“unassuming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Chantry Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bury St. Edmunds
The Chantry Hotel
You added The Chantry Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Sparhawk St, Bury St. Edmunds IP33 1RY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Sussex
“unassuming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I agree with other reviewers that this hotel has the feel of a decent B & B so don't expect anything flash. But it is well located, has parking, and the beds in our twin room (6) were unusually comfortable. It was a good night. I have no complaints.

Room Tip: Room 6 (twin) was quiet, looking out over courtyard car park to historic church beyond.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brecon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

At £89 for a single per night I was expecting the Chantry to be firmly in "quality" territory. It gets there in many respects, and the location is good, but for me it was a bit of a let-down in comparison with the B&B I'd stayed in the previous two nights for around half the price. The service is OK, if you like hotel staff in jeans and t-shirt, and the room and facilities reasonable quality, but a few issues let down the overall deal. The breakfast is no better than bog standard (e.g. stewed mushrooms that smell like old dishcloths, undercooked bargain-basement tomatoes, bog standard tinned grapefruit/prune options, crockery and glasses not overly clean, and a broken cafetiere on my first morning, mineral water in room not replenished on 2nd day). The bed was good but had a thick duvet much too warm for the season, with no blanket options. Wifi was present but intermittent in my far-flung room (9), making for a frustrating time when trying to work. Also, they "did" my room while I was at breakfast, which for some reason I find very wrong - wait til I'm out of the building please. On the positive side, they generously allowed me to use the car park after checking out for my final hours in the town - much appreciated.

Room Tip: Room 9 pleasant, but is up quite a lot of narrows stairs and the WiFi was unreliable for me.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Godalming, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Our "de luxe" room was quiet and spacious, though we were surprised to find only a standard double bed. Our booking was for a couple, so we spent some time looking through the (well appointed) bathroom for a second set of towels - to no avail.

Breakfast was a disappointment, with hard poached eggs and coffee which seemed to have had only fleeting exposure to coffee beans; as so often, toast was served before the meal, so was not at its best when that came. After that first morning we ate elsewhere for the remainder of our stay.

However, the room was quiet.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed here for 6 months while relocating with work. I found the hotel to be very clean, with lovely rooms and very friendly staff. The hotel is in a great location with plenty of parking.

The breakfast options were excellent and the food was always cooked to perfection using local produce.

Great hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Really like this hotel. Bedroom has character but with modern conveniences. Breakfast was perfect and like the fact hotel uses local suppliers. Only loses a star for us just outside the very centre of a Bury. Though it's a pleasant walk in.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are accessed up quite a narrow spiral staircase. Ask for a first floor room if mo...
Guildford, Surrey, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I spent one night at the Chantry Hotel en route to visiting sick friends by taxi at the Stowlangtoft Nursing Home. (There is offstreet parking but I didn't need it.) I had a confirmed price for a single room but was upgraded at no extra cost to a double room. The bed was luxuriously crisp and soft, the small bathroom well planned and equipped with good towels and consumables, the central heating working well. There was a phone, coffee/tea making kit and hairdryer. The room and bathroom were immaculate though not ultra-modern. I would have liked a tiny table to write cards on or for bedside essentials. I could not get the shower to emulate the great hot water in the hand basin, but perhaps I was impatient. There is a nice lounge next to reception, where there is also a drinks service. The breakfast room is very smart (the smartest place I saw in the hotel) and I had a good breakfast of cereal, fruit juice, poached eggs and generous toast and coffee. There are other cooked options. The management are friendly without imposing themselves and the street is quiet. Checkout is at 10.30 a.m. but bags are kept for later collection without a fuss. The price was £75 — more a hotel price than a B&B price although essentially this is a B&B. Without a car I was pleased to find this location a stone's throw from the historic monuments and I was happy to be welcomed as a solo traveller — never a certainty. The hotel's list of dining options in the town seemed a little outdated. I chose Prezzo — not a very original choice but a good experience in itself. Costa's in Waterstone's bookshop is a nice branch for morning coffee with the old Ottakar's murals still intact. But the town has a wealth of independent coffee and snack bars during the day.

Room Tip: Room 2 in the main building is easily accessible
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
norwich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

The feel is more of a good B&B rather than an enchanting "period house"hotel .The decor is unimpressive with mostly pine furniture you are more likely to encounter in a B&B.Our "de luxe" bedroom was adequate and understated .We had a narrow double bed with a very uncomfortable mattress.The redeeming features however were a central location, pleasant friendly service and a very good breakfast.May be the annexe has got a bit more to offer!

chantry1, Owner at The Chantry Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for your review. We always take note of customer reviews as they help us to improve the service we offer. Most of our double bedded rooms have standard double beds but we do have a few rooms that have king size beds. If you need a larger bed you would need to let us know when you make a booking. The room you had was furnished with contemporary light oak furniture and a Victorian satin walnut dressing table. We do have rooms furnished with antique French and English beds in the older parts of the hotel although these rooms tend to be smaller.

Been to The Chantry Hotel? Share your experiences!