“Outstanding service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of North Stafford Hotel

You added North Stafford Hotel to your Saves list
North Stafford Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station Rd | Winton Square, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 2AE, England   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Outstanding service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I booked the bridal suite at this hotel for our wedding on Dec 11 2010, and from the very beginning the staff were bending over backwards to help me.

Originally I had three rooms booked, one for my wife and I, and two others for guests. At 9pm on the day of our wedding the plans were changed, so I called the hotel expecting to get told I had to pay x amount because of the last minute change - not a chance. The receptionist simply said, "That's not a problem", and within minutes I had a room booked at the same rate I had with my other guests.

Despite the check-in time being 2pm, I informed them my parents were coming up from London and immediatly they arranged for the room to be available from Noon.

When it came to me setting the room up for my wife, again, the hotel staff were more than willing to accomodate my requests, which included hiding flowers for me until I was ready to place them in the room.

By 8pm, with the help of two staff members, the lighting was set, champers chilled, and 24 roses were placed upon the bed. I headed back to our wedding reception, and enjoyed the rest of the night knowing that the room was ready for my new bride.

Upon leaving the reception at 4:30am, I called the hotel, and when we got there someone was waiting to open the door for us.

The staff are nothing short of helpful and curtious in every way possilbe.

Can I just add that once they realised that I was attempting to pull off a wonderful end to our wedding day on an extremely limited budget, the hotel also offered me a 20% discount too!

Fantastic hotel and wonderful staff who helped me make the end of our wedding day a wonderful surpise for my wife.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

we stayed here 1 night on fri 19th Feb 2011 we got a deal 1 night evening meal bed breakfast 1hour free bar the room was a deluxe but wasnt but for a 1 night stay it was clean the bathroom was spotless bed very comfortable furniture bit dated as was the tv but I didnt go to look at a tv and furniture the free bar was all it said we had 3 drinks each so we were quids in straight away only complaint bar area was cold then the evening meal was a buffet type really nice 3 course and if you wanted more you could have which my husband did then the breakfast was again buffet from cereal to fruit to a full cooked english plenty hot tea fresh juice well worth it staff friendly not pushy if the deal comes again we will definetly go back

Sutton Coldfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We had booked a 2 night offer - not the Valentines offer I might add, but ours was probably a bit cheaper. However the offer did come with a complimentary upgrade to a superior room and free house drinks between the hours of 6pm - 7pm. We arrived at the hotel at the same time as a wedding party, well it might have been a wedding party, it could have been a fancy dress party from what we saw (but thats another story !). The receptionist gave us our key and we went up to the top floor, to see our 'superior room'. We thought she had made a mistake, the room was tiny with a little double bed, not the king or queen sized bed you would expect in a superior room. The window was about 3ft square in our room and overlooked a wall.

We went back downstairs to query the room, stopping on the way to ask a cleaner there if she thought our room was a superior one, when we told her the room number, she said that is a very small room. The receptionist said it WAS a superior room and there were no more available because of the 'wedding' party and all were booked out. So we grudgingly went back upstairs - it was a break from the norm anyhow so we were determined to make the best of it. The room was freezing cold and my partner tried to move the thermastat to up the heating, he couldnt, it had been made to stop on a low setting! The bathroom heated towel rail was not plumbed in so the bathroom had no heating either. The remote control had no batteries which peeved my partner as he usually has the remote stuck in his hand all night and found it difficult to keep getting up off the bed to scan channels.

At 6pm we went downstairs to get our free drinks. It was bedlam, the queue for the bar was about a 15 - 20 minute wait. There were wedding people in our queue as well as others who had paid the same deal as us. We managed to get one drink and went to reception to try the other bar there. There wasnt much of a queue so I waited, 5 minutes later I was told we couldnt have our free drinks there as it was for the wedding guests only. So we headed back to reception where another couple were complaining about the same size of queue as us. The receptionist changed our free drinks time to 8pm - 9pm which suited us.

The meal in the large freezing cold ball room was OK, it was buffet style. The only potatoe available tho was a jacket or a chip!

There is absolutely no where to go around this hotel, the town is dead. We did spend some delightful hours in the Trentham Estate, lovely gardens and shopping village and a huge garden centre.

