“Poor service and food” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Poor service and food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I went for a meal with my husband, but was far from impressed with the food and the service.
We were served our starters and forgotten about for 25 minutes until the waiter arrived to clear the table, we were not asked if we wanted any more drinks (our glasses had been empty for a while)
Our mains arrived which were okay, no check back again. Then left again for ages, when the waiter arrived to clear we weren't offered anything else, he just wandered off. We had to the bar ourselves to get the bill, no "did you enjoy your meal"or anything. Won't hurry back.

London, United Kingdom
“Recommended but Average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

First visit to the Restaurant after a day at the Newmarket Races .Very busy so if used i would pre-book especially on busy days as limited area ,Luckily I chose an inside seat so could observe the entire restaurant and avoid the hussle and bussle of waiter movement .The table next to us was taken by a large sometimes noisy group but who could challenge that as they were the connections of the Days Big race winner..
Even though this group occupied the majority of the waiters time we seemed to be given a prompt and attentive service .The meal was well cooked and tasty but rather on the small size and expensive although i was a guest and not the host on this occasion so my comments were limited.
I did not use any facilities or pay the bill so I am unable to comment on previous reviews but as far as the quality and taste it was good and iI would visit as a couple again on a non-racing day

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Nice meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Let me start by saying we really enjoyed our food. The service was good as well. The only issue was when we got our bill we were over charged by quite a bit and it was not handled as well as it could have been. Would return for the food but was left with a little bit of a bad taste.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newmarket, England, United Kingdom
“Fountain Newmarket”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Went as a couple having been as a group with well known jockeys and trainers. What a different service you get when going as a couple. Slow service. Overpriced. Stuck in the corner . One dish not as ordered. Different food quality, different service . much prefer the Lucky Star in Cherry Hinton. Our meal cost £90 for at the Fountain!! Never again

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Call the hygiene inspector !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Went with 3 friends for lunch .
We were greeted by a waiter seated at one of the tables who at first seemed not to notice us in his empty restaurant before calling "can I help you?" from the other side of the room. Having shown us to a table and slung some greasy menus in our general direction he ambled back to his seat without asking if we would care for any drinks or wine. I took the opportunity to visit the the men's room to wash my hands before dining. I can honestly say that I haven't been in such filthy facilities in an eatery anywhere in my life! Even the carpet to the toilet door is tracked with who knows what from the lavatory floor! That was enough, I asked my friends to take a look before vacating the Fountain and suggesting to the idle waiter that he clean up his act and his filthy scruffy restaurant and facilities. We adjourned to the delightful Thai restaurant a couple of hundred yards away towards town and had a delightful meal with attentive staff and spotlessly clean surroundings! It also had plenty of diners which the Fountain did not !