“At best a real gamble” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Newmarket
London, United Kingdom
“At best a real gamble”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Our room waa appalling - window was literally held together with sticky tape - very dangerous. Bath sides were mouldy and kettle filled with calc flakes. We saw into other rooms and they looked better......but if you are into gambling then nearby Newmarket races are a better bet for your hard earned money. We wont be returning

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Hadn't seen each other for four months as I was in the Middle East with work. We stayed in February 2008. We reserved one of the Honeymoon Suites and weren't dissappointed. The room and spa was excellent, the food was fantastic, and the location was great for getting around in the countryside.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

i recently stayed at swynford paddocks. on arrival i was not impressed. the building looked in dyer need of restoration. when i went into reception i cannot say it was much better. i wasn't greeted in the warm and friendly way you would expect of a hotel with this reputation, and nor was i taken back by the décor. my room was acceptable and clean to a certain standard but nothing to write home about. when i went for dinner however and found the staff who were working in the evening fantastic. they were courteous and very hard working but took time to look after you. i ate of their dinner menu and was absolutely blown over with the quality of the food. it is not what i was expecting at all. it looked fantastic and tasted even better. all in all i would recomend swynford paddocks for a short stay but definately for an evening meal. a few problems need to be addressed and it could be a very good hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I recently stayed here on a busy evening. on arriving to the Hotel I was greeting by a crowd of staff around reception. the only problem is that none of them offered to help or assist me and it was a good 5 minutes before they realised I was here. Not to say I was struggling with 2 heavy bags and they hadn't even realised I couldn't open the door!!
When I checked into my room, it was nice a cosy however a little outdated. the room was how it would of been if I had of come 25 years ago. very shabby.
We booked dinner for the evening, and I have to say I was surprised at the difference in standards from the food to the rest of the service at the hotel. the food was well presented and exceptionally tasty. However, this was let down by the inexperienced waiting staff and the poor level of service we received all night. The breakfast on the otherhand was dissapointing, and full of grease.
I recommend Swynford Paddocks for Dinner only, and nothing else but that.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Ely, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

My family and I reserved a room at this , what was once established property. To say it was disappoiniting was an understatement. The hotel was nothing short of a 1970's bed and breakfast, the decor was so old it was now retro, the food was the same, if its not fried it wasnt on the menu, the staff were lovely but very inexperienced and not a manager in sight. A very poor offering from what I am led to believe used to be of good quality, I am told the owners run an event management company, its a shame they dont make an event of their hotel. We would certainly not return nor advise anyone else to . WHAT A SHAME !!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed at this hotel because we were attending the races at Newmarket. We originally had thought it was in town, and while we were initially a bit disappointed to discover it was about 5 miles from the track, it was actually a lovely, quiet location (as there is very little to do in the town center other than day-shopping anyway). It is very accessible and easy to find, straight up the road from Newmarket races. There was plenty of free parking and FREE wireless internet-- always a plus!

Overall, this was a nice hotel, and we would definitely stay again. (Bear in mind while reading this that I am VERY VERY fussy 40-something and a bit of a "hotel princess.") I would indeed recommend the hotel. To be fair, it is rated as a 3-star, and it absolutely was beyond that standard. With a bit of $$ put into this lovely building, it could easily be rated a 4- or 5-star.

I love the horse-themed rooms, and this is throughout the hotel. Nice touch! However, we were in the "cheaper" room, up on the 3rd floor (during a heat wave-- no A/C!), so I can only comment on that room. It was nicely-decorated and clean, though the external bedding (comforter & headboard) was a bit shabby. Newer bedding would be a nice improvement (sheets were clean!!). Also, a fan was provided, which was not always the case with other UK hotels in which we stayed (there was no A/C anywhere!).

Other down points are simply that the hotel could use some upgrading to such external details as cleaning windows and exterior, repairing some of the windows and panes, and paying more attention to cleaning cobwebs, etc, from the dining room windows. Also, while the friendly staff is very young and helpful, they were a bit inexperienced. The wait staff could benefit by some supervision and professional training by a dining room manager, and perhaps adopt a more appropriate dress code, but again, they were very pleasant.

The breakfasts were very nice, the dining room is very spacious and elegant and comfortable, there is a lovely bar area, and the reception lobby is very welcoming.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

This hotel looks lovely when you enter the gate but on closer inspection it is in urgent need of an external facelift. The young lady on reception was very polite and helpful but there was a distinct lack of senior staff to supervise (one of the young waiters was chasing a waitress through reception and locked her in a cupboard when we arrived). We also didn't appreciate the cleaner mopping and hoovering the bar floor whilst we were having our breakfast.
Our room (south-facing) was lovely but unfortunately, it was one of the hottest days of the year and the windows had been shut and the curtains left open so it was stiflingly hot. Even by midnight it was still 30 degrees. We were travelling with our 7-month-old son who was unable to settle because of the heat. The receptionist provided us with a couple of fans but all these did was move the hot air around. The next day we had to downgrade to another room on the other side of the hotel but this was not much cooler. I would definitely not stay there again with my son because of the heat - please buy some portable air conditioning units!
There is free WIFI but it is extremely slow.
The breakfast and lunch were superb.
If they could sort out the heat problem, this would be a beautiful place to stay (the grounds are really lovely).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Swynford Hotel? Share your experiences!