“The worst hotel I've ever stayed at with the worst manager” 1 of 5 stars

Surrey Hills Hotel
Horsham Road, Dorking RH5 4PG, England   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel I've ever stayed at with the worst manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We called on the day of our arrival to find out what time we could check in - at this point we were told that there was no electricity to our room and that we would be moved to a smaller room whilst it was fixed. The rooms were functional but clearly haven't been decorated since the 80s and we also found there was no hot water, so couldn't shower before heading off to a wedding.

Later that afternoon we were called by the hotel to tell us that the electricity was back on and they would move our belongings into our original room. I wasn’t entirely comfortable with this and asked that they make sure they move everything as we had started to unpack.

When we arrived back at the hotel at around midnight it was like a nightclub. The car park was full of people shouting, swearing, drinking and smoking and there was even a couple becoming "intimately" entwined on the bonnet of a car where we tried to gain access via the fire escape (as advised when we had set off earlier in the day). We had to wait (with children) for 10 minutes before we were let into the hotel - when we questioned what on earth was going on (as no mention of a party was made when we booked) the manager told us that we were back earlier than we said we would be so why were we complaining? I'd imagine this was the same charming chap who hung up on Hermonj. The music was so loud it shook the floor of the bedrooms - this stopped just before 1am.

Thankfully I still had the key to the first room we were placed in, as when our belongs had been moved they left our phone charger, book and my suit bag and hanger in the first room.

Once the music had stopped we did have a fairly comfortable night. The bed was very old and noisily sprung, but it was pretty comfortable.

The following morning there was still no hot water and only a solitary cleaner could be found in the entire hotel. We were informed that the staff would not be in until lunch time so had to leave our keys on the reception desk.

In summary, a run-down old hotel that is falling apart, manned by staff who deliver by and large the worst customer service you're ever likely to encounter in a civilised country. If you have the option to stay ANYWHERE else I would strongly advise you do.

Room Tip: Try any other hotel you can find. Seriously.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chinnor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is awful.......do not stay here.....bad service through from booking to checking out.......issues with rooms, hot water, loud parties till 12.30am with guests vomiting and having sex in the car park........awful customer relations when I complained during the stay and afterwards......Cannot agree more with Hermonj review, our credit card was always noted in the same way......awful

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fairfield, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights whilst vacationing from the USA and had a fantastic time. I am more accustomed to staying in the big chain hotels like Marriott, Hilton etc... Whilst hotels like these are always clean and of comfortingly similar quality no matter where they are located it is always refreshing and indeed quite pleasant to find a first rate independent hotel like the Surrey Hills.

Reading the few very negative reviews of this hotel, I find it hard to believe that we stayed at the same establishment. I found the staff to be courteous, helpful and professional, the rooms clean and excellent value for money and the on site restaurant of a very high caliber. For those of you unfamiliar with England's North Downs I strongly recommend visiting the area as it is the epitome of the "green and pleasant land" we all imagine England to be. I doubt there is a better place to stay when in this area than the Surrey Hills Hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I am not quite sure where to start in writing this review! Firstly I would say DO NOT STAY HERE!
We arrived to check in and the receptionist was in the office, she pulled a notebook from under the desk with ALL GUESTS credit and debit card details (which was requested upon booking) this is illegal and if fell into the wrong hands could be used fraudulently. My husband kindly requested (after paying for the room) that this was removed and the receptionist was very hostile and challenging about this.
We then found our rooms (which had to be accessed via a outside fire escape). The room was clean but very dated. The tea/coffee amenities were not replenished each day. The restaurant/bar were closed day and night and we were informed upon check in that there would be no facility to breakfast which was supposed to be part of the package. We were staying for a wedding so had 3 rooms for other family members and not one of us had hot water. I went to reception to tell staff and found no one there. The next day upon check out the hotel was completely deserted with no staff to be found. We were given no instruction what to do with our key so reluctantly had to leave them in the room door.
The following day when I got home I phoned the hotel to share my experience and the female member if staff hung up on me! I called back and the male staff member answered. He told me I was a 'winger', said that there was hot water but because I was in room 8 it takes time to reach the room!! He basically told me I was a liar and said there was staff at the hotel that I could have told!! He also ended up hanging up on me!! I can honestly say I was not rude at any time, I was simply sharing my experience which was not pleasant!! I was absolutly astounded by the response I had! I have never stayed in a hotel with customer service skills and facilities as poor as this, and I have stayed in many!!

Interestingly, I had my hair done in nearly by Dorking town as we were going to a wedding and the stylist said this hotel has seriously gone down hill since it changed hands a few years ago.

• Stayed July 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Thought it was strange when I was the only car in the car park. Still nice welcome and room was ok, if a little dated. Following morning, when trying to check out I found every door in the hotel locked and there was no one around, eventually found a fire escape at the back of the hotel. had to leave key on doorstep as even the front door to the reception was locked.

Stayed April 2012
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed at the Surrey Hills Hotel, nr Dorking, found it absolutely first class, clean spacious and large comfy bed. To top it all there is a state of the art Asian restaurant on site, absolutely amazing, great food and service, hotel and restaurant reasonably priced, and you can do a deal! Tom - Lincoln.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed here when i came down to visit friends, firstly the staff were very friendly and helpful the hotel room had everything needed.

The restaurant attached to the hotel was amazing the food was the best thai/chinese i have ever had.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Surrey Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!