food was sublime, tasty and quick and all 8 of us were served at the same time. Breakfast was great.... we were all sat together despite arriving at seperate times and were left to sit at the table for a long time after we'd finished eating. Rooms were lovely and comfortable and robes in each room was a really nice touch, as were the macaroons!

The local vineyard, Denbies, was also great and the lovely lady who toured us made it really special. Definitely worth a visit!

The hotel was full of character and charm and I really can't recommend it any more, for couples and groups.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto this website.

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the venues stunning location and gardens. It was also great to hear that my staff were hospitable throughout your stay especially the bar staff!

Naturally, we would be delighted to welcome you back to Wotton House in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your kind comments.

New Romney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The entrance, grounds, reception and downstairs were beautiful. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. My room was a little dated and not quite as luxurious as I had hoped (given the rest of the hotel), the TV has huge and the picture was not of a good quality but overall it was fine.
I swam in the pool which was lovely, the receptionist was very helpful.
The food was quite good and the waiters were extremely attentive. The choice at breakfast was excellent. I would stay here again because it had such a lovely feel to it. I imagine this would be a good wedding venue.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto this website, we value our customer’s feedback and check Trip Advisor regularly to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

I was pleased to read that you found all staff to be pleasant and helpful and that you found time for a dip in our health club. We do pride ourselves on our food and service within the Tempus restaurant so it was great to hear that you found the choice and quality of the food to be excellent.

I am sorry that your room was not as luxurious as you would have hoped; we are currently undergoing a soft refurbishment programme across a number of our bedrooms so I do hope you will visit us again to sample this.

Thank you once again for your kind comments.

Paignton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We went here on a dinner B&B deal. It was everything we expected and more. What a fantastic setting. It is a very interesting place with a lots of history.
First we explored the grounds and then the hotel interior. The chapel available for weddings was fascinating. The staff were very good, as was the food, in particular the sumptuous buffet breakfast.
we found our 1night was not enough to enjoy all the facilities like the pool and spa, and the complimentary visit to a nearby winery. We will have to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the venues stunning location and that you found the history of the property fascinating. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast.

Naturally, we would be delighted to welcome you back to Wotton House in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your very kind comments.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed on a two night B&B with one evening meal included. The allowance was generous at £32.00 for the complimentary meal and allowed us to take anything from the menu.
The food though good was not the best. My chicken pate looked like a slice from a purchased pack, I would like more colour in my veg not just green beans. Apart from that the breakfast was on help yourself basis from the buffet. (wish they could afford a commercial toaster as the only way to get toast was using a four slice domestic toaster that took it seemed ages to brown the bread - we gave up on the second morning and had a bread roll).
The hotel itself, being originally built in 1086 really felt like it had a history. It was lovely and different. The gardens are set out formally and on the Italian theme designed by Evelyn back in history, where he brought plants and statues from his travels in Europe. Being an environmentalist he supported reforestation. (they will give you a hand out of the history).
The staff were the best, professional, polite and willing to talk and give information. The bedroom was clean and fresh, so too the bathroom with lovely fresh thick white towels.
The spa again was worth visiting with the swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. The changing rooms were well equipped with everything needed including the spin dryer for the wet costumes.
In the hotel the old library holds weddings and other parties This weekend there was a 'ladies spa weekend' so the place was fairly full, but it did not feel that way.
Drinks were pricey but to be expected at such an establishment. I felt relaxed and refreshed. I would certainly go back if I can get the right offer.

Room Tip: it appeared the rooms were well away from function rooms, so all rooms are in quiet zone.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto this website.

It was also great to hear that you took full use of the Hotels leisure facilities whilst you were on site and left feeling relaxed and refreshed.

South East England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is in the most wonderful setting and is a wonderful place for a relaxing and luxurious break away from it all. On the second visit the spa and pool were closed for repairs,which was dissappointing. Overall an excellent experience with helpful restaurant staff a notable feature.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WottonHouse, General Manager at Wotton House, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Trip Advisor.co.uk.

I am delighted that we met with your expectations on your recent visit to Wotton House Hotel and that overall you had the 'perfect getaway'.

It was pleasing to read such positive comments, however I do apologise that the health club was closed during your visit.

Naturally, I do hope that you choose to stay with us again in the near future and I thank you once again for taking the time to post your review onto this site.

Dorking, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was at Wotton House this weekend for their health weekend and was shocked at how much their healthclub has declined. One of the mirrors fell from the wall during an exercise class revealing a damp wall growing mushrooms! Inspection of the others nearby also showed the appearance of mushrooms trying to grow through! The damp in the ladies toilet had also taken hold with a very bubbly wall, and the ladies changing room had layers of dust on the blinds and in the corners. The pool area had tiles missing from the side of the hot tub, and the steam room looked like it had seen better days. I didn't feel very healthy and I am sure I will not be the only one to complain. It is such a shame as I remember visiting the Club when it had first been done in the early 2000s. It is not like this now and is in desperate need of a makeover.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Wotton House as part of the external health weekend.

Naturally I apologise for the shortcomings you experienced, we do always aim to exceed our guest’s expectations and I am sorry if you felt this was not the case.

I would like to assure you that I will be personally reviewing the feedback with our Leisure Club Manager to ensure that these actions are rectified as a matter of urgency.

We do receive very positive feedback regarding the cleanliness of our health facilities so this has come as a disappointment. Principal Hayley always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of hygiene and service. We have regular Health & Safety Audits, and always treat incidents such as that which you experienced most seriously. Preparation, risk assessments and service procedures have been urgently reviewed to ensure, as far as possible, that there can be no possible reoccurrence. If you would like to discuss any of your comments, please do contact me personally.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention, as it is only through receiving comments such as yours that I am able to constantly monitor the service and standards offered to our guests.

I do hope you will return to Wotton House in the near future when I am confident we can re-establish your faith in us.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Yours sincerely

Thomas Armes, General Manager

Been to Wotton House? Share your experiences!