“What's not to like?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“What's not to like?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

The rooms are comfortable and well presented with clean and comfortable beds. The rooms which face inland also have very interesting views across the flat lands and estuary. The service staff were exceptionally helpful, and friendly, the service was good and nothing seemed to be too much trouble .The lounge had a good atmosphere and drinks were offered. The location is excellent, and has easy access to the main high street. Parking is free for patrons, and there is easy access for wheel chairs. The staff seemed to work flat out during meals and even during 'down time' were always looking out for what could be done picking up the odd piece of paper, straightening chairs, or even washing the legs of the terrace chairs!!! Was that really necessary!? Even so, it was done with good humour and charm! The management were friendly and helpful, and honestly people who knit-pick about this and that will not find a more welcoming place to stay for a short break. We will be back! Oh yes..the food is excellent and there is a wide range of choices.

Room Tip: There is a lift to all floors so really it comes down to sea facing or inland facing.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BrudenellGManager, General Manager at The Brudenell Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Graham

Thank you for your glowing review, I am pleased every moment of your stay was excellent and you felt most welcomed.

We look forward to welcoming you back

Peter Osborne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We just had a weekend at the Brudenell to celebrate my Husbands birthday. I had brought a birthday cake as surprise and asked them to put it in the room before we had the room key. We went for a walk and on our return went to our allotted room. They had not only put the cake on a table but also supplied a lovely bottle of wine and chocolates plus a birthday card. My Husband thought I had organised it all but said no just the cake. At dinner in the evening my husbands dessert came with a sparkler and the staff singing happy birthday. Our room was perfect and with wonderful views of the sea. The bathroom luxurious and big fluffy towels/dressing gowns. The food at dinner and breakfast was yummy and a great choice on dinner/breakfast menu. The staff all had a smile in their eyes and seemed happy in their work. So all in all we were well looked after and felt cosseted. Did not want the weekend to finish.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea room if you enjoy being lulled to sleep or woken up by the waves crashing on the beach...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Quinie

Thank you for your kind comments, I am ever so pleased to read you and your husband had a lovely birthday celebration and the team made your stay memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Brudenell.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We were given good reports on the hotel but came away disappointed - it was just OK. The room we had was clean and pleasant and the hotel overall was tidy. The staff were friendly but not welcoming. The restaurant was unimpressive - the menu was uninteresting and the service was poor. After being called from the bar for our dinner we had to wait ages for our starter but no sooner had we finished that, our main course was in front of us! Pre-dinner drinks were very expensive although wine prices were average. There must be much better places to stay in Aldeburgh - we won't go back to the Brudenell

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Glens

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to read the Brudenell experience did not suit your style.

We hope you continue to enjoy your visits to Aldeburgh.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Wonderful setting right by the sea in attractive aldeburgh. Good place to sit in the lounge and stare out to sea - before exploring surprisingly vibrant aldeburgh with its good shops and restaurants and then go for a walk to the Martello tower. Dinner and breakfast food very good. Check in staff charming. Restaurant staff nearly all charming with the occasional slip ("the kitchen IS very busy"). Big thing made out of their cocktail list which is an attractive thought and good when they (eventually) came. Nitpicking aside a gracious seaside stay for a weekend and the children also loved it.

Room Tip: Third floor is quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rupert

Thank you for your kind comments; I am pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you back to The Brudenell.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I recently returned from a one-night stay at the Brudenell, and have been inspired to do my first tripadvisor review based on the experience! First, the (very) good part. My single room was very well appointed, and with a surprisingly large bathroom with full sized bath and lovely toiletries provided. Having expected a land-facing room, it was a great surprise to have a window facing out over the beach, and amazing to hear the waves crashing outside. Some chocolates were provided which was a lovely touch, and I was extremely impressed by the room overall.
Equally as good was the delicious dinner that I had in the hotel restaurant, with a very attentive level of service. Each of the three courses was served promptly and I never had to ask for a single thing without the waiter asking me first. The restaurant had a lovely ambience and I felt that it was great value for money.
However, when I came down for breakfast at around 9.30am, (which I was told would finish at 10am), I was met by total mayhem in the restaurant! Clearly very understaffed, all the empty tables had yet to be cleared, and the buffet table was very sorry looking - juice but no cups, empty bowls which looked like they once had contained fruit, 1 or 2 lonely looking pastries and very little else. I tried to ask if I could have a menu, but the waiting staff were sprinting around the place so quickly it was impossible - I heard multiple cries of 'I'll be with you in a minute' as they struggled to keep up with customers' requests. I had to ask if my table could be cleared (not even my own mess!), and then ask for a menu, and then for some cutlery... and then ask if I could order something! It was like I was invisible..exhausting! The crowning moment was when I asked for some butter, and the waitress leaned over to the next door uncleared table and took the butter that had been left there (for who knows how long?), peering at it and then saying 'I think this is ok, I don't think it's been used!'. Classic! So much for a relaxing Sunday morning breakfast...
In summary - a lovely hotel but if you're going for breakfast, try to avoid busy times, otherwise you will end up stressed out and disappointed!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time so share your experience at the hotel. I am pleased to read that overall your visit to the hotel was extremely enjoyable and that you felt well looked after. I am very sorry on this occasion the breakfast service did not live up to your expectations or indeed our high standards. We will always aim to offer exceptional customer service, I will certainly look into the issues you raised and do hope we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss this further.

Leicester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in room 109 at this hotel. We had a lovely meal. We retired to bed and unfortunately heard lots of noise from the kitchen below. We could also see the kitchen from our window. There was normal kitchen noise and banter until after midnight and then again in the morning. On checking out we told the receptionist about the noise and she confirmed that our room and 110 were the worst and they allocate them last. Looking at previous reviews a few people have commented about noise, and management have responded that they always inform guests, this is not true. I was definitely not informed. I won't stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gary

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I am ever so sorry to read your experience did not live up to your expectations. As noted it is our policy to advice guests where the rooms are located and I am extremely sorry this did not happen on this occasion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this further

Regards
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We had a short break planned and decided to try the Brudenell. It not only met our expectations but exceeded them in every way. Very friendly and attentive staff, excellent food (we had a dinner B&B package) very clean and well appointed room, excellent nights sleep in a most comfortable bed with the sound of the sea to lull us to sleep. Bliss. We also had a cocktail in the very cosy lounge area which is perfect for relaxing, reading and just watching the motion of the sea. Then there are the delights of Aldeburgh to explore. Lovely town with everything you could need. Thorpeness, Southwold, Woodbridge and many other destinations are all close by for those who need to explore further. We will definitely return to the Brudenell.

Room Tip: We had a sea view in room 205. Lovely room. Sun streamed in first thing in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
BrudenellFOHManager, General Manager at The Brudenell Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
It sounds as if you have had a very enjoyable stay and have discovered all the things that we wanted you to! thank you for your kind words and we look forward to you returning soon.

Been to The Brudenell Hotel? Share your experiences!