“How do they stay afloat?” 4 of 5 stars

Plough Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Campbell Rd, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 4EN, England   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Cambridge, Maryland
“How do they stay afloat?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I can't understand how this place can survive, it is so cheap! Room clean and tidy, water lovely and warm, plenty of heating. A little niosy with the road so close and a lorry depo (?) next door and decor a little dated but for £35 a night, what do you expect??

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

After reading some of these reviews after booking a room here I admit I was worried, but... this turned out to be unfounded. Arrived to be greeted in a friendly manner by the receptionist. She directed me to my room which was tidy and clean. Everything worked just fine in the room, shower/TV etc, the room was made up nicely and breakfast the next day was hearty. Overall have to say that this was a good experience. I think the staff must be paying attention to the reviews and making an effort, 4 stars.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
KEnt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have just got home from my weekend away to Alton Towers (2 nights at the plough) We had booked through laterooms.com to stay at the sister hotel "The crown" upon arrival to the crown (after a 4-5 hour journey from Kent) It appeared only 1 room for our group of 4 had been booked and they didnt have a room they could give us....was majorly annoyed. The receptionist phoned through to the plough speaking to the manager & a receptionist who said they would honor the price and give us 2 rooms there....and to be honest we were not happy, we left the crown with a full intention of arriving at the plough to demand our money back...however.....

When we arrived at The plough, the receptionist was ever so friendly and appologetic (although it wasnt her fault) .... We checked in and i cheekily asked for complimentary drinks, for our trouble, the receptionist directed me to the manager, he was ever so lovely and said yes he would sort something, when we went through to the restaurant (which was beautifully laid out) he re-directed us to the bar and introduced us to the barman (Andre) and told him we were to each have a drink on the house (but not champagne - understandbly) We then ordered our dinner i ordered a chicken burger and got a cajun chicken burger I DONT LIKE CAJUN...the chef came to check our meals were okay, i explained how it wasnt he then went off made me another burger and told me im not to pay for my dinner he would...and he did!! Top notch!!

Our rooms were absolutely lovely and very clean, i have absolutely no complaints about the room. Running hot water clean bedding & towels and tea and coffee (do not need anything else)

I would highly recommend this motel, and will be returning next year. If i had anything to complain about it would be that Chilli Con Carne was unavaliable on my 2nd night there....but honestly who cares....that happen everywhere!!

Room Tip: Highly recommended....short drive to Alton Towers.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Oh, god... where to start!

Arrived at The Plough at about 6.30pm on a Saturday night. 4 of us were on a hen weekend at Alton Towers and were staying overnight in Stoke, about 20 miles west of the resort.
All we needed from this place was a hot meal and a comfy bed. Not sure we got either!!

We had 2 twin rooms, which on first inspection, were basic, but seemed clean.
After testing the comfort factor of the beds, we decided that a good nights sleep might be out of the question! One of the beds was so badly dipped in the middle, it seriously looked like a bath tub! The walls were very thin too... we could hear the TV and voices from the next room.

The bathroom was ok, but the toilet took about 7 or 8 minutes to re-fill after flushing and was quite noisy. From the sputtering taps, I am going to assume the rooms are rarely used! It took about 5-10 seconds for the water to come out!!

We dropped our bags and went to the restaurant. It was totally empty - we were the only table in the whole place!
We ordered our drinks and it literally took 20-30 mins for us all to receive them. And we told them at least twice we were still waiting. And it was only a glass of water! How difficult is it to turn the tap and bring it over?!

We finally ordered our food - after being told that 60% of it was unavailable - but to their credit, it was nice. They did serve us with still-frozen battered mushrooms though... (they appologised and took them of our bill.)

There was one waiter that was very attentive though - he took over from the first guy, who was rubbish - he was the one who finally bought over the water, replaced our frozen mushrooms and even bought us extra blankets and pillows to the rooms (as us southerners couldn't take the harsh Northern cold!!)

Needless to say, we didn't stay for breakfast the next morning. We were up and out by 7.45am.

We wouldn't stay at The Plough again when visiting Alton Towers, there are closer B&Bs that although we'd probably pay a bit more, would suit us better!

STAY HERE AT YOUR OWN PERIL!! (Not the worst place I've stayed, but it's bloody close!)

