“refreshing change from the Corporate hotels.” 4 of 5 stars

Bedford Lodge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bury Road, Newmarket CB8 7BX, England   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Newmarket
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“refreshing change from the Corporate hotels.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Comfortable, welcoming and all you could want. Have stayed here several times with work and my only regret is that I never have time to really relax and enjoy this lovely hotel. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms and beds and always immaculately clean. Nice added extras make you feel cosseted, e.g. tea and coffee making facilities in the room, decent hair dryer, complementary wifi and nice Molton Brown toiletries. Food in the restaurant is excellent but a little pricey and on race weeks you could easily bump into a famous jockey in the bar.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Myself and partner had the pleasure of an overnight stay here on a cold damp Saturday in January. We have passed this lovely hotel many times and at last decided to treat ourselves to a stay. We arrived to a stylish modern reception and were cheerily greeted by Jackie who gave us info regarding our room and complimentary use of the health and fitness club.We were offered the chance to book treatments in the spa for the following day but sadly we had to leave after breakfast so declined. I had hoped to book treatments for the day we stayed but unfortunately as I didn't book our break until late they were fully booked. It looked lovely so hopefully when we stay next time we can enjoy a visit. Our room was tastefully furnished (big thanks to Gemma who I originally booked our stay with) and had the most comfy bed, pillows and duvet ever. Previously we had stayed at Satis House which took the lead for comfy beds but this was up there with them. Everything in the room was built for comfort and luxury. Gorgeous thick bathrobes and lots of warm thick fluffy towels (slippers would have been another lovely treat though) Well stocked Tea Pigs tea and Paddy and Scott's cafetiere. Biscuits made especially for the hotel and a fridge with still and fizzy water. Molton Brown goodies in the bathroom and even the bathroom vanity mirror was heated to keep condensation free. The flat screen HD TV was a good size and free wi fi was instantly available for our IPads without the usual bother of getting codes and messing about. There was even a small nail file, sewing kit and shoe shine in the cupboard. Plenty of storage space too.Local magazines were a nice touch also. We travel extensively and have visited many great hotels in our area, and we have to say this hotel was fabulous with the owners having given a great deal of thought to every little detail in the room. After unpacking we went to the health club area which housed a gym, swimming pool and steam room, sauna and jacuzzi which we took full advantage of. After a very enjoyable afternoon we prepared for dinner. We were shown to a lovely cosy dining room with dimmed lighting ( very romantic) and the team where very welcoming and especially the cheery young lady who took care of us. Our stay included three courses, and there was a great choice. We plumped for chicken liver & creme de cassis parfait starters, and I chose roasted honey chicken with onion stuffing whilst my partner plumped for braised shin beef main that according to him melted in the mouth. For desert I chose honey panna cotta whilst other half chose dark chocolate fondant. It looks fab just writing it down. It all tasted even better. It was truly gorgeous. A lovely bottle of white helped to keep things flowing. The service was excellent and the setting relaxed. After a really really good quiet ( very very important to us both being light sleepers) nights sleep, we were treated to a fabulous breakfast. The cooked breakfast we plumped for was all locally sourced produce (the menu even listing the various companies) and once again delicious. The cereals, fruits etc table also groaned under the weight of what truly where the most lovely yummy looking pain au chocolat. Had I not filled up on cooked breakfast and toast I would have loved to sample one, and in fact did consider asking to take one home with me ! Check out beckoned all too soon and we were once again greeted cheerily on our departure by the lovely reception team. All in all we had a really super time and would not hesitate to visit again. A huge thanks to all the team at Bedford Lodge. You are luxury.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at Bedford lodge hotel for a midweek break of a couple of nights early January. I had asked for a quite room overlooking the paddocks & that is exactly what we got. The room was so comfortable, and I loved that you had a separate walk in shower & a bath that was lovely and big! Moulton Brown toiletries were a lovely addition as were the tea pigs tea & caffetier coffee too. We ate dinner on the first night & was possibly one of the best meals out I have had in a long time! Duck breast was to die for. We took coffee in the bar after & it came with petit fours that was a nice touch. Breakfast on both mornings was excellent, hot was freshly cooked & just that - hot! We used the pool facilities on both days which were clean & the loungers were lovely to relax on too. Staff that we saw were always friendly & helpful. We asked for a recommendation of a place to eat out & ended up at The Pantry in Newmarket which was just fab too. On the day we left I used the spa for a lovely prenatal massage, just perfect to end the short break with. Really hope to return one day & would highly recommend on our experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 134 which was the last room down the corridor, but had no one walking past it &...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I had wanted to arrange a spa break with my family for ages, and my, oh my am I glad I choose the Bedford Lodge Spa and Hotel. Set in picturesque grounds across two seperate buildings, it cleverly manages to blend my two loves of modern contemporary with traditional character and charm, and packs a full-on luxury punch from the moment you arrive.
I travelled with my sister and parents, and we booked an overnight spa break package which included a full day's use of the spa, plus a 40 minute massage treatment, dinner in the hotel in the evening and breakfast the following morning.

We arrived at the Spa on Saturday morning and the staff showed us into the spa lounge area and were extremely attentive, giving us a guided tour of the facilities all the way to our lockers, which contained luxury cotton towels, robes and slippers,

The spa facilities here are excellent and although they clearly had a lot of people in, it didn't feel overly busy and there was plenty of space to chill out and relax in plenty of space as required.
Lunch in the spa lounge was delightful, and the kitchen staff were able to cater for my somewhat complex dietary requirements- i had emailed them in advance to warn them and it didn't phase them at all (Anyone doing the Candida Detox will know what i'm talking about!)- and the staff here was exceptional.

Early evening on the Saturday we all had our treatments, and I had upgraded mine from the muscle reviver massage, to the Lavender Hot Poultice Massage- and I can honestly say it was worth every penny! 2 hours of unadulterated bliss, and included the works- foot exfoliation, full on body exfoliation, full body massage seemed to go on forever!
My massage therapist Faye was brilliant- working out all the knots in my neck and shoulders with her heated poultices packed with herbs and spices. Just Heavenly.

Dinner at the Hotel in the evening was also exceptional, again with the chef catering for my special diet of no gluten, dairy yeast or sugar, and the only issue seemed to be how the waiting staff worked out the bill at the end of the meal in conjunction with the package deal we were on, which then had follow on complications when we came to check out, but all was quickly resolved

Our room was fresh clean and welcoming. The Hotel also contains a separate well equipped gym and pool, which we used on the Sunday morning..followed by a scrumptious cooked Breakfast.

Highly recommend this Hotel and Spa. 10/10.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
brentwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful stay. We also booked a spa day and had a wonderful relaxing time. The food in both spa and hotel restaurant was fantastic and our room very nice. Highly recommended will definately be returning!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Suffolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was booked into here due to work. The place is stunning the welcome warm and an excellent room..but problems In order... At dinner my main was with mussels which were forgotten about and when mentioned they turned up.Retired to my room late was just trying to chill with a bit of TV wow how complicated, needed a little instruction sheet, managed to get to a blue screen and gave up. Breakfast shown to table and drink order taken, waited and waited finally had to get someone to take my food order. Hmmmm I dont often stay in this level of hotel but I certainly didnt get the service expected, poorer than a budget hotel.. The food was excellent when I got it

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
canvey island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

came here in a group of 18 for christmas do food was very good hotel was immucualte clean, grounds of hotel was very nice, nice view of the stables on one side of hotel,staff very helpful would def like to return to this hotel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bedford Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!