“Not bad at all” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel

You added Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fornham St | Genevieve, Bury St. Edmunds IP28 6JQ, England   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Not bad at all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Well from the outside its not much to look at really and inside its a bit old and tired and could do with a slight facelift. However saying that i cant really fault much else, the room was clean, pretty basic stuff but wasfine for me and my girlfriend. The golf course looked nice and i might come back and stay again at some point to get a few rounds in. Enjoyed the swimming pool, had a nice jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, luckily for us was not busy at all so could enjoy a relaxing few hours in there. Only dodgy bit was from changing rooms to swimming you have to come through a horrible little corridor thing, not nice at all. As for the food im not sure as we didnt eat in restaurant, we had a drink in there and skimmed the menu. Think 2 courses for 20 poundsor 3 courses for 25?? not unreasonable i would say but like i said we chose to eat out so not to sure on quality.
In summary not perfect but we enjoyed our stay, probably wont visit again with my girlfriend but i might be back to try out the golf course.

Room Tip: get the view of golf course
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AmandaMortimer-GM, General Manager at Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear CaptainLeaderLeg...

Thank you for your reveiw of your recent stay here at The Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us and appreciate your constructive feedback.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Amanda Mortimer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
East Anglia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Seen better days. Swimming pool, although water was clean; the surroundings needed much decorating. Peeling paint and rust patches. The changing room ceilings and showers were mouldy with peeling paint. The service in the bar for lunch was dire. Will NOT be recommending or re-visiting.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Welovesunshine

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I have noted your comments and am disappointed to have read that you would not return to us.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with golf breaks for main purpose of playing golf.

Overall the value compared to other courses for same stay was cheaper so was expecting much.

Golf course could be better but to be fair they had a bad winter and are doing there upmost to keep it in reasonable knick. Note boxes aren't great but green are good for this time of year.

Bedrooms are adequate for 3 star. Clean and tidy but the overall area leading upto 3rd floor could be smarter and needs a bit of paint and care.

Food was surprisingly very good with a good selection of food. Personally I had salmon for main with risotto and it was superb with full flavour. Desert of marshmallow cheesecake was fantastic.

Doors on bedrooms aren't that sound proof as any movement outside we heard which was unfortunate.

Leisure area, we used the pool and steam, sauna and jacquzzi that was good.

Overall this was great value but more geared to golfers wanting a few beers, if you are expecting 5 star then pay the money for it and don't expect a very cheap deal to be 5 star. Food quality out ways the deal.

Dear nickbarber72

Thank you for your review of your recent golf break here at The Suffolk Golf & Spa. I am grateful for your constuctive feedback.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel during the golfing season.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is my regular Suffolk stay over. Love it. 3 star (could be 4/5 with investment) but with the food and staff of 4/5 star. Don't go anywhere else. Inexpensive and best value in Bury by far. Was let down at all other local hotels but the Suffolk have come trumps every time.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Surryeboy7

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at The Suffolk Golf & Spa, your comments are much appreciated. I am delighted by your kind words.

Best Regards

Diss, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

A friend and I spent the day at the spa, we had a lovely relaxing day . However as other people have commented the jacuzzi chemicals were far too over powering! As soon as we got in our eyes stung, we were coughing and were left with a funny feeling in our throat so we had to get out. (After 2 showers and a bath I can still smell the chemicals on me). The spa area appeared to be clean but it does need money spending on it. The food was good, the staff were busy as there was also wedding on but very polite. The treatments themselves were excellent and for the price we paid it was fantastic. The ladies who carried out our treatments were very polite and helpful.

Dear Rubyroo2013

Thank you for your review of your recent spa day, I am grateful for your feedback concerning the chemicals which work on an electronic dosing system. I am pleased you enjoyed your treatments.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival all seemed fine. Staff were generally polite most of the time. Went into changing rooms - quite nice (although apparently men's were a bit grim).

Went into tired looking 'spa' - not a huge issue due to the bargain price we had paid. Got in the jacuzzi and got out 10 seconds later! The chemicals were so strong that my eyes were instantly streaming and making me cough! (The same happened with anyone who got in and many people were commenting on how awful it was) A real shame considering that this is where I tend to spend most of my time when I get the chance to go to a spa. In the end my eyes were hurting so badly that we left the pool area and went for early lunch.

Lunch was quite nice and the staff were very sweet. The chocolate brownie which we shared was actually really nice and I'd recommend it to anyone visiting.

Treatments were very good and incredibly relaxing so all credit to the girl doing these.

Upon leaving I did notice that whatever chemicals were in the water had been so strong that they had stripped the colour from my bikini which was a little irritating. I've had it for 2 years and never had that issue! So god knows what marks it must've left on towels and robes.

Overall I probably wouldn't recommend this place. Although the treatments were lovely and generally the staff were nice, it isn't worth it when you leave with a wrecked bikini, smarting eyes and haven't been able to use the facilities due to over powering chemicals. This place needs serious money spent on it. A shame as it does have some real positives!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Soph198735

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa day. Your comments are being investigated by my leisure club manager. We are grateful for your feedback.

Sidcup, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed overnight, dinner, room, breakfast and 2 rounds of golf, 15 golfers in total.
GOLF COURSE : The course has obviously suffered in the last few months because of the horrendous rain, and we were told that only 4 weeks ago it was under water. It was quite wet in places, but very playable and a good test for all standards of golf.
The course, despite the recent weather is really in need of a bit of TLC. We were told that there was a shortage of green staff. On day 2, the greens had been cut, and this made a huge difference. Take plenty of balls, as nearly every hole has a water hazard and this was not the recent rain. A nice flat course which was challenging and enjoyable.

FOOD : We had a 3 course meal in the evening which was pre ordered as we came off the golf course. The food was very good and everyone enjoyed their food. A good varied menu which included venison, wild boar and steaks. Congrats to the chef. Breakfast is a buffet style, help yourself cooked, cereals, fruit juices, yogurts. The cost for a breakfast when you arrive is £7. I don't know how they do it! Fantastic value.

HOTEL & FACILITIES : The hotel is a bit dated, and the room I was in,114, could really do with a bit of updating, but it was adequate for our needs. Shower ok, and nice hot water. Beds clean and comfortable. I did not use the swimming pool, steam or sauna rooms, but those who did said they were ok.

STAFF: The staff here are very courteous and helpful. Nothing was a problem for them. They work very hard to make your stay a pleasant one. Just one note, the lady on reception, is very good, but very robotic. It seems as if she is reading from a script.

OVERALL: I would recommend a stay here to any golf society who want a nice easy walking course and a good deal. Our package was £59. Fantastic value.

Dear Martin N

Further to your recent golf break thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am pleased you considered our out of golf season golf package good value and am grateful for your comments which I will share with my team.

Amanda Mortimer

Been to Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!