“A lovely place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbeygate Cinema

Abbeygate Cinema
4 Hatter Street, Bury St. Edmunds IP33 1NZ, England (Formerly Abbeygate Picturehouse)
+44 871 902 5722
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
6 attraction reviews
“A lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I love this cinema. It's a great place to watch a film with comfy seats, proper staff who show you to your seats and a great selection of snacks and drinks. My favourite place in Bury.

Visited June 2014

3 attraction reviews
“Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I am not usually a film buff, whereas my wife was a regular, but I thoroughly enjoyed the comfortable seating and general ambiance. Nice snacks & drinks. Would definitely recommend to anyone who appreciates comfort and a nice welcome.

Visited May 2014
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Nice simple baby shower”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Went here for a baby shower. We had afternoon tea in the function room. It is well located and a lovely space. We had a really lovely time and I know everyone enjoyed it however there were a few things I was surprised at and I would like to comment of.

We weren't greeted with much of anything really. Kind of left to our own devices. The staff seem somewhat untrained and flakey.

The food was really nice. Scones were amazing, sandwiches were strange only 2 fillings which were quite polarizing (salmon and cream cheese and a mustard/ coronation chicken thing) all served on white bread (I would have liked some variety here). A few had gone a little stale but not too bad. I don't believe these were made that day. However they were nice. Beautiful tea cups were bought around to everyone and pots of tea put out. However several of the pots were stone cold and it took a bit of commotion to have these changed.

We also had some customers come upstairs and join the party which we had to deal with ourselves as the staff were somewhat unavailable or unwilling.

Having said this the setting, the food and the idea is lovely and it was a really beautiful baby shower and I would recommend. I just hope they keep their staff a bit happier and improve a little with the fiber details.

3 attraction reviews
“Lovely Atmospheric Cinema”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

A visit to Abbeygate Cinema is incomparable with a visit to a chain cinema. So comfortable and elegant. A great experience in itself.

Visited June 2014
4 attraction reviews
“Perfect way to see a film”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Now known as the Abbeygate Cinema but still the same quality experience as far as I can tell. Housed in a characterful building in a quaint street in the centre of town. Parking is easy during the week using on-street spaces that are free after 6pm but can be trickier on a Friday or Saturday night so you may need to allow a few minutes extra to find a space or walk a little further. On a good evening, it is possible to park right outside the cinema! Once inside, the tasteful decor and quiet atmosphere are far removed from the modern multiplex: no loud music, crowds of teenagers or flashing games machines. Our children love the cosy surroundings and friendly staff, not to mention the high quality ice creams, cakes and treats! When we've been here as a couple, the cinema offers a lovely relaxing evening out with a quick meal before the film or the chance to take a glass of wine to your (comfortable and clean) seat. Highly recommend membership - 3 free tickets and a discount on food in the restaurant/café. Lovely room upstairs for parties too.

Visited May 2014