The next day thankfully a large group of people had gone home, including the wedding party so the queue at the bar wasnt as bad. We spoke to another couple who had booked the Valentine wk end, this was their first night. They told us they had a massive room facing the front of the hotel with a big queen sized bed. We were well miffed as it was the type of room we had been expecting for ourselves. If our offer was an automatic upgrade why didnt we have the same type of room, there wasnt much difference between what they paid for their Valentines wk end to what we paid on our offer, but we do feel as though those paying the higher rates got the better rooms.

The place does need a revamp. OK its a stunning building from the outside, but inside isnt well kept at all. We didnt think our room was particularly clean, the TV was covered in dust, the ceiling had cob webs in all the corners. I think our room is probably only let out when the hotel is full, otherwise surely the cleaners would have seen the dusted before hand. Neither of us got a good nights sleep in such a tiny bed and small quilt.

I noticed today the offer is back on, there is no way I would want to go back to this hotel, not unless it has a significant upgrade.

Hessle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I do believe some people need to take a check on reality. The hotel definitely needs some tender loving care lavished on it but we had a two night stay with National Holidays and we knew for the price we paid not to expect The Ritz .
Staff were friendly the food was varied and good whilst the location for our tour which took in Chester and the Peaks was spot on. We had three free hours in the bar on each evening of our stay and whilst there appeared to be some confusion as to who was entitled to what and for how long we had sufficient for our parties needs.
The rooms in particular need a bit of attention decoration wise and I would certainly not employ the person or persons who had grouted our bathroom. The bathroom itself was clean as where the towels and the bed linen. The TV did have a limited number of channels but we found them totally adequate for our needs.
All in all for the price we paid totally happy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

me and my partner wanted to stay in a local hotel for Valentines day, and thought seeing as this hotel in stoke was just around the corner that we would try it out. it looks beautiful on the website and i was very excited to get a lovely romantic evening with my partner.
as we arrived, the receptionist asked us if we wanted a non-smoking or smoking room, when on the booking we specifically asked for a non smoking room. she picked a room at random and shoved us a key. we went up to our room to find that it looked nothing as it showed on the website and there was mould growing in the corners of the bathroom, equipt with dirty extra blankets in the wardrobe. there was no indiciation of where the "complimentry toiletrys" were, not that this is a problem but when they are hid behind a curtain you do ask yourself why??
being valentines day, i dressed up and so did my partner. as we walked into dinner i felt immediately ridiculous to see that the place wasn't even done up for valentines day, there was all of 3 couples in the restaurant and the waiter had that much of an attitude problem that he huffed when i questioned him putting us on a table of 6 when there was two of us and about 20 available tables of 2. not to mention that any "valentines" couples had there names printed on paper on the table with a candle stick, and ours didn't. i felt unwanted, annoyed by the unprofessional service, and started taking pictures of holes in the wall, paint brush marks where it shouldn't have been, dirt and general unkeptness.
We never got offered our complimentary bottle of wine, only when we persisted, the receptionist was no help when i tried to ask her for help, and we found the whole night ruined.
i defiantly feel that this place could be beautiful and welcoming, with a general vintage feel if it wasn't so poorly run and cleaned.
I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or even anyone i didn't like.
p.s we have just found a bite on my boyfriends arm aswell. brilliant.

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

Not sure where to start ... this hotel's exterior belies the interior which is old, in desperate need of a refurb, and feels like it is beyond redemption. The carpets are grotty, wallpaper peeling, bathroom stained and chipped, remote control sticky, spare blankets dirty, curtains ill fitting and dusty, nets filthy, TV old with poor choice of channels and reception, wiring all over the place and exposed pipework all harbouring dust and worse. I would not have been surprised to see a
mouse. My advice? Find a cheap budget hotel and get a cab to the station.

• Stayed February 2011
Bognor Regis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

I managed to get a weekend deal that offered a room upgrade, breakfast, dinner and one hours free drinks all in the price. Very nice! The hotel is opposite Stoke train station, which is excellent. The staff are friendly and accommodating, the food was varied and good quality and the one hours free bar was a nice bonus! Unfortunately our room, a Superior Room was on the top floor and felt more of an attic room that smelt of stale cigarettes - there was an ashtray in the room for some reason! The unfortunately old windows looked directly another building and the paper was beginning to peel off the walls as the plaster appeared to be blowing. Hotel could do with redecoration and maybe some structural alteration, e.g. cracked plaster and tired magnolia walls. For the price I paid, it was good value and I will recommend. If I'd pay full normal price, I wouldn't.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!