“Golf Trip” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel

You added Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fornham St | Genevieve, Bury St. Edmunds IP28 6JQ, England   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Golf Trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Having booked our golf trip in May, we duly arrived last Fri, 16 Aug, We were a little early for our golf so made for the bar for a pre round drink, when after a while one of the reception staff came and asked if we would mind giving up 3 rooms for the 1st night as they were double booked. The problem being after reading one review i contacted the hotel 2weeks earlier about this and was told as I booked directly with the hotel it could not happen, we did however agree to the request and 6 went to the Ramada 5 miles away to be told that it was a regular thing. Having said that we found both the staff & the food very good, the hotel & the course are in need of some major T.L.C.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Bury St Edmunds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

very friendly staff perfect location if you want to go into Bury St Edmond's will defiantly be going back with my family this time as the pool would be perfect for
my girls.Breakfast was lovely well worth what we paid.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stopped over for a couple of nights. Parking available at front to the hotel. Room was large and comfortable enough. En-suite bathroom had rather old fittings but perfectly functional. Walls rather thin making it hard to sleep before the occupants of the room next door turned in for the night.

The general state of the decor around the hotel was not great. A bit of a freshen up might be in order.

Bar snack was adequate but nothing exceptional. No time to try the golf.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Having read some negative reviews on here and only having paid £59 each for 4 of us to come away for a golf break including 2 rounds of golf, dinner, bed & breakfast - I must admit I was fearing the worst! Given the price we were'nt expecting the Ritz but had expected something to be bad or pretty awful. As such we all came away very surprised and finding the deal an absolute bargain.
We arrived on a Sunday, got our gear sorted and went through to reception to pick up scorecards, trolleys etc. On arrival at the starter hut we were instructed there was a practise area over by the 18th hole - so we meandered over the bridge to only find a field, no actual practise ground. We found this slightly strange having to hit your balls and go get them, but we only did this for a few minutes. We headed back and got the go ahead to tee off. The course itself was pretty fair - in all honesty it wasn't the best condition in the world as some reviews have stated, but was a nice golf course with a variety of holes. The 10th hole has a rather strange tee off position & the tee-boxes hadn't been cut on the Sunday but were in much better condition on the Monday after the green-keepers had been out. But otherwise Greens were good and fairways OK etc. A few mole-hills and it could have better care generally, but have played on much worse!
We had a spot of lunch Sunday after we finished and chilled in the bar, the hotel do a decent club sandwich!
Staff (as also commented on in many reviews) were excellent, very friendly and chatty and always willing to help across both days which is a massive plus.
The hotel rooms when we checked in were fine - clean, reasonable size and had everything needed. Same as if you stayed at a Premier Inn etc. Our 3 course evening meal (included in our deal) was also great for the price we paid. Plenty of choice for starters, mains, desserts and was all cooked really well. Drinks were reasonably priced and the club-house had a nice balcony to sit out in the sun with a pint, looking over the course. Breakfast the next morning was also great with plenty of choice from full english to Omlettes to just cereal/toast etc.
Overall for the price we paid we found the weekend break super value for money and can have no complaints. Hotel was good, staff excellent and golf course was enjoyable. Anyone paying this sort of price can't expect certain types of luxuries or standards, so unless people are paying double this I struggle to understand their annoyance - you get what you pay for!
I would recommend for serious golfers it's not the best golf course in the world & they'd probably prefer to pay more to play/stay elsewhere - but as far as value for money goes then the Suffolk is ideal. A really enjoyable stay

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I arrived at The Suffolk on a Sunday on a "golfbreaks" night away/2 rounds deal with 3 friends. The staff at the resort were excellent. Everyone was really friendly and helpful, even managing to arrange us buggies despite the fact "golfbreaks" had not passed on our reservation.
The rooms in the hotel were perfectly adequate, beds comfortable and loads of water pressure in the showers as well as a TV will all the freeview channels and tea/coffee in room.
The restaurant for the Sunday evening meal was excellent, my rump steak was perfectly cooked, and although one of my friends did find his fish a little under-done, the staff did all they could to correct this. Bar prices were also reasonable. Breakfast, a "full English," was spot on too.
However, the golf on Sunday was very poor - the course had not been cut and the tee boxes were uneven and very tired with either no grass or long grass on them. There was only sand in one bunker, and even there, matting was showing through. There is a huge mole problem across the entire course too. We were very disappointed as the course is well established and should be so much better. However, the Monday round was much improved - ground staff had cut the tee boxes and fairways and overnight rain had perked up the entire course. We spoke to a couple of members who said that this establishment recently changed owners and is vastly improved on how it was. I sincerely hope the improvement continues as this course could easily be one of the best in the area as it's well thought out and challenging.
Overall, the hotel staff saved the day, top marks there.

Room Tip: The hotel is away from the road, so noise was not a problem but I would recommend NOT having a botto...
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel is exactly what I expected. The rooms were ok, everything was clean without being spotless, the food in the bar was typical pub food (some good meals some not so good). The staff were polite but not always able to help. Basically it is a reasonable hotel at a reasonable price, I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Upminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just got back and thought I'd write a review while still fresh in my mind.

Arrived Sunday 4th for an overnight stay with two rounds of golf, 3-course meal and breakfast for me and my son for £89 all in for the two of us. This deal was picked up from the offers page on their website.

I read the reviews on here and I was quite worried before I arrived. Got there 15 minutes before check-in officially opened (2pm) but we were allocated our room with no problem. I thought the room was fine, maybe I'm easily pleased, or maybe I was lucky, I don't know. Yes it might possibly benefit from a makeover, but overall I thought it was more than adequate (room 311).

The golf course itself was certainly challenging for me (24 handicapper) and I lost 3 balls on the 1st hole! I learnt to play a little bit more conservatively after that and I probably only lost another 6 over the next 35 holes. Got chatting to a member on one of the holes and he said it's normally £37 for one round of golf as a visitor, £20 if you're the guest of a member, so it makes the deal I got even better value than I thought.

The 3-course meal on the Sunday night was very good, and the breakfast this morning was also very good - the usual full English + cereals / toast / fruit juices etc, it was all very nice.

The staff were all very attentive and helpful, and the bar prices were reasonable. The deal also includes use of the pool / sauna / fitness centre, but we just didn't have time to use them.

Ok, it's not St Andrews or Muirfield, and maybe I'm just easily pleased, but for the money I paid I just can't fault it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Suffolk Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!