“friendly staff and great service will be back” 5 of 5 stars

Tollgate Hotel & Leisure
Ripon Road, Stoke-on-Trent ST3 3BS, England   |
Ranked #8 of 19 Stoke-on-Trent B&B and Inns
kent
“friendly staff and great service will be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

my husband and i recently stayed at this hotel and we cannot fault it,our room was spotless, lovely fluffy white towels which were changed daily,flat screen television ,tea and coffee facilites, the food was excellent with a great choice, plentiful and well cooked, all the staff were very helpful and friendly,there is good secure parking facilities,we didnt use any of the sports facilities so cannot comment on those,so in all we had a pleasent stay and will definately return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We based ourselves here so we could travel to Alton Towers and the Peak District in the car. It was the perfect distance from Alton Towers being only 15 minutes drive away. The Peak District a little further but easily found.

The room we stayed in was in a block facing a cricket green. With the windows open you could here the match but it wasn't very loud and obviously they didn't play late into the evening. The room is basic, clean and tidy. The hairdryer provided is attached to a drawer and has a short lead and you have to keep the button pressed to work it - very tiring - plus it isn't very powerful. If a hairdryer is important to you I would suggest you bring your own. The shower was hot and powerful. The bathroom had a heated towel rack and was spacious for a hotel bathroom.

The breakfast was basic and help yourself: croissants prepacked in individual plastic wrappings pre-bought and pre-cooked - so not fresh. There was a selection of individual cereal boxes from kids favourites to museli. Also juice, fresh fruit and yogurts. The staff would take your order for any hot food & drinks including toast. Cooked breakfast items like egg, bacon etc is not included in the price but available to add to your room bill. By the end of our stay the ladies there knew our hot food & drink orders and would prepare it when they saw as walk past their kitchen window, ready for when we sat down.

There is adequate parking on site for your car, we even had parking right outside our room which was very convenient!

The only criticism I had was that the cereal bowls and cups were sometimes dirty at breakfast. However we just sorted through until we found one that wasn't.

There was a gym available to use as this is also a leisure centre, sometimes you can hear the classes from the car park, but we didn't have time to use this facility.

Overall this was a lovely hotel and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We booked three nights at this hotel through Late Rooms.com as a base for a trip to Alton Towers. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Stoke or visiting Alton Towers.

The rooms are spacious, well decorated and well equiped. All rooms now have free wireless access. Although we didn't get to use the gym we looked around it and it is well equipped. We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel and the food was lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Alton Towers is about 30 - 35 minutes from this hotel. We travelled from the Toll Gate to the Water Park for about 4pm Friday afternoon, to the park itself for 9:15 on Saturday and about 10:15 on Sunday. Apart from a wait at a level crossing on the Friday evening we experienced no congestion at all between the hotel and the Park and vice versa.

We will definitely return again in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed at the Tollgate Hotel for one night during a trip to Staffordshire with friends. The hotel was conveniently located and provided a great quality room with friendly staff. Food was excellent as were the gym facilities.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Lichfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My family and stayed at the Tollgate last weekend as we were visiting Alton Towers. Tollgate was recommended to us by a friend who stays there regularly on business.
On arrival we received a very friendly, warm reception and throughout our brief stay the staff were always very helpful and polite. Apparently this is a family-run business and you can tell because the atmosphere was definitely comfortable and sociable.
Our family room was well-priced and well-equipped and although we did not have an evening meal here the Sunday breakfast was excellent.
We liked the personal touch of the place and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Booked a twin room for myself and a friend who were visiting Stoke-on-Trent to attend a wedding. After a long drive up from Truro we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who checked us in. Our twin room was spacious comfortable and clean with an excellent view overlooking the local cricket ground. Had a relaxing and pleasant evening meal in the hotel restaurant before Adrian (the manager) ordered us a taxi to take us to the local casino.

Breakfast was filling and was served by friendly staff. Thank you for making our stay in Stoke a good one. Much appreciated!

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the cricket ground if cricket is your thing.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Mount Tamborine, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Dear Adrian,Lyn,geoff and Gwen,

After staying at The Tollgate Hotel yet again,(this must be nearly20 visits!) can I yet again thank you most sincerely for making my visits to UK, and Staffordshire in particular,an all-round success!

Both yourselves and the wonderful Staff you have there never fail to make me feel that I am the only Guest in- house. How you managed to do that this time, yet again, when you had 3 conferences in house, plus a full Resturant day and night, I really dont know, but thanks for finding me just that one room!!
The welcome starts with Lisa and Sarah on Reception,continues through from Margaret in Housekeeping,from Val and Kayleigh at Breakfast,Lee and Mike who handle every request as if they have only you in mind for the day,Richard who makes sure his cuisine suits your tastebuds, and of course yourselves who never fail to smile that particular "Welcome,what can I do for you".You even book my hire car for me-how good is that?

Travelling from Australia feels a long,long way sometimes, but when I see your gorgeous welcomes, its like meeting family members every time.This is a major factor in my being able to get down to business straight away...I wonder if you realise that?
So THANKYOU!THANKYOU!THANKYOU!..I wouldnt come to Stoke if I couldn't stay at The Tollgate, and I mean that sincerely.....I'd just wait till you had a spare room!!!

Please give my best wishes to all, and I'll see you in September.

Warmest regards

Judy Gater
Eagle Heights
Queensland
Australia

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Tollgate Hotel & Leisure? Share your experiences!