“1st visit did not live up to high hopes” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Voujon Indian Cuisine

Voujon Indian Cuisine
29 Mustow Street | Bury St Edmunds, Bury St. Edmunds IP33 1XL, England (Formerly Voujon)
01284 488122
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“1st visit did not live up to high hopes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Both myself and my wife enjoy a nice curry. So for her birthday with friends visiting from Manchester we took them to Voujon on a Friday night.
The service initially was good, though we ordered poppadoms not enough were brought out the array of dips was pleasing.
The main course was very disappointing. The rice was over-cooked and putting fried onion on top did not hide this. The main I had was chicken Naga; there was 3/4 large pieces of chicken only and lots of large pieces of tomato. While it tasted nice and I'm not familiar with the dish I would have expected more meat and less tomato or at least not tomato quite so large.
Our two friends did not enjoy their meal either. Bury now has quite a few curry houses and me and the wife had expectations Voujon would surpass even VC or Orissa but we left disappointed.

Visited January 2014

“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We went as a family of 4, we all said it was the best indian meal we had had for a very long while. It was all faultless, the food was excellent, service was excellent and the waiter was very pleasant and helpful. It was our first visit but certainly won't be the last. We would highly recommend it.

Visited January 2014
Market Weston
“Now the Best in a Bury ....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We are weekly Indian Food addicts, like if I don't get my weekly fix, I come over ill like withdrawal symptoms, and what a place to be addicted to. We have eaten Curry in Bradford, Birmingham, Glasgow and several other places and this is by far and a long way the best best we have tasted and it's good to see that they are introducing Meat Samosa. The service is impeccable and if you are not sure about something, just ask, they bend over backwards to serve you ....

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Suffolk, England
“Good surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Visited with my teenage son to pass a couple of hours whilst waiting for daughter and I am so glad we did. The restaurant was quiet when we arrived but choc a bloc when we left. The food was excellent, good flavours and spice, the popadoms perfect, even the coffee was good, quite unusual in an Indian restaurant! The service was efficient but not intrusive, we weren't rushed nor did we have to wait for anything. I will certainly visit again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Really disappointed - Rude waiter”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

As someone who has frequented the indian restaurant run by this family in another town and having been a customer of theirs for many years I can say I was really looking forward to going to Voujon and sampling what they have to offer in Bury.

Me and my friend weren't particularly impressed with the waiter holding the rice dish over the top of the bowl so the palm of his hand went into our rice! Though this actually wasn't the problem.

A pint of coke was £4.50. Though I think that is a bit ridiculous, the price wasn't the problem. The waiter was. When I queried whether the price was correct with a member of staff when I received the bill I was really surprised by the waiters attitude. As somebody who has worked in the restaurant business for many years I can safely say I would never argue back with a customer as this member of staff did. Especially one who is just simply stating that that is an awful lot for a pint of coke and even more than a pint of beer costs there which makes absolutely no sense at all. I understand that soft drinks are expensive these days but I wasn't making a fuss, there was no need to argue. I was merly making a passing comment that it was quite a lot for a coke.

The fact that the waiter then argued that it was completely reasonable and I in fact was wrong was rude. Oh and smugly giving me a maths lesson is what I found extremely rude too. A maths lesson may I add that was completely stupid and actually made no sense at all. The grin on his face didn't help too much either.

I will not be going back to Voujon and it has put me off going to their other indian restaurant in the neighbouring town too. I'm actually disappointed that I have spent hundreds of pounds over the years as a loyal customer to then be treated like a piece of crap by a waiter whom has not been taught anything about customer service.

• Visited December 2013