“Brilliant B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pavilion House

Pavilion House
You added Pavilion House to your Saves list
Pavilion House
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   133 Station Road | Dullingham, Newmarket CB8 9UT, England   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Newmarket B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Brilliant B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

An absolute gem of a place, I feel so lucky that I was able to stay here for three nights, and I have only nice things to say about it! Gretta and David are so wonderful, with there being nothing that was too much to ask for. Truly fantastic hosts and lovely conversationalists! The room I stayed in was a twin, with an incredible view of their beautiful back yard and the fields beyond. It had a private shower that was two steps down the hall from where I slept. The house itself is wonderfully homey, with family photos and paintings covering the hallway and living room.

The breakfast (and dinner) room was in their living area, with beautiful lounges across from the large table. The cooked breakfasts are brilliant, with the hot food prepared by Gretta. I booked one dinner in advance, which was again cooked by Gretta, and was truly great food. I'd highly recommend you try one of her meals! Check out their website for the menu (the risotto is amazing!) www.pavilionhousebandb.co.uk

Both David and Gretta were so helpful with information about the trains to Cambridge, with the Dullingham station just a short 5ish minute walk down the road. It's without a footpath, but there's a small verge in the (unlikely!) event of traffic. It's only 16 minutes by train to Cambridge Railway Station, which makes the B&B ideal for commute if you're planning on exploring the city but want to sleep away from the fuss.

They've got a few dogs and cats that wander around both inside and in the garden. They're incredibly friendly creatures that certainly love a bit of affection! I mention this only for reference to other travellers; I'm pretty keen on pets myself, so they were a nice addition to my stay!

I honestly can't recommend Pavilion House (and David and Gretta) highly enough, as it's been the nicest place that I've ever stayed at over the course of my travels (and honestly I don't expect anything to exceed it!). If you're looking for the peace and quiet of the English countryside, you won't regret staying here, and I can only hope to return in the future!

Room Tip: The twin and double rooms (non ensuite, but still each with private bathrooms right next door) face...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Pavilion House was everything we wanted; a quiet well-run house, tastefully furnished and very comfortable. Gretta and David share their home with guests and are very welcoming and accommodating. The only caveat being that one has to be out of the house between 10.30am and 4.30 pm but as we had plenty to do, that didn't matter too much.
On the contrary, we had slightly difficult travel arrangements and had to use two cars, Anne arriving at 11.15pm. No matter, our hosts were kindness itself and I was welcomed in at 4.30pm to a lovely piece of Gretta's home-made cake and a pot of tea in the kitchen with Gretta who made me feel very welcome. Nothing was too much trouble for them, Gretta's cooking is superb and her raspberry jam is to die for.
We do not hesitate to give David and Gretta our highest recommendation and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed March 2013
gmb53, Owner at Pavilion House, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. We always try to accommodate guests between the hours of 10.30am and 4.30 pm, especially for those attending weddings and going to the races. Unfortunately we cannoty be here 24/7, I guess that is one of the differences between us and a hotel.
Esher, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had a one night stay at this wonderful b & b and were lucky enough to secure their new en suite double room. It was a beautifully appointed with windows on three sides, luxuriously comfortable, spotlessly clean and sheets to die for! Gretta and David are delightful hosts

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Upper Gravenhurst
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Gretta and David run a lovely guesthouse located just outside Newmarket .Extremely welcoming this couple really are the stars of the show. Super room spotlessly clean was great.No ensuite but bathroom just next door. Breakfast was excellent,we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Might be a problem if you are unsure of dogs-although very friendly.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

David and Great were great hosts. I had a great stay. Park and ride was very convenient and cost on 2.50 pound on the bus round trip to Cambridge. The parking was free. I also took the train from Cambridge station to King Cross Station in Central London and it was easy. Train runs almost every hour and took only about 45 mins. Bottom line, Pavilion is beautiful place to soak in some quite and peace. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a place around Cambridge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Gretta and David made us feel very welcome. Their home is beautiful and the bedroom and bathrrom were lovely and very homely. The breakfast was really tasty and freshly made. Definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

As regular visitors to Newmarket for racing, we were looking for an out of town personal B&B- boy did we find it! I read a few reviews about Pavilion House and it sounded just right. We certainly were not disappointed. After a warm welcome from Gretta and David (together with gorgeous well behaved dogs, grand black cat) we were shown to our comfortable room with sweet smelling freshly cut Sweet-Pea. In no time at all a pot of Grey tea and homemade sponge were served in the family lounge. I think you get the picture! The beds were comfortable everything was immaculate.Greta also recommended a local Pub/Resturant for the Saturday evening which was perfect. We are looking forward to staying with them again, our week-end in Newmarket couldn't have been better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pavilion House? Share your experiences!