“Fantastic value! Whats the fuss?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel

You added Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fornham St | Genevieve, Bury St. Edmunds IP28 6JQ, England   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
“Fantastic value! Whats the fuss?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a group of golfing buddies on a fantastic deal. Dinner, bed and breakfast, and 2 rounds of golf cheaper that a single round at alot of golf clubs.
Ok the course isnt amazing but suited us higher handicapers just fine. It was evident ( due to a local rookery ) that the birds had caused some damage but was pleasing to see how hard the greensmen were working to repair this damage.
Check in was stress free and we were presented with dinner menus on arrival enabling us to pre-order our evening meal. In fairness we werent really expecting much more than good old traditional pub grub but were pleasantly surprised at the delicious food presented to a level you would expect from a hotel with rosettes. The staff were very helpful and swift in serving both food and drinks.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast (buffet style with extra choices, eggs benedict etc) got us all off to a good start.
All in all, this hotel far exceeded our expectations and we would be very happy to rebook based on the tremendous value we received.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
AmandaMortimer-GM, General Manager at Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Surreyboy 7

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at The Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your golf break and will pass on your comments to my team. I hope we wil be welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Amanda Mortimer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Tamworth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

From reading other reviews, I certainly agree with a couple of the general views in relation to the hotel being quite tired and I certainly had sympathy for some of the staff who were trying their best in chaotic circumstances.

But first the positives - it wasn't expensive and I didn't have huge expectations so in some respects it served its purpose as a budget hotel, I was impressed with the swimming pool facilities and the staff were friendly. Room also a decent size.

But on the downside - hotel very tired and dated, but biggest gripe is the lack of organisation. We had a comical check in in trying to establish that I had two rooms booked under my name, although the lady on reception seemed to think that I had one room booked but somebody else with the same name as me had the other room booked !! Breakfast chaotic in terms of lots of tables waiting for tea/coffee, the cooked section not replenished quick enough and one poor man having to try and cope on his own in serving all peope at the busiest time. A young girl who had been on reception then tried to pull a pint in the bar but clearly wasn't sure what she was doing, again sympathy for the girl, just bad organisation all round.

As per a previous review, it does seem a little bit like a golf club with hotel rooms 'tagged on', if the hotel was more professional in its organisation and maybe had a bit of a spruce up, I would consider stopping there again as it is reasonably priced (with the pool/steam room facilities and breakfast included) and in a good setting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
AmandaMortimer-GM, General Manager at Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear jsmidlands2

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. Your comments and observations are much appreciated in highlighting service and training issues which I am in the process of addressing. I am pleased you were impressed by our leisure facilities, we are lucky to have such a great health club.

Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The general appearance of the place was shabby, like it was overdue for a refurbishment ( by a good few years. the room was grotty with greying lace curtains and the tiles over the bath and shower were dirty.
The menu was very limited and only on trying to order we were told that some of the choices were not available. I don't know why they would put stew and dumplings on the daily menu in September when, upon trying to order it, we were told it was not available until winter????? The soup was supposedly leek and potato but I don't think any leeks were harmed in the making of it. It was just grey green slop.
The lady working on the bar looked in need of a bath, with nails so chewed down that her fingertips had grown over the top, trapping all the soil (or whatever!!! I dread to think) underneath.
Breakfast was only marginally better.
On checking out we were presented with invoices to the wrong company.
Overall the place had the feel of a nursing home with mobility scooters replaced by golf buggies rather than a spa hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Shirley S

