“Stayed here 25th May 2013 worth the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of North Stafford Hotel

You added North Stafford Hotel to your Saves list
North Stafford Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station Rd | Winton Square, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 2AE, England   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Stayed here 25th May 2013 worth the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here Saturday 25th May I booked a room which included dinner and a bottle of wine plus bed & breakfast in the morning. I then read the reviews after booking I was a little apprehensive while traveling down to what awaited but I must say I was pleasantly surprised the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Our room 107 was adequate my only query would of been I would of liked the beds further away from the door but being an old building I let this go. The meal was beautiful the staff were helpful and friendly.
Breakfast was pleasant (my only comment there was not much to choose from the hot selection) I would stay here again

Room Tip: Take into account when staying here this is an old building with lots of creaks
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Lincs, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Booked 3 nights Dinner, Bed and Breakfast (with a bottle of wine) for £55 per night for 2 adults and our son. 20 minutes from alton Towers,which was also fab, with hardly any queuing. Ideal for break away in half term. The hotel is opposite the train station, and would have once been very grand. It is dated, with damp patched on the stairs, evidence of leaks on ceilings etc, but I can't see them having the funds to renovate, when they charge so little to stay. We had paid for a double with a childs camp-bed, but were pleased to see we had been given a large family room, on the second floor. Beds are very comfortable and we slept well. The massive spa-bath in the huge bathroom was wonderful after a day at Alton Towers! No noise from a wedding on the first night. A party of school children arrived at around 9pm on our secound night and were causing a disturbance in the corridor, but a quick call to reception and the manager soon silenced them. The food is fine, especially given what we paid. Breakfasts have a good selection of hot and cold items. Dinner has a lovely soup, couple of cold starters, 3 hot main options, plus sides and some lovely deserts. I honestly don't know how they can do it at works out as £18 per person, per night. In summery, yes its tired, but I've stayed in worse for a lot more money. Friendly, helpful staff, decent food, and excellent value for a cheap family break.

• Stayed May 2013
south wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

stayed here for just one night on our way up north. This is a large hotel which must have been very beautiful in its day. It is situated right opposite the Station and near a lovely park which we visited. Our room was spacious but the furniture was old fashioned. We found the staff friendly with one manager showing us around the hotel and to the beautiful ballroom. We had an evening meal but only something light a jacket potato, which was OK. Breakfast was fine your normal cooked breakfast. As we only stayed one night we did not experience any problems.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Firstly I would like to point out that I am really not fussy when it comes to accommodation. I had read some of the reviews on here, and it didn't bother me to stay somewhere that was a little "Shabby" or "run down", once it had a bed and a shower I would be happy, but this place really is just awful on a whole other scale.

1.) We arrived early, so I asked the clerk (Phil Hammond) if he could let us into our room before the check-in time, understandably he said I would have to wait until 2, which is fine. We came back at 2, at which point he radioed the cleaning staff to ask if the room was ready. Over the walkie-talkie I could hear the reply "It has been ready since 8am". Phil's only reply was "woops". Thanks for that Phil.

2.) We then got to our room it absolutely stank of cigarettes. At no point was I asked if we wanted smoking or non-smoking. This normally wouldn't bother me, but I am trying to quit. Phil then gave us another room.

3.) The bed was a 4'6" bed. Now, we're not the smallest of couples, not the largest either, but this was ridiculous I paid for a superior double, I would hate to see what the standard double is like. So back down to Phil we went.

4.) This third room was massive, it was for disabled access I think and the bed was king size. Everything was going fine until we realised that the shower had no hot water. After two phone calls down to reception and a visit from the manager Greg(who was lovely) they gave us the key to a single room to use the shower in. The shower was fixed by the following evening.

5.)On the Saturday night there was a wedding on downstairs, which was fine, I understand that hotels have weddings etc, my problem was with the children knocking on our door and running away all night. There was also the issue that the fire alarm kept sporadically going off, I rang down to the reception (it was Phil) to ask if it was anything I should be concerned about, he said it was because the wedding function had a smoke machine. What??!!

On a positive note, the breakfast was fine. It is very close to the train station.

So, if you are a skinny, non-smoker who does not need to shower, who isn't fussy and is staying on a night where the hotel doesn't have a wedding on; then this is the place for you!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

we were attending a wedding at this venue, the ceremony was due to take place at 2pm, so we had booked early check in, having driven an hour and a half to get there we were greeted by a rude and not very helpful desk clerk who advised us our rooms were not ready, we advised we had booked specially and we had 40 minutes to get ready, The reception phone then rang and he answered, part of the conversation was "ok i will give mum a ring later" he then resumed advising us we could not check in, at which we asked for a room swap as we were running out of time to get ready, he then said we could have one room we advised we had booked 2 as there were four of us. He then radioed a staff member who then advised we could at last check in. Our room wasn't massive and was not up to the £60 we paid for it which was discounted from £76 as we were part of the wedding party we could not use the TV as the remote had no batteries, the jacuzzi bath didn't work, the bed was damaged and looked like it was stood on blocks. this was an old school hotel that needed updating as the décor and maintainence was a little shabby. we had a good night at the wedding, the food was OK and breakfast was fine, we had travelled a good distance to have a stressful arrival the online brochure makes it look better than what it is, if i was stopping in the area i would find a premier as we would have a better standard of room for less. sorry guys

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Barry, Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stop in hotels around nine months of the year and when we was moving to stoke, I was looking forward to, stopping in the holiday inn. They was fully booked on the weekend so we've had to book this hotel. When we arrived we knew straight away we will be roughing it, reception was good and efficient. Walking up the stairs to my room I saw damp patches and cracks on the walls.I went in to my room and it stunk of fags, the only problem was my window was 10 feet up in the roof. I changed rooms, the next room was very tied and couldn't believe sink was in the room not in the en-suit. The first two night they had wedding parties going off, couldn't believe the music was so loud in my room I was on the second floor!!!!! At about 2:30 I was woken up thinking someone was in my room the walls are so thin You hear everything (so don't come for a romantic night cause everyone can hear) One more thing is I've been here 5 days and the the cleaners haven't change my bedding. They must just walk in change the towels make the bed put tea and milk in the room and that's it. I've read some of the reviews, and yes £29 is cheap But my company paid £57 + breakfast what a joke If you come to stoke Holiday Inn may cost a bit more but it's worth it. when go to a hotel it's awkward for us to move so got to put with this for 7 days. Ps sorry Breakfast is nice

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights. Ok so it’s not the Ritz and it looks a bit tired but the bed was comfortable, the bathroom more than adequate, clean and the drinks in the bar reasonably pieced. If I could find fault, the carpet had seen better days and there was no bin in the room. Didn’t eat in the hotel so couldn’t comment on the food. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!