“AWFUL JUST PLAIN AWFUL!” 1 of 5 stars

The Plough Inn
Coldharbour Lane | Coldharbour, Dorking RH5 6HD, England   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Dorking B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“AWFUL JUST PLAIN AWFUL!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I popped in for a quite drink and some lunch to be met by the most inhospitable old women she was nothing but cold and rude. You would think that she would no a little bit about customer service however not so much! I would never return to the plough again despite the lovely roast beef. Its just a cold atmosphere I hate to say it but unless they get some sort of new management or landlady whatever that women was the place is going under. Its a shame for a pub of that beauty and potential sophistication to be ruined by one women.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Nothing special. Very quiet location.

Bed was soft. Room was a bit small. There was a sky-light window with no blinds...Was woken up very early with a bright sunshine coming through it.

Food in the evening was nice. Breakfast was adequate.

Due to hotel being located in woodlands there were plenty of birds in the area and as a result my car was covered in bird waste in the morning... however it is not hotel's fault.

What we were totally appalled at was the call from the hotel after we left...Apparently there was some wine spillage in our room and we were being charged for it!!! Yes, we did share a bottle of wine however we did take great care not to spill any. I guess that it is their way of making extra money!!

We were going to return to this hotel...NOT now!! Totally disgusted to be honest. It is not the way to treat your paying guests!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed here last night with a college after working locally, Was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews but couldn't of been more wrong.... Was greeted by the land lady and given our room keys..Rooms were pleasant enough with everything you need for a stop over ( comfortable bed too). The bar was showing the football and after grabbing a drink we sat down to watch it with some of the locals, was made to feel very welcome and had a good chat with a few of them. The pubs own ales were very nice and the draught cider was excellent !
We ate in the pub too and had the steaks after they came highly recommended..Was not dissapointed..The steaks were AMAZING !!.. I personally would highly recommend this Pub/B&B and would definately stay here again should the chance arise.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I must admit after reading a fair few of the reviews on here i was to say the least apprehensive about visiting this pub when friends of mine mentioned meeting here, turns out my instinct was wrong. I arrived here at around 1pm whilst waiting for friends when i walked in i noticed the smell of a real log fire which is open both sides... beautiful. the barlady was warm and friendly and put me at ease straight away, the woman i assume to be the landlady i have read so much about was just as nice and struck up a conversation. when my friends arrived we ordered some lunch, the food was great, all home-made. we ended up staying rather longer than originally anticipated so our walk up leith hill was not as long as planned! I must state that i had a fantastic day in the plough, good company, good beer, good food and good service... what more can you ask for? Glad my friends persuaded me to visit this beautiful pub, i will most definately be back...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Surrey, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Went there today. Turned up at about 3pm and received a cold reception from the rude old lady behind the bar if I was not with friends I would have walked out. We felt we were a hinderance rather than a customer wishing to eat and drink.
The food was mediocre and over seasoned with pepper. Certainly not worth the money we paid.
I won't be returning to this establishment there are plenty of great pubs in this area to choice from.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Great Chesterford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay and popped in. The first impression was that we were in a place that had had better times with a not very "fresh smell". We Asked for a taste of the home brewed beer (by the way no very well kept) and I was told that they didn't give tastes because it was too expensive, then I order a pint and a half and asked if could pay by card and I was told that they charged 85 pence for any transaction regardless the amount. Then I asked if there were any room available for a particular date and I was told to call after 10 pm because she had to check online and she couldn't at that moment then I said that I did try phoning during the morning and nobody answer the phone, again I was told that before 10 am there were nobody to answer the phone. The last straw: they don't allow children (10 and 12) because they don't have the facilities. My question what special facilities need two children aged 10 and 12?

Room Tip: I didnt see the rooms but I can tell you that the smell in the pub was not particualry good and that...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
reigate
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

After a lovely walked we stopped for a quick bite to eat and a drink. After taking our lunch order we were asked where we were sitting and I said over there in the restaurant, and was told you can't sit there as you have only ordered a ploughmans, the restaurant only had one table occuppied and with nowhere else to sit we duly sat there, the ploughmans when it eventually turned up after half an hour with only 2 other people having food was meagre in the extreme. People like this do not deserve to run a very attractive pub as they give such a bad name to pub food.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Plough Inn? Share your experiences!