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at The Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not reflect our high standards of attention to detail and customer care. You have my personal assurance that your comments have been acted upon.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here with some colleagues for 6 nights. I have been travelling with my job and using hotels for many years now and I can honestly say that, on many levels, this is one of the worst hotels I have had the misfortune to stay at.
The initial check-in was straightforward as you should expect but after that everything just went downhill. Got to my room and my keycard didn’t work (this was to be the first of many times me and my colleagues had to get our keycards re-programmed). After my keycard was re-programmed I entered my room. First impressions were that it smelled a little foisty but the room was a decent size and the bed was relatively comfortable. I noted straightaway that it had an adjoining door to the room next door and I could clearly hear the person next door talking loudly over the sound of his television.
The hotel seems to have walls, floors and ceilings made of paper. You could hear EVERY noise from the corridors, the room next door as well as the rooms above and below you. The corridors which lead to other floors and the restaurant and bar are also dated and could do with some fresh paint and décor.
As we’d arrived a little late during the evening my colleagues and I went to the hotel restaurant rather than going out for dinner. Service was ok but the food was really just average and was delivered cold. The waitress on this occasion was polite and helpful. Bar prices are reasonable and not as expensive as some hotels. Retired to bed straight after dinner and had possibly the worst nights sleep ever because of the noise made by other residents moving around the hotel. Every toilet flush and bathroom extractor could be heard from the rooms adjacent to and above and below my room as well as the occupants talking. (This was the case every night!). Even more so on a Saturday night when there was a wedding reception on. I understand that wedding receptions take place at hotels but this was held only a short distance from the guest rooms and the music could be heard clearly through 2 fire doors. Also some guests were returning to their rooms as late as 04:00hrs which you could clearly hear due to the previously mentioned issues with the walls etc.
I didn’t request another room because it was likely that other rooms would be the same (read other reviews). Went for breakfast the following morning feeling exhausted and ordered from the quite extensive breakfast menu. It was clear that 1 of the waitresses was annoyed and a little stressed as one of the other waitresses had just turned in for work 2 hours late. The atmosphere was tense and they seemed to have no clear routine as both waitresses kept going from table to table asking if guests had ordered breakfast and who had ordered what. My order went to some other guests that had ordered after me so I had to point this out otherwise my wait would have been longer. It would seem to me that by simply having table numbers or a table map this confusion could be easily avoided. One guest had to ask for his coffee on 2 occasions. I ordered scrambled egg on toast, which was surprisingly good.
Returned to the hotel later that evening after work to discover that my keycard wasn’t working again. Had it re-programmed and was advised not to keep the keycard next to mobile phones’ or electrical devices (which I hadn’t done !!!!!!), and picked up a piece of paper with the hotels’ free complimentary Wi-Fi code on it. Admittedly the Wi-Fi is free, and requires a new login and password every day, but, as it is advertised as having free complimentary Wi-Fi, it would have been nice if it had actually worked!! Throughout my stay the Wi-Fi was without doubt the most unreliable Wi-Fi I had experienced in any hotel anywhere. If you were lucky enough to actually get to the ‘Log-In’ page and to get connected the signal would drop constantly from a good signal to nothing cutting you off from whatever you were trying to do. In the 6 nights I stayed I only managed to ‘Log-on’ three times, each time the connection was partial and unreliable. My work colleagues had the same issues with the Wi-Fi.
On the 3 occasions that I used the bar the service was average but not outstanding. I witnessed 2 men at the bar one night who waited for 10 minutes to get served, and the bar was quiet. The barmaid seemed to be giving all of her attention to a small group of golfers who seem to get priority treatment at this hotel.
Had one more meal at the hotel on 2nd night and again this was ok but nothing special. Service was a little slow too.
On returning to the hotel after work for the next 4 days I had to get my keycard re-programmed every day except one! Again, I was told by a condescending receptionist “not to keep my keycard next to mobile phones’ or electrical items” (again, something that I know after travelling for years not to do !!).
On one of the evenings we had to wait for a considerable time to get the cards re-programmed as the receptionist was dealing with a customer booking some rooms but, to our amazement, a gym member walked in behind us and she served him immediately. On another occasion there was no sign of the receptionist at all. I ended up having to go upstairs into the bar to ask the barman to come down to reception to re-programme the card. This is definitely a hotel with priorities that run in the following order; Golfers, Gym members and finally, hotel guests.
There seems to be no direction or leadership when it comes to running the hotel. The staff members were at times dis-organised, uninterested or not present.
As we had early starts for the next 4 mornings we didn’t have breakfast until our last morning there. This in itself was embarrassing to watch, as the waitresses did not know what they were doing. No direction, no guidance. In the end a number of guests got up and left after ordering breakfasts that never arrived. The hotel is not geared up for busy periods. A very unprofessional outfit from start to finish. The chain that owns this hotel needs to know how badly it is run so I am also making a point of contacting them. I will also be making sure that we never use this place again for our business needs.
We made a point of eating out for 4 nights and I can recommend the Cadogan Arms, which is about a 5-minute drive from the hotel. We used the Cadogan Arms twice and the food there was excellent, however their Sunday evening menu is a little restricted. If you like Indian food try the Voujon Indian Restaurant in Bury St Edmunds or Orissa Indian restaurant also in Bury St Edmunds, which were both excellent. I preferred the Orissa as the menu has a larger choice than the Voujon.
In short noisy, disorganised, badly run and priortises golfers and gym members who use the hotels own golf course and gym.
I do sympathise with the employees to a degree because they do seem to have 2 or 3 different roles to do, but the fact remains is that the service you get here suffers because of this. If you do decide to stay here, take earplugs, don’t expect Wi-Fi connectivity, expect to have to get your keycard re-programmed regularly and be prepared to be patient when expecting service from the staff.

