“Wow! Definitely the place to see & be seen in...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Packhorse Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newmarket
The Packhorse Inn
You added The Packhorse Inn to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Inn   |   Bridge Street | Moulton, Newmarket CB8 8SP, England   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Newmarket B&B and Inns
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Wow! Definitely the place to see & be seen in...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have been twice to the Packhorse Inn & are planning on going back for my birthday celebrations - the Newmarket area has been in dire need of place like this & I am thrilled we now have it.
It has been decorated to an amazing standard with a lot of style, money & care spent on it. The atmosphere is buzzing.
We have eaten from both the bar & restaurant menus and loved both - it is the sort of place you can pop in to have a lovely relaxed supper, or go for a more formal evening.
The front of house is 10/10. I really couldn't offer any suggestions to improve. We love this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

An impressive revamp of a tired country pub. We enjoyed the food which was skillfully cooked and presented-the pigeon and foie gras Wellington especially so-and just about value. What wasn't was the slow service after our first course and a certain indifference by the management when it came to the bill paying. Acknowledgement that the customer has had a good experience whilst paying your bill is a good place to start and keep the customer satisfied enough to return.

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great venue for a birthday celebration. The newly opened Packhorse Inn is buzzing and with a great menu with bar snacks and restaurant menu to choose from you couldn't ask for more. Superb wine list and so many friendly and attentive staff. Back for more soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The PHI has got to be Newmarket's best pub ever! The pub has undergone a substantial refurbishment which ironically has developed it into what it has been crying out to be! The dimensions are perfect as quite spacious yet intimate and the antique tables with mismatching chairs are layed out in different rooms with completely different decor and atmospheres. Fortunately not a sign of pine in sight but on the contrary there are only very unique pieces which give the pub a very warm and unique feeling. It is hard to believe that the Pack Horse Inn has not been a prominent institution in the area given it's established ease. Hayley (the manageress) and her team do an incredible job to ensure that your visit is a very customised one from remembering your name to specifically adhering to the changes one may ask from the menu...nothing seemed impossible and the enthusiasm to please was clear to all! I loved being welcomed by the very warm and friendly Philip who bent over backwards to make our evening as enjoyable as possible. The food was excellent and I found myself asking where the meat came from as it was the best quality filet de boeuf I have had in years....and cooked to perfection! The choice of wines is very impressive and the puddings were all phenomenal. The lighting is particularely good giving the pub a very warm glow which allows one to really relax and enjoy the magic atmosphere. I wish the Packhorse Inn and its team the best of luck and thank them for coming to our area and creating this jewel which we will bdefinitely look after and cherish as much as we can!!!!! Impossible to fault....

• Stayed October 2013
Amersham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a fabulously, stylish pub restaurant - the decor certainly has the "wow" factor and a lot of effort has been put into making it look just right. You feel at home the minute you enter - the staff are friendly and welcoming and it's a great place to spend a Sunday lunchtime . It was busy and bustling when we visited over the opening weekend but the service was very attentive and everyone appeared unflappable. The Sunday roast was excellent and I must make mention of the beef - exceptional quality and cooked to perfection. If this is the standard on the opening weekend when you would expect some minor hiccups then success is guaranteed. I will definitely visit again.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you read my previous reviews you will see that I visit restaurants regularly, and some good ones too. Unfortunately we are limited in terms of good restaurants within a few miles of Newmarket, so we were quite excited about the opening of the Packhorse Inn at Moulton once I heard that Chris Lee was to be the head chef. I was aware that Chris built up a very good reputation at his previous restaurant, however I never dined there personally.

The Packhorse Inn has been open for just over a week and I have visited twice. My first visit was with my partner on a midweek night when I had a scallop starter followed by a lemon sole main. My partner had the same starter but a lobster and chicken main. All dishes were cooked perfectly. The breads served before the meal were lovely and we quite happily accepted the offer of an extra helping.

My second visit was with my partner and my parents for Sunday lunch. Two of us had the crispy cod cheek starter and the other two a chicken caesar salad starter. For our main we all picked the roast beef. We all agreed that the food fantastic, and I have to say the roast beef dish was probably the best roast dinner I've had the pleasure of eating. The beef was cooked just right being lovely and tender. The yorkshire pudding was lovely and crispy, as were the roast potatoes.

The last time I ate out with my parents was at a Michelin starred restaurant, and we all agreed that we preferred the food at the Packhorse Inn.

Its going to be great to watch this restaurant grow and see it being given the many awards which are sure to follow soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

What a treat a busy bubbling pub
And restaurant with a great atmosphere .
Sunday lunch was superb.
Starter was amazing .
Great surroundings would recommend a visit .
Great with family or couple for dining and drinking .
Will return very soon.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to The Packhorse Inn? Share your experiences!