“Hamper” 4 of 5 stars

01284 755127
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1819, this Grade 1 listed playhouse is the only surviving example of a Regency theatre in this country. It is the only theatre open to the public in the National Trust's portfolio of properties. Now fully restored its extraordinarily intimate auditorium and exquisite decorative scheme will provide visitors with an unforgettable and unique theatrical experience.The Theatre presents a vibrant, year-round programme of drama, music, dance and light entertainment, featuring many of this country's leading companies and performers. We also offer a wide-ranging educational and community-based programme of activities.
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Hamper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My family and I visited the Theatre Royal last night and ordered a 'Mediterranian Hamper' of food to have before the performance. We arrived to find a reserved table that had been laid ready for us and a slate lined wicker basket of food brought to our table as soon as we made ourselves known to the staff. The 'hamper' contained a lovely selection of meats, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, olives, a bread roll each and a nice bottle of bordeax wine. The quality of the food and wine was excellent but at £30 for 3 people it wasn't really enough. Another bread roll each and some fruit, perhaps some grapes or strawberries would have made it seem a meal rather than a snack. We came home after the theatre and had a sandwich as we were all hungry.
So...overal the quality of food at the theatre has improved significantly, but I did expect more of it.

Visited April 2013

Horncastle, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“A hidden little gem not to be missed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Theatre Royal is a place like no other. It was given to the town by local Greene King Brewery.
It is quite small and intimate, and although the seats are not the most comfortable, it more than makes up for the fact that it has a most beautiful ceiling and has enticed the most famous of famous people. I know this as I was born in Bury St. Edmunds and worked at a local hotel where the stars used to stay. David Kossoff was brilliant with his one man shows and people like Edmund Hockeridge. Pat Phoenix, Vincent Price, Coral Brown have all played there. it now has all types of shows, pantomimes, and also live music shows. it is quite sometime since I visited it, but the memories of this little Theatre will live with me for ever. Please do not miss it when visiting Bury St. Edmunds, otherwise you will have missed something very very special.

Visited April 2012
bury st edmunds
5 attraction reviews
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Its a gem, of design, but the seats are so uncomfortable, at my age I need more padding. I went to see an old mate Sir Derek Jacobi, it was a superb night, its a great venue and worthy of a visit.

Visited August 2012
Thetford, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
“Lovely Theatre, Romeo and Juliet show.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I got this theatre ticket as a christmas present. The theatre is very small and the seating was a bit uncomfortable but it was worth sitting through the numb bum to see this show! The show was very good with great actors! The pricing of the tickets are also good. I will definitely be going back to this quaint little theatre!

Visited February 2013
Cheshire
5 attraction reviews
“Romeo and Juliet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our trip to this unusual old theatre was most enjoyable. We sat in the front row of The Pit and so had a perfect view. The production was modern and interesting and we will certainly be back in the future. The seats could have been more comfortable but I understand there is a deliberate effort to make the theatre as close an experience to its Regency origins as possible.

Visited March 2013