“Can't believe we've not dined there before!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Can't believe we've not dined there before!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had a lovely meal at the White Star today. We had actually been shopping in Hanley and as there does not seem to be anywhere half decent to eat there, my husband (who is a big fan of Titanic ale) asked if we could drive in to Stoke and try the food at the White Star. I am so glad that we did, and we will be returning for sure.

I had the steak and ale pie, which was just packed with chunks of beef and my husband had the chilli. We were both suitably impressed with the food. The home-made chips were gorgeous. If we had to be picky, and this is purely a matter of preference, we did not like having the food served separately on rectangular plates. It looked all very chef-fy, for want of a better word, and like something that would be served up on the Great British Menu food show, but it was just not for us. I like to be able to have a little bit of everything on my fork and the food served in this manner made it more difficult to eat that way.

The rest of the menu sounded just what we would go for and I can't wait to go back and try the other flavour pies. As it was a dinnertime we did not have a pudding either, something which I aim to rectify next time by going in the evening.

The pub was lovely and clean. The service was great, but then the pub was not busy so there was no reason for it not to have been. My husband went home with a supply of titanic beer take-outs, so he was happy.

The only let-down, the ladies' toilets could do with a massive spruce up.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Lovely homemade food - we will return :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We walked past the White Star and were drawn in by the lovely row of tables and chairs outside and we spied the menu was not part of any chain so we knew we would be getting homecooked food!

We walked in and welcomed by the barman. We were pleasantly surprised at the decor and cleanliness of the pub.

We ordered some food, my partner had the double chilli burger and I had the Meat and Potato pie with vegetables and hand cut chips. We weren't waiting long for food and the barman walked over to us to apologise for the wait, he also explained that the White Star cook everything from scratch - we loved the service and we weren't even aware we waited that long!

The meals are well presented and really modern. We each had elongated plates and individual bowls and plates for the chips, salad and vegetables. I loved the idea of presenting it in this way. My pie was delicious and the vegetables were fresh. We both gorged our way through the chips - best chips I've had! My partner loved his chilli burger, he also commented on the freshness and was impressed with the size (two 10oz burgers!)

The barman returned and asked if we liked a dessert by this point we were way too full but we thoroughly enjoyed it!!

We will be returning!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey UK
“Great Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We visited this pub a few times when in Stoke in July. The food was good, large portions and much cheaper than in the South of England. Staff were very accommodating and friendly. If we are ever back that way, will definitely go again...Thanks Robert for making our evenings relaxing and fun

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Luton, United Kingdom
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Good, lively, friendly pub with a warm welcome and choice of 10 real ales all reasonably priced. The food is typical pub grub, well presented and value for money. I can recommend the rum and raisin bread and butter pudding.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Real ale in a clean civilised environment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Not a bad pub really. Not as good as the Glebe but better than the rest. The food is ok, nothing to shout about. Great choice of real ales but other drinks are very expensive. Stowford press is £3-80 a pint here and it's £3-00 in the Glebe. I would normally have 5 pints so an extra £4-00 seems a rip off. It's even cheaper in Wetherspoons at £2-19. This pub was great when Pam had it and I think it's lost it's mojo a bit with the new people so I'd say there is room for improvement. One or two of the staff are rude and miserable at times too which is totally unacceptable. Having said all that, the other pubs in Stoke (except the fantastic Glebe) are not my bag at all and some of hell holes !! I would recommend this for a real ale though and it's not far from the railway station and right next to a big car park.

• Visited February 2013