“Great Pub” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Excellent home cooked food, fantastic service and a great pint. Making you very welcome. Recommended.

“Great local pub for food & drink.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This pub isn't my local but I do always choose to come here over many others that I could choose from.

The food is always freshly cooked and the owner himself does the cooking ... Which he does an excellent job of. The menu is well put together and the food is tasty and good value.

The drinks are also competitively priced and there is a good selection of guest ales aswell as other beers on tap.

The staff are always very welcoming and enjoy people coming to the pub ... You don't have to be a local to come and eat or drink at the White Hart.

Many Thanks

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
england
“A gem of a pub in the " hart" of Tean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We have been using the "Hart" for the last six months, this pub is a traditional family run establishment offering excellent value for money food and real ales.

A warm welcome is guaranteed for all, whether a regular or a one off visitor and live entertainment combined with a great atmosphere genuinely results in a great night out.

Thanks to all at The "Hart"

Visited April 2014
Andrew D, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thanks for your warm comments, it's nice to know that all our hard work is paying off :)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stopped off here on way home from Lake District trip (found via this app). Sunday lunch menu was very limited (3 mains in total), but that optimistically made me think they'd be good. But they weren't! Veggie option was a tart, which was served cold! and somewhat stale/dry, with some veg cooked/reheated to oblivion. Served with gravy (on a cheese tart!?). Soups where edible, and beer was quite good. We'll find somewhere else for stop off next time.

Andrew D, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
We are very sorry and very surprised to see your comments. We are a small traditional village pub – so on Sundays we offer a ‘traditional Sunday menu’ which consists of 3 traditional roasts and 3 vegetarian options. It is a reduced menu compared to the rest of the week.
Both soups were vegetarian varieties and homemade as are all of our soups. Not packets or tins.
For the mains you ordered 2 leek stilton and mushroom tarts. I am reliably informed that you were given the option of hot or cold tart. You chose cold. At this point – we assumed that you were possibly vegetarians. So – I especially made you a jug of vegetarian gravy – which was for your vegetables.

As for your comments about the tart being stale and dry – I can assure you it was freshly made on Saturday evening in readiness for Sunday lunchtime by myself. It was most definitely not stale as you claim. I can only assume your palate is not used to fresh and quality ingredients such as cream, stilton, fresh vegetables and so on. The vegetables which accompanied your main course were potatoes, roasted potatoes carrots parsnips and green beans. All of which were fresh vegetables prepared by myself.

It seems strange to me that when the waitress asked you if all was well with your meal – you replied yes. I must point out – that if anyone is unhappy with their meal – we are always happy to replace it or refund it if we are made aware of any problem. But if you leave without saying about something which hasn’t pleased you – there’s not a lot we can do is there?

You then went on to eat all of the food you have just slated, leaving nothing for us to throw away.

It’s a shame that you chose to wield the keyboard instead of straightforward dialogue but I suppose that’s the nature of today’s society, no one knows how to communicate properly.
England
“Friendly locals, nice put but poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

This is quite a nice local pub and the local people were very friendly. However the same could not be said about the staff on this visit. It took a long wait to order food and drinks and then they got the drinks mixed up. No apology for such a long wait, in fact they were totally unaware of it. Food was okay but not particularly generous portions and as I have said quite small in size. I think with a little more focus on customer service it could be so much better. I think the landlord does the cooking so is probably not that aware of front of house service.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Andrew D, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
I know this is the same response as to Tony B, but I am assuming that you were together on this occasion. I'm sorry to hear of your experience. May I ask which night that you came in? I had a trainee on the bar on the Thursday and Saturday who didn't work out but I wasn't made aware of any major problems. Why did you not ask to see me? This would have been resolved at that point quite easily.

Small portions? What did you order? I am a chubby character and give people portions that I am happy about. When I came out of the kitchen and into the bar I had nothing but praise. I've never been accused of small portions before, quotes from Saturday evening were that I was overfacing people.

Next time you visit please ask to see me first and on our menus we ask that people tell us if there is a problem.