“Dirty, Unimpressed on first sight!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of North Stafford Hotel

You added North Stafford Hotel to your Saves list
North Stafford Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station Rd | Winton Square, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 2AE, England   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
UK
“Dirty, Unimpressed on first sight!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

Went there for weekend at Alton Towers Trip...apparently it says on the site 20 minute drive to Alton Towers, well it took us on both days with no traffic 40-45 minutes.

Room, first sight, Door was smashed in near the lock and painted over.
Chain for the door hanging off the wall, only 1 screw holding it up (probably due to the door being smashed in!) (felt really secure(!))
Net Curtain, Filthy brown in colour due to not being washed in months! didnt want to touch it but had to to open the window to let some air in.
Plug sockets. the trouser press socket i had to keep the plug plugged in with my foot/hands while pressing my trousers otherwise it wouldn't stay on.

The last morning I had there the breakfast room was a mess, used cutlery and plates all over the tables, none was being cleared up I had to ask the waiter for a knife and fork and go and sit on a dirty table filled with other peoples used breakfast cutlery etc and eat with that surrounding me, i didnt even have a clean cup for a cup of tea/coffee.

Other than that for the price it was ok.
I would recomment this to a friend for the price, not for cleanliness, just for price and the kind of near to Alton Towers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

I dont know where the other people in these reviews stayed but when we stayed there it was absolutely filthy. The net curtains were filthy and torn, there was a dirty sock under my bed, the heating did not work, there was a full dirty ashtray on the table and the bathroom stank of dettol , as if someone had been ill. I have written to the Manager, and also Britannia Hotels to complain, I had my 85 year old father with me and he was struggling to cope with things as it was. I had no reply from either the Manager or Brittania Hotels and I am surprised this place is still open, it is indeed a health hazard.

• Stayed January 2009
devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

My father and I went to Stoke on Trent to visit the potteries and museums. My father collects Staffordshire figures, I collect Art Deco 'pots' - especially Susie Cooper & Clarice Cliff. We chose this hotel as it is opposite the train station & consequently would be easy to get taxis & buses to wherever we wanted to go. We paid £127 for 2 rooms, 3 nights B&B.

The hotel has an air of faded grandeur. It needs a complete re-fit as the decor & furniture is rather tired &, in some cases, only fit for a skip.

However, it would be a crime to get rid of the wonderful Art Nouveau tiles going down the stairs from the reception area to the gent's loo! My father said that they went all the way along the corridor at the bottom of the stairs & were really spectacular. Unfortunately, as the stairs only led to the gent's I couldn't witness them myself as I wouldn't have had an excuse to be down there! LOL!

My room was large with an extremely comfortable bed, crisp white bed linen, ok sized bathroom and a lovely powerful hot shower - which is more than I can say for many more expensive hotels that I've stayed in!

My father's room was smaller with an unspectacular view of the roof (but then, someone has to have that view!) the compensation was the huge bathroom. However, I wonder how comfortable the bathroom would be in the winter as it was only heated by a towel rail &, as I say, it was huge!

Both rooms had seen better days.

The curtains in my room were of good quality, but the fabric had worn & had frayed areas, large holes & were generally very shabby. The curtains in my father's room were not good at all & seemed to be backed with a kind of plastic material. The trouser press in my room wasn't working, but I wasn't bothered about this.

Both rooms were adequately furnished, but as they were double rooms, could have done with more drawer space if they were to accommodate two people spending more than a couple of days there. But then, the clientelle seemed to be mostly business people only spending the odd night there, so was probably adequate for their client group.

Towels were changed daily as was the soap & shampoo/shower gel supplied by the hotel. As an ex-hotel manager I thought this was a somewhat wasteful & avoidable expense. However, as a guest I didn't mind at all! LOL!

I accidentally dripped some tea onto my duvet (not enough to wet it, but enough to make a mark) & I was pleased to notice that the cover was changed the next morning.

There was a thick layer of dust in parts of my room - the holder for the hairdryer, the top of the trouser press, top of mirror, under the bed etc. But then, I used to manage hotels & look out for all these things.

Also the hotel information pack in my room was grubby, stained, well thumbed & needed to be replaced. There was no information in the room about breakfast times etc or the kind of local information that you would normally expect to find in the rooms such as information about local tourist attractions etc.

I was pleased to find both bathrooms were spotless, though when I arrived there was only one loo roll in my bathroom that was very close to the end of it's roll. In the morning I hid it in a drawer & the cleaners, when they noticed there was no loo roll at all, supplied 2 new rolls. However, if I'd been staying with my husband, there would not have been enough on the original roll to get us through the first night.

I was rather concerned that there were no obvious instructions in the rooms for evacuation in the event of a fire. You would normally expect these to be on the back of the doors. It's been a while, but I was under the impression that this was a statutory obligation, but I may be wrong. I made my Father practice walking to the nearest fire door & we made our own arrangements of where we should meet. Management please note as this is a point that inspectors will pick up on.

Now we move on to the food.

Oh dear!!

The breakfast is self service. One 4 slice-toaster for all guests so you have a choice between waiting for the toaster to become free, putting your bread in with everyone else's & guessing when it will be done & remembering which piece was yours as you can't be sure your fellow guest will have clean hands & don't want to eat toast that they touched or not having toast at all (which is the one I chose). Management, if you read this, please take note - this is another important point that environmental services may pick up on.

Every morning the fried eggs were dry & inedible (no surprise there, it doesn't take a Michelin star chef to know that fried eggs deteriorate quickly!) I had to ask for fresh to be provided. Admittedly there was never a problem about this & fresh eggs were produced quickly & without trouble, but it's a pain to have to ask & to wait for them to arrive. Luckily I prefer my bacon & hash browns to be dry & overcooked or I'd have had to ask for fresh bacon each morning as well!