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel!
Dumfries, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

hi there i stayed at this hotel on the 15th of september 2012 and i was absolutley horrified!. i am a cleaner and i no the standards that need to be maintained at a hotel/motel.the first room (room 51) hadnt been. the toilet was blocked with what i can only describe as old urine and poo and toilet roll and when i flushed it it over flowed everywere and stank to high heaven! then when i complained i got moved to another room (room 52) again not cleaned as i checked the bedding and there was hairs all over the bed and not just the odd one but massive clumps of hair on the pillows duvet and sheets. so again back to reception to complain. I spoke to the manager Andrew and i asked him 'what is your excuse for not cleaning these rooms?' he said and i quote ' The rooms havnt been cleaned simply because it is an old building and it is a budget mote.' i was horrified at this response and the worst thing is he meant every word he said. and i have 3 other people to quote me on this as i phoned my fiancee and him and his friends listened to it all on loud speaker. any way after this the manager did say if i wait 2 minutes he will come up and clean the room his self for me. (this was at 11.15 pm). so back up to wait ouside my room i went , 15 mins later he was still a no show untill i saw him leave the hotel and get in to his car and drive away. so again i was totally let down by the staff. so back to reception i went and spoke to the receptionist who had been left in charge of the motel bar and restaurant. she did offer to change the bedding but i may take her a while to get to us and appologised sincerely for the managers behaviour and attitude towards us and she was also shocked at the comment he had made as to why the rooms havnt been cleand and said that it too was unaceptable. in the end i ended up changing the bedding myself which i shouldnt have to do as i have paid as a guest i havnt paid to stay there and clean. when i removed the duvet cover there was a manky dirty crusty cleaning cloth stuck to the duvet and it must have been there for a while to be as manky as that. and that was the icing on the cake for us. also the mattresses where horrid and you could feel every spring and even the wood under the mattress . the breakfast was awfull and had yellow grease all over the food which also means they never change the oil that they fry everything in. it consisted of a sausage. 1 slice of toast, a very graeasy dirty looking egg, about 50 beans a burnt tomato and bacon that was to be honest just fat ! also the hotel refused to move us to a better hotel and refused to give us our money back. who ever owns and runs this hotel should be ashamed and the standard that is maintianed there and it should be shut down for health reasons. also the manager that i dealt with shouldnt be working there as he was useless and clueless and had no idea what to do the only person that had an inkling of what to do was the receptionist who i thank for being honest and decent, everyone else should be ashamed of themselves for the service they have provided and i will be persuing the matter futher.

Room Tip: just dont stay here for your own health and saftey.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was the most awful place i have ever been too. Firstly i was not even a guest but had travelled up to drop some clothes off to my partner who was working in the area. My partner works long weeks away from home and i travelled up to stoke to drop stuff off. I arrived at my partners work he gave me the key to his room then i drove to the plough and entered his room and began to put his clothes away. After ten minuites the housekeeper knocked on the door telling me i had to leave. I kindly explained what i was doing there and was discusted with the response. She informed me that i shouldnt be in there and that the room was not booked for anymore nights. When there was another week left booked! She then said that if i didnt remove all his stuff then she would be removing the stuff herself. I explained repeatedly that my partners employer had paid for another week but the woman objected. To save my partners belongings being thrown onto the street i paid for another room and moved his belongings to another room. This room was even worse. The kettle and hairdryer did not work the hot tap in the bath did not work either. Aside from this the woman charged us both to stay in the room even tho i wasnt staying and charged my partners employer for the other room we got asked to move from for another night! He has complained repeatedly asking for refunds to be told that the area manager who never is avaliable will sort it out. Other than this hassle the hotel is noisy and dirty Stay well clear!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I stayed for 1 night on business. I stay in a lot of hotels booked through my employer ( who i will be telling about this). When I arrived, i wanted to turn around and find another hotel but couldn't as it had already been paid for.
I took the quilt off the bed as it was dirty and slept with my clothes on. The mattress had hard springs which made it a terrible nights sleep. Fortunately I looked in the kettle before I made a cup of coffee, I cannot describe what it was like, it still makes me feel sick now. I ate in the restaurant, it was a joke for the price.
Outside the rooms there is litter everywhere.
Please don't stay here, I wish I had read the reviews before I came. I stayed at the Weather Vane in Meir, not far away, a much better hotel and same price. i wish I had had a camera to take some pictures.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Plough Motel? Share your experiences!