Room Tip: Take earplugs in any case !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Richieh

Further to your recent stay and subsequent review I have emailed you asking for an opportunity to discuss your comments in further detail. I do hope you allow me the opportunity to speak to you directly.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My son had his wedding at this venue on 21st September and whilst the ceremony was nice there were many many problems with the hotel. The starter broccoli and stilton soup was tasteless and bland. We had 34 bottles of wine included in the package, this was not put on the tables but 3 staff walked around aimlessly asking people what they would like and then pouring it, I still don't know if we actually had the full 34 bottles we paid for!. Some people were not at their tables so they didn't get any. Eventually I had firmly insist that the staff just leave the wine on tables and get cleared for the main course - very frustrating. Numerous problems with the rooms and the checking in, 1 couple had twin room but no facilities for their daughter to sleep. We asked for early check in but were given wrong room - which was still being cleaned and then transferred to another room. The computer system was down (seems to be common occurrence on reading other reviews) so checking in took ages. My sister in law had no room until they realised they had spelt her surname wrong!. Shower head clogged and barely worked, nasty green substance on shower curtain in room! Barmaid burst into tears because she got an order wrong! The waiting staff were very inexperienced and the event organiser was telling them how to do things just before the meal came up - so they were obviously not trained at all. The main course was very nice and the dessert was good but the event didn't 'flow' and there seemed to be a lot of hanging around waiting.
I know that this venue has not done many weddings (not sure how many) but with all the problems we had I feel they should think long and hard about doing anymore before they address the problems above and read other reviews to smarten up their act!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pat M

Further to your son's wedding ceremony and reception here at The Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel and our subsequent meeting, I am very grateful that we were able to discuss your concerns in more detail. I look to welcoming you back to the hotel as we planned during our meeting.

With best wishes

Amanda
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

When we arrived, the room key system was down and we were unable to go to our room. Although the reception staff were apologetic, it would have been nice to have been offered a complimentary drink for the inconvenience as we had to sit in the (empty) bar ourselves to pass the time. The hotel is very dated and could do with a new lick of paint / update of amenities. There was also quite a few flies in the bar and dining area! The toilet flush in our room did not work very well at all, it was only able to flush about once every few hours, and although reception did come to check on this, we were not moved rooms. There was also mould on the ceiling of our bathroom. The hotel was well located and only a five minute drive to Bury St Edmunds and the receptionist was very helpful in phoning for a cab. There were also lovely views of the golf course. Breakfast was average. Overall, I would not stay here again for the price they charged.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AmandaMortimer-GM, General Manager at Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Mrs_Traveller2000

Further to your recent stay here at The Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel, thank you for your very valuable feedback. I have discussed your observations and comments with my team and an action plan has been implemented where appropriate.

Thanks once again,

Amanda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my mums 60th birthday treat. The spa is amazing and a massive thank you to Katie who made me and my mum feel amazing. Check in was not very well organised and they tried to give us 1 room on the top floor and 1 room on the bottom floor-not exactly what you want when there is just 2 of you. Rooms are very basic and in desperate need of a refurb. Rusty plug hole,shower doesn't show hot and cold on turn handle very clearly. Hall ways smelt musty. Lots of flys in bar area which puts you off eating. For a golf hotel the bar is very basic and tired. I would use the spa again but would not stay in the hotel until some improvements have been made!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rory1980

Thank you for your recent review of The Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed our spa, and have passed on your compliments to Katie. I have noted your comment with regards to the allocation of bedrooms and agree it would be more practical and enjoyable for guests travelling together to be given rooms near each other. With regards to the flies, we have suffered due to the close proximity of the water features on our golf course but have implemented preventative measures to minimise the issue.

Amanda Mortimer

Been to Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!