I'd also like to see tea & coffee pots provided to avoid having to get up from the table each time you want another cup. Hot water was provided in thermos flask-type containers, but this never makes a decent cup of tea - you need it to be boiling. Then again, I do need an awful lot of tea in the morning - probably more than the average person!

Again, with my hotel manager's head, I felt this serve yourself breakfast was very wasteful in terms of food that needed to the thrown out as it had gone past it's best.

I liked the free 'Independent' paper that was provided each morning though, it's not one I'd normally read.

We had dinner at the hotel on one evening & would not repeat the experience!!

Admittedly it was cheap (£9.?? for 3 courses), but the food was barely edible. Both meals had been kept warm & had a skin on the sauces, the veg was overcooked & soggy. There was no wine list. The waitress recommended the house wine & when we asked for more information she had to go & ask someone as she knew nothing about it. She seemed to think that white or red was enough information on which to base a choice of wine! Not her fault - bad training.

All staff were cheerful & tried their best to help. I felt that there was a lack of leadership & management & that the staff had largely been left to fend for themselves.

Would I stay there again? Yes, I think that I would. I wouldn't take my husband there for a romantic weekend away, but I'd use it as a base for exploring the area or visiting Alton Towers. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? As I say, not for a special time, but as a cheap base for a short visit, yes I would.

• Stayed April 2009
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

Let me start by stating that we did not stay in this hotel overnight through choice rather that it was booked by the Crown Prosecution Service on behalf of my fiancee who was cited to appear at the Magistrates Court in Stoke on Trent regarding a business matter - Quite frankly the CPS should be prosecuted for making us stay there!

Here's the positives.....

Erm.........

I'm sorry i really can't find anything to be positive about.

The negatives

A Car Park that you would not leave a 20 year old Montego in for fear of it being either vandalised or stolen - No marked spaces, no cctv and the bloody cheek to have a sign saying parking is £7 per day (i would not have paid £7 for the rights to the land let alone to leave my car there 24 hours).

When we arrived reception staff was busy enjoying a private call with "Jack" - Boyfriend i presume however she did finally manage to attend to us. We made our way up the creaky stairs passing the bar (closed and lights off) and along the creaky, musty-smelling 1st floor landing to arrive at our room. Inside the theme continued, the creaky floorboards, the warped floors in general make you feel like you have had a skinful, curtains THICK with months-old fluff and dust, delapedated furniture, a creaky old bed with a paper thin mattress and a rather dodgy-tv which make a constant hissing noise.

In fairness the bathroom was modern and was presentable apart from the heated towel rail with the exposed wires.....

We left our stuff and went out to sample the delights of SOT - That is another story for another day.....

When we came back the smell emitting from the dining room was truely awful and there was not a snowballs chance that we were eating anything in the hotel.

We made our way upstairs and into our creaky bed with the sheets with holes in them and prayed that morning came soon - Thankfully it did and a day in court was most appealing as an alternative to another stay in TSH.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
newport,gwent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

Stayed here on Sunday 19th April,my son were going the next morning to Alton Towers....and yes ,it is in a good position as its opposite the train station(you can go to Alton Towers via a bus service from the sation,but we travelled by car).From the outside it looks a very grand hotel,and i am sure it once was.The staff i must say are very friendly and helpful,but the 'house keeping' is totally non existant.....right the way through the hotel there is like a clean track ,but by the skirting boards it looks like its never been touched.In the room it was worse,the dust and dirt around the room was awful(i was in room 108,if the manager is reading this!).and the curtains....OMG,they were filthy,the layer of dust on them was amazing.Between my bed and the wall there was a thick layer of fluff ,dirt and dust.I am soooooooo far from being a clean freak,but this was so,so bad that i had to write about it.The decor and furniture are also well past it....reminds me of the stuff in my grannys house,the same smell too!(sorry granny....but she has been dead for 20 yrs)
The only plus about this place is that it happens to be 'dirt' cheap(excuse the pun)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
dumfries and galloway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

our first impression of the hotel is that it was beautiful from the exterior also the inside although old fashioned was I thought rather stylish. The room we had was a family room which had only 1 tv and no dvd player also I can say that it is clear that the housekeeping staff are overworked as it wasnt very clean with dust on the window sills and behind the bed etc dirty however I would say they prob have so many rooms to do in such short time. The noise levels was ridiculous my husband had to go and tell the next room to keep it down and that was at midnight and no it wasnt a young person but a family also the following night we had to tell the reception staff about the same room....some manners people!
I would say the hotel needs to do something about there bathrooms that was rather grubby and old also the breakfasts arent up to much, not sure about dinners as we ate out.
Its a real same about the hotel as it was lovely from the exterior and in a great location

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

we stayed here in half term and got a special rate including breakfast. we checked in very quickly and was shown to our room which was huge with a lovely big bathroom. There was a huge kingsize bed, two armchairs and a sofa, plus a foldaway bed for my son. Tea and coffee making facilities were adequete. The restaurant was large and well organised, the hotel bar was nice with a large pool table and they didn't mind my 7 year old being there. Food was really cheap and menu was varied. We drove to alton towers while we were there which was about 20 minutes away and spent the day there, returning to the hotel in the evening. There had been some thefts while we were there and the police were there in the morning but we were ok and our weekend was not ruined by this. Breakfast was lovely, cereals, juice, fruit, hot food, tea and coffee. we thought this hotel was lovely with real character and creaky floors, we would come again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at North Stafford Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Thank you very much for your review. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!