“An excellent hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Southampton, United Kingdom
“An excellent hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Recently had to reccommend a hotel to a friend who wanted a weekend break and remembered staying here about a year ago for a 60th birthday celebration. This was a superb hotel, excellent rooms and great surroundings. The breakfast was good as well. A better hotel than this would only be one that cost 5x more!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Rochdale, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

This hotel is slap-bang in the middle of town, ideally situated for the cathedral. Because of its location however, it suffers from parking issues - the small car park was full at 5pm, and on street parking is horrendously expensive - £1-30p for 30 mins.
You get free parking after 6pm, but it starts again at 8am, so you have to be up early to feed the meter.
I got a disabled room on the ground floor at the back of the hotel, and to be honest, it needed upgrading - horrible gaudy patterned carpet, mouldy tile grouting in the bathroom, and uncomfortable pillows.
At 7-10am there was loud crashing and banging outside my bedroom window as the laundry lorry arrived, lowered the tail-lift and started to unload heavy cages of bed linen.
Good points are free wi-fi, pet friendly and a nice breakfast.
I'm not really likely to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
LynnCowan, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
Being a town centre hotel, sitting on the Georgian Square, the hotel does have a small carpark, but we work extremly hard to assist all guests with parking. I have a concierge team who do exactly this. I am extremly sorry that you were not informed about our parking procedure.
Once my car park is full we do park our guests cars, and move them through to the car park when spaces become available. We do not ask our guests to pay on the front carpark outside the Angel. This is a council car park, and yes the rates are high. If we had had your car keys, we would of taken care of it for you. I will be speaking to my reservations and reception team to ensure that this information is communicated through to our guests more clearly. I apoligise again that on this occasion we did not provide our high level of service to you. I do hope I can welcome you back soon.
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

In corridoors Architraves all chipped and dented, carpets. First room tiny and overlooking flat roof and vents. disappointing shock.
Eventually given mini suite larger room, but furniture tatty, curtains torn- wouldnt close light woke me up - Wallpaper and carpets old.........etc
It was however clean and the staff were mostly friendly. East Europeans especially so Central location and parking.

Dinner acceptable, Breakfast not; fruit in sugar water and ham out of a packet and tasteless.

Staff were OK to me, but on the following night, my son was staying at the Angel, and having found someone already in the room allocated was forced to go back downstairs to manager who clearly didnt believe him and said 'show me' then after traipsing upstairs again, he agreed and @ 20 mins later found him another room. My son was carrying his wedding suit as well as an overnight bag. Not acceptable.
Many of the wedding guests were staying there also.
I would not stay again. It was expensive, certainly not 4 star, a down at heel hotel.
(I moved to the Premier Inn at Ipswich North which was much better!!! What a surprise )

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, in regards to your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your initial room was not to your requirements, and I am pleased my staff offered you an alternitive complimentry upgrade to one of my junior suites. We always try and accommodate all our guests needs, to ensure a great stay. I am sorry that on this occasion we let you down.
In regards to your sons room, human error, I am afraid was the cause of this. I sincerely apoligise for any upset caused. Thank you once again, and I will certainly take on all your comments on board.
Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We first stayed at the Angel Hotel 3 years ago in a very charming if old fasioned room. Last year the hotel was revamped and all though we had our old room again, it wasn't recognisable, so stylishly and elegantly refurbished, quite lovely. The bed and pillows were the most comfortable we've ever slept on and the bathroom was divine.
In addition to all those plusses, the food is excellent and the location superb.

The lack of a lift is the only negative, however the porter who was very helpful met us in the car park on our arrival and carried everything to our room for us.
We love staying at the Angel and are looking forward to staying again this year.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view toward the Cathedral
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
wiltshire uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed here for one night...great room overlooking the cathedral, huge bed and clean tidy room. Plenty of charm, free breakfast in bed if you required it..just a lovely hotel. Food very good in the restaurant however was a little pricey.

Room Tip: Not sure about the new rooms to the rear but the !
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location, but the experience of visiting is completely let-down by the reception staff. When a customer arrives at the desk the member of staff on duty should smile and say hello. A stare is not enough. This happened to me twice within the space of 10 minutes on Saturday morning. No-one came to take our order so I had to go back to reception to ask for coffee. If the hotel can't provide a service they should not offer it. The coffee and the service from the waitress was good and it is a pleasant
place to have a drink.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
essex, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

I stayed at The Angel in Bury St Edmunds having previously had a great night in its sister hotel, The Salthouse, in Ipswich.

It was just for a night away with my other half, so as a treat, we decided to stay in a Prestige Room. I highly recommend doing this if it is in your budget, not that I saw the other rooms, but the room we had was lovely, and in my opinion well worth the extra, I would even say the nicest room I have stayed in at a UK based hotel, more 5* feel to it. Lovely comfy bed, nice TV with free view, free high speed WiFi (I done a speed test and it is 16mb), amazing bathroom with huge cooper bath and fabulous rain shower.

Breakfast served to the room at no extra cost is fantastic, much like at the Salthouse, a brilliant Suffolk Breakfast, danish, pot of tea, fresh juice. On a Sunday morning, when you have had a few glasses of wine the night before, the last thing I want to do is go downstairs to a busy restaurant for breakfast, I wish I could have that every morning!!

The only gripe I have is the parking. I didn't feel too happy leaving my car jammed into the small car park at the rear of the hotel. I didn't feel happy having to leave my car keys as the told me they would have to move it. I wasn't happy that it was moved to the public car park at the front of the hotel the following morning. I hate leaving my car in car parks as it is as I live in fear of door dings etc. If I leave my car in a car park, I leave it in the quietest corner, far away from where everyone else will park to avoid inconsiderate people who don't care about driving into your car, damaging it by opening door into it etc. Something I couldn't avoid during my stay and it played on my mind, especially after reading the Angel info book in my room where i saw a "no liability" for damage to, or theft from cars left in the car park. I hope the valets were insured to drive my car..??? If I had known the car parking was like this, then i would have taken our run around car. If you have a nice car that you love and you are a little anal about like me, and obviously isn't a company car that you can just give back and not worry about a little ding here and there, you may think wanna think twice about leaving in the Angel (Public) car park. That being said, after inspection, my car was fine.

Great stay, Great room, Great Breakfast, Great Staff, Awful Car Park!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!