“Very tired also the chef” 3 of 5 stars

The Bull
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hall Street, Long Melford CO10 9JG, England   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Long Melford
London
“Very tired also the chef”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had occasion to be taken out for Sunday lunch at The Bull and found myself quite disappointed.
The hotel itself on entering looks very tired and worn and could do with a facelift with paint and the carpets were rather worn too!
We went through to the bar for lunch, found our choices were all gone so opted for the Sunday roast of beef. I found the meat to be very tough, thinking at first that the knives were blunt but the same was noticed when I tried to eat the vegetables of beans, broccoli and carrots with semi-roast potatoes. I know veg should be al dente but these were just not cooked properly. As I had been invited out I didn't say anything at the time as I didn't want to upset our friends - who I might add opted for a different option on the menu. I cant see us ever going back which is a shame!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Bull, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. At Old English Inns we value every customer comment received and we will certainly review the food quality offered on the menu and ensure that in future all the meals served are of top quality....thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We went for lunch today 13/10/13 in this Old Bull Hotel Long Melford property could do with new carpets and some paint otherwise would be fantastic venue. We ordered Sunday lunch the knives were blunt and would not cut the tuff beef the rest of the meal was like eating uncooked vegetables . Not nice at all .
Please sort this out.

Room Tip: Be careful what you order in the restuarant
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We were very sorry to hear that your food was not as it should have been on this occaision.
Abingdon, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed two nights for a friend's wedding in July and had a wonderful time. Our room was huge and situated at the front of the hotel overlooking the main street in Long Melford. It was clean and all the furnishings comfortable - particularly the bed! Decent shower pressure too, although I would prefer a separate cubicle rather than an over the bath style. The hotel even provided a tall standing fan as it was in the middle of a heatwave, unfortunately this had a neligible effect but not their fault. Cooked breakfast was included in our rate, this was perfectly fine and edible, not the best I've had though. We loved the quirkiness of the layout and the little nooks and crannies, might get on some people's nerves however. As we were attending a wedding I can't really comment on the noise levels but suffice it to say we got a decent night's sleep regardless. All in all, good value for money and a central location for exploring Long Melford.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks very much for taking the time to review The Bull Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay there and the team look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Bull Hotel for a three night break and must say we thoroughly enjoyed it. We booked a superior double room and found it very roomy, clean and comfortable, the only problem we found was the room was at the front of the hotel and the outside light was directly above the windows and turned on most of the night. The breakfast were ample with plenty of choice and the staff we found were very friendly. If ever we revisit Long Melford we will defiantly chose The Bull as our base once again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks very much for your lovely comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back to the Bull again soon.
Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed there on the 6th and 7th of September for a friends wedding. I brought my iPad with me as I was dealing with the sale of my late mothers house and needed to receive emails. First disappointment was the Wi-Fi didn't work and no one seemed interested in getting it fixed and indeed it wasn't. The wedding was on Saturday in the church and afterwards back at the hotel. The staff were very attentive and the reception was excellent and a good night was held by all. Even the thief who apparently managed to get hold of the hotel's master key for the guests rooms had a good night. They helped themselves to two iPads one of them mine and another friend who attended the wedding. They also managed to get 4 purses with cards and cash. The thief even seems to have managed to return the master key back to the reception without detection!!!!!!!!! I shudder to think of someone roaming around the hotel corridors with a key to any room they wanted to enter. There could have been children alone in these rooms!
I discovered the theft on Sunday morning upon packing for our return journey home. We got the manager to contact the police who are still investigating the crime. Upon returning home I contacted Greene King who own the hotel. To date I am still waiting to get fully reimbursed for my loses as I hold the hotel fully liable as they should have had the master key beyond reach of staff, let alone the thieving scumbag who helped themselves to our hard earned valuables. The case has been investigated by the hotel chains Business Development Manager who has refuted the claim, which had been backed up by Suffolk Police, that the thief used the master key. However they have decided to spend thousands replacing the locks and Keys at the Bull. Be warned they don't know how the thief got into the rooms so this could feasibly happen again. If you value your possessions, privacy and getting value for money avoid this hotel at all costs. They simply aren't interest correcting any wrongs that happen whilst staying in their hotel. Ive waited Until now to post this review to give Greene King and the Bull Hotel a chance to give me a full refund for my loses. Now they won't reply to my emails. Using the Freedom Of Information act I learnt that the hotel has had 7 thefts this year so far from guests rooms. Form your own opinions, I for one won't ever be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Having passed it a number of times and thought what a lovely setting we took our parents for lunch here.

The parking at the rear of the building is very convenient for the hotel and access is through the bar. Sadly no signage means your then lost in the building.

Having wandered around for 5 mins unchallenged I managed to collar a waitress who informed me that there was plenty of space in the resteraunt. That's where the alarm bells should have rung!

The menu is poor, made up of reheat brake brothers type meals. The prices are at the value end and reflect the fact that no effort goes into your food preparation. Of the four meals we ordered they managed to get one right, over cooked chips and covering food in Jalepenos having brought the wrong dish were some of the issues we faced.

The pub is a beautiful building but you can't help feel its the shell of its former self. The resteraunt isn't that it's an area where pub bar meals are provided.

Such a sorry state for what was once a great hotel, building and resteraunt.

• Stayed September 2013
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Bull, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill your comments online. We at the Bull are always working hard to give the best service and quality we can. Sometimes due to other issues we are let down. We send our apologies to you that on this occassion this did not happen. I hope this has not put you off either the Bull Hotel or Old English Inns in the future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at The Bull. We booked a superior double room complete with four poster bed and lounge area. Uneven creaky floors add to the wonderful character of the place and we loved it. It was somewhere to look forward to returning after a days touring in the area. Long Melford is lovely to stroll round especially in the evening to walk off the meal in the Hotel. Our favourite days out were Lavenham, with wonderful photogenic cottages , Southwold on the coast, and Cambridge. Treat yourself to a punting tour on the river Cam but do haggle over price. Get there fairly early before the river gets too busy and have a relaxing time. Back to the Hotel. Decent food at reasonable prices ( Old English Inns pricing and menu ) lovely ambience ,very attentive, pleasant staff in a lovely location. The only negative that comes to mind is that if you are in a room at the front of the hotel , beware of traffic noise from quite early in the morning. Other than that , if you like Olde Worlde , you should love a midweek stay. Wonderful !

Room Tip: If a couple, book a superior double room for more space. We had a small lounge area and fourposter b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay other than the traffic. we hope to see you again soon.

Been to The Bull? Share your experiences!