“Hotel great..apart from the food” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Angel Hill, Bury St. Edmunds 1P33 1LT, England   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Hotel great..apart from the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and found the staff very welcoming and helpful throughout. So nice to have the very friendly porter take your luggage to your room and park your car, gets your stay off to a good start. We had a lovely room (017) which is in the annexe at the front of the building, recently had a revamp and was spotlessly clean and very comfortable.

We dined I the Hotel restaurant on our first night, service was fine as was my dinner but my husbands was a big disappointment, very tough meat and fairly minimal portions, certainly not value for money, as there are many other eateries in town I would not recommend eating in the hotel. Breakfast is a bit hit and miss, again mean portions and everything was luke warm.

I would certainly stay here again but would go out to eat, even for breakfast.

Room Tip: Can only offer opinion on room 017 which was very comfortable.....but no view as it is ground floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Hotel itself is what I would call ostentatious in it's decor. Some of this works, i.e. the dining room with it's eclectic collection of art was excellent. The rest is all a bit too boutique for my taste. The Zebra skin covered chair next to the reception desk is both tasteless and offensive.

Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable, decor was a bit commercial. The bed and pillows were the most comfortable I have ever experienced in a hotel. Every facility is provided in the room. My biggest gripe was that the windows are sealed shut. There is air conditioning in the room, but I prefer fresh air and it got very warm and stuffy at night. Strangely the bed did not have a valance fitted, and the basin has a crack right across it, which all looks a bit scruffy.

Breakfast was very good and the service very pleasant. It was not as generous as I expected, we were only offered one glass of juice, and there didn't appear to be any help yourself cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc. My full english was very nice but who would think of cutting one mushroom and a slice of black pudding in half unless they were on an economy drive?

My biggest dislike with this hotel was their request to take your car keys away. This felt a bit like a removal of my freedom. I also have concerns about personal security when handing over my keys. I hope this idea doesn't catch on with Hotels, I'm not going to leave without paying and to date I can carry my own bags, I know some people need and like this kind of service, I believe it should very much be optional.

Room Tip: Insist on keeping your car keys.
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We have stayed here several times as family live in the area. Would normally recommend to others but not anymore!. First room offered was ground floor facing the car park. curtain was off the track, hole in wall where tieback had been. Moved to courtyard room to find there were no drawers to put clothes in, sink had no plug so attendant suggested keeping hot water running to have a shave!!!! Poor standard of decor needs decorating in many areas. Finally manager moved us to romantic suite on top floor. Nicer room but a little noisy as sash window had broken string and was open. Price does not reflect quality and economy measures are very obvious to customers i.e.very little butter with toast, tiny milk jugs, poor portions for breakfast. Feels like there has been a change of ownership.

Room Tip: Avoid courtyard rooms. Ask to check the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed for one night after a spa day at Centre Parcs. On arrival we were met by a very helpful staff member that carried our bags to our room and parked our car in the rear car park. The standard double room was a good quality and very clean. Everything was going well until the morning when we were woken by a very noisy heating system. This we could live with but the breakfast was a disaster.
The hotel boasts about the award winning restaurant. The evening menu is very expensive and therefore we went elsewhere. The breakfast was included with our hotel price so we expected a really good start to the day. However, the menu offered no vegetarian alternatives apart from serials or a full English with no meat. This would have been okay if the missing meat was replaced by an extra egg or mushrooms. Is it that difficult to have vegetarian sausages and hash browns in the freezer?
When the cut down full English arrived, it was terrible. The fried bread was rock hard and inedible. The egg and beans were overcooked. This was unacceptable for an award winning restaurant. Obviously the breakfast was cooked by somebody unqualified because most residents had already paid up front. It was the worst breakfast we have ever had in all our traveling experience.
This bad experience was amplified by a family that was allowed to have their dog with them in the restaurant sitting in between them on the seat at the table. Surely this cant be allowed and breaks food hygiene regulations. The staff overlooked this issue. Not good enough Angel Hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have no view of the Abbey if they are standard rooms
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a good quality comfortable hotel. The decor and furnishing is pleasing without being in your face pretentious.

The room I had was reasonably spacious.

The bed was a little on the soft side for my liking and noise travel between rooms is typical of older hotels, but nevertheless I slept well.

Service was at a good level without being intrusive.

I only had a light breakfast but that did look to be of a good standard too.

Obviously if you are visiting Bury this is about as central as it gets.

I paid £135 per night for my room and I could not really fault it at that price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

From checking in right up till leaving, we were left with the impression that everyone was so pleasant and helpful, not because they had to be, but because they were genuine. We stayed two nights and had an excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Wendover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

How nice to be met by the porter, your luggage taken care of and likewise our car. We have only experienced this previously at a 4 star hotel in Bath. The service level stayed up there with the best, in fact the entire staff at all times seemed pleased to see us and could not have been more helpful. We stayed in the Graham Greene suit, which décor wise, was a little tired but the view and lack of noise, despite being at the front of the hotel more than made up for it. The only downside was the restaurant décor which did not seem sympathetic to the character of the building. The eating experience was also a little disappointing with rather obvious portion control. Although we are not big eaters the starters were on the mean side regarding quantity. On our first night my wife chose halibut (her favourite fish) and a very tired cut arrived which was curling at the edges and it came as no surprise that this option was crossed off the specials board. The following night we both chose duck breast which came with beetroot and potatoes. The beetroot comprised of two pieces the size of tangerine segments and we felt that at £21.95 they could have given more vegetables. This theme was continued through to breakfast, the Suffolk comprised half of a slice of black pudding, one small sausage and first for me, only one egg although not being a big eater that was fine. The butter supplied was totally inadequate for the toast and we had to request more. However, these were minor irritations and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!