“We got Quality!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Hotel Bury St. Edmunds

You added Quality Hotel Bury St. Edmunds to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Bury St. Edmunds
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   A14 Bury East Exit | Symonds Road, Bury St. Edmunds IP32 7DZ, England (Formerly Ramada Bury St. Edmunds)   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Boston, United Kingdom
“We got Quality!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed for a weekend in June and was more than satisfied. After reading some of the reviews I can only presume they are getting all the problems sorted. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Bed comfy and clean and we could not fault our room and bathroom. Location very good. We always walked into the centre and got a taxi back because the walk through didn't seem very well lit. Taxi was about £5. On the down side I did think the breakfast was expensive. We did eat at Sainsburys cafe which was over the road which was a lot cheaper. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We arrived on the 25th may 2013, firstly the reception, not only being rude, tried telling our group we hadn't booked the number of rooms we said, later apologising once the reservations were found. Me and my partner entered our room to find the bed hadn't even been made. I then connected to the "free wifi" which is the slowest wifi I have ever used. We went down for a late lunch and on asking if they were doing food, we was made to feel like it was such a chore for them. The food arrived, a few chicken sandwiches, hardly any chicken and. A sandwich full of mayonnaise.... In the evening on returning from a party, we looked at the menu, which stated so,e food was 24 hour, we rang Down only to be told they don't serve 24 hour it's an old menu and that they don't even do some of the food on the menu in the day! Oh and the mattress was terrible. . About to check out, for good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMBury, General Manager at Quality Hotel Bury St. Edmunds, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Liam B,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read your stay at the hotel was disappointing.

I understand there was an issue with the number of rooms your group had booked due to a number of them being cancelled and then re-booked via a different channel. Unfortunately it appears we did not receive the booking confirmation from the online agent for the 2nd group of rooms booked which lead to the confusion upon check in.

I would always advise guests to book accommodation at the hotel directly to ensure the hotel is able to confirm the booking with confirmation numbers etc rather than booking through a third party.

I am sorry that the Wi-Fi did not appear to be running as strongly as you had wished.

I will discuss your feedback regarding your lunch service with the team to ensure that the service and food offered is not as per your feedback.

I understand that the group leader did not highlight any issues upon departure yesterday, had she done this would have given us the opportunity to apologise further for the issues that arose upon check in.

Stockton-on-Tees
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Fortunately we only stayed one night in May 2013. Refurbishment work was being done but was not a problem or inconvenience but the bed was possibly the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in. A soft, spongy excuse for a mattress meant we both had aching backs the following morning after poor night's sleep. The shower temperature control didn't work meaning you had scalding hot or nothing. The other thing was only one bedside table meaning my wife had nowhere to leave her spectacles etc... All in all a very unsatisfactory stay. Didn't bother with breakfast as it looked very expensive and a Sainsburys with a cafe was just across the road and offered a very reasonable alternative.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry your stay was not an enjoyable one.

As you have metnioned in your review the hotel is undergoing refurbishment works and bed replacements are being organised as part of this.

I am sorry these were not in place prior to your visit.

We will be also be addressing bedside tables and location of beds in each room as we work through them.

Suffolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here in May with friends. Luckily I had a reduced rate of £82 on a late deals site, but even at this price this Hotel is overpriced. I did contact the Hotel directly to check rates before my stay, but unfortunately the gentlemen to whom I spoke did not seem to know the current advertised rate on the Hotels own Website and was subsequently qouted an even higher rate! The staff I met during my stay were much better.

The facilities are very tired and the rooms have seen better days but are clean with everything you need. The rooms are very hot though, but there is a fully opening window.

Did not eat here and neither did many others during my stay so can not comment on the food. The restaurant and bar area does need serious redecoration and looks straight out of the 1980's.

The plus points at this Hotel are the very helpful and friendly staff, the large carpark and well kept grounds.

I would recommend this Hotel for short stays if the price was no more than £60 per room as there are lower priced rooms in Bury that are much nicer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read that you found the staff friendly and helpful during your stay.

As part of the hotel rebranding to Quality Hotels we are currently working on updating the hotel and the front of house areas will be updated in due course.

wrexham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Room was fine, receptionist not the most cheerful but no real issues. Breakfast was buffet style like most places but in no way was it worth £17 each. If you do stay here there is a Sainsburys across the road.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read you found the rooms to be satisfactory.

I am confused as to where you have noted the breakfast price of £ 17.00.

If breakfast is pre booked this is either included in the room rate when booking B & B or can be purchased at reception for £ 10.00 per person upon check in.

The charge in the morning if not pre booked is £ 13.95 for a full breakfast.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

If I had read some of these comments before I probably would not have stayed at the hotel. I was in Bury St Edmunds on business and was too tired to drive home so decided to stay the night instead. Reception on arrival was fast simple and friendly, the room was very clean and the hotel was in general. The restaurant was fine with a good choice of meals on the menu and waiter service was very good and attentive. One thing I liked was they had very strong wifi signals all over the hotel so it was nice to sit on the terrace with a cold beer and read the news on my iPad.
I never saw a manager at any time during my stay, no problem because the staff were doing a great job anyway, just an observation.
Breakfast in the morning was great, couldn't fault it at all.

Two things that I thought could be changed to make it an even better place to stay. I was really surprised to see no mini bar in my room, a hotel at this price should offer a mini bar I think, and also I am a Guinness drinker so think they should do away with those cans and get proper draught Guinness in! Just my ideas.

Overall I left very happy and I will be staying again in the future. Thank you

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

It is always very refreshing to read a review where the hard work the team puts into the hotel is noted and I am very grateful for your comments.

We are always trying very hard to ensure the guest’s experiences at the hotel are good am I am delighted that you found this to be the case.

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Breakfast was very good and we told the staff how much we had enjoyed it. But the noise late at night and early morning from bedroom doors banging shut was quite unacceptable. From 11 until midnight every few seconds it seemed we heard doors on our corridor being banged - they are spring-loaded and, it seems, impossible to close quietly. We got little sympathy from staff. After the first interrupted night we enquired about the noisy neighbours and were told they were not staying a second night, but that was completely untrue and we had the same problem the second night. They were unable to give us another room.
The mattress was also uncomfortable - I could feel lumps and bumps instead of a smooth surface and I woke with backache. I had no bedside table, so nowhere but the floor to put things beside the bed, nor did I have a light my side, so had to get up in the night in darkness.
There was not enough storage space for clothes so I left mine in my suitcase all weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Hotel Bury St. Edmunds? Share your experiences!