“Good wholesome food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Cleveland UK
“Good wholesome food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Booked a table in order to try out a new local eaterie with my wife after reading the reviews given since October 2012 when the new owner took over.
We were not disappointed.
The menu is changed almost daily and all food is freshly prepared.
The menu choice is not vast,but big enough for almost all. A large menu can only be achieved out of a tin or a packet !.
Any delay in serving the food was down to the fact that the dishes were freshly prepared,surely a
good indicator that food hasn't been sitting on the shelf waiting to be warmed up.
I chose venison with red wine and bramble jus and my wife had fish and chips with a pea and cream mash.We followed with rhubarb and apple crumble and the custard was the real stuff.
The food was cooked to perfection and well presented.
The service was good and very attentive.
Portions were generous and well worth the price.
Yes the fish and chips were £12.99 but we would rather pay a few pounds more and enjoy the meal than take pot luck for a lower price with frozen products.
Last of all the loos were sparkling clean.A good indicator to the high standards of hygiene likely to exist elsewhere in the establishment.
This place is worth a visit

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

UK
“Food good but limited choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We called in here on a friday evening without booking.
We were given a table in the bar area which was ok but there were some very loud people around the bar.
The menu was quite small.I don't like fish,can't manage a 10 oz steak,don't fancy venison hate burgers so the only thing I could order was the only chicken dish on the menu which was cooked in red wine.it was quite nice.
Very limited dessert menu too- we shared the plum pie-gorgeous.
It seemed to take ages for the food to arrive.
The staff were very attentive.
The prices aren't cheap-average about £12.50 for a main course.
Won't rush back.I like a bit more choice on the menu.

North East England
“Ver good gastropub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visited on a Tuesday night and very quiet - closes mondays. Staff welcoming and attentive - excellent service. Log fire .About 8 starters all around £5 and 10 mains around £10-12 to choose from but only 4 desserts (£4.95). Good variety though and cooked to your liking - even the burger. Well presented and sensible sized portions. Willl definately be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Darlington, England
“Well Worth the Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was my first meal at the Vane Arms, and I went following good local reviews. I have known Tom's family for many years and Ray and Sally Ann (Tom's parents) have an excellent reputation for providing good food. This reputation is intact! I went with my wife and son, and between us we had a good selection from the menu. All the food we had looked good and tasted better. Staff were attentive, but not overly so. Even thought this is still early days for Tom and his wife with the Vane Arms, the future is looking good. The pub has a good feeling about it and it is well worth a visit. Tom has shared his plans for the future with us, and I can only see this venu becoming more popular, especially as it is within easy reach of several decent-sized towns.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Had an excellent meal. I can highly recommend the cauliflower fritters as a starter and the apple and blueberry crumble is to die for.