“A lovely place for a lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 189 restaurants in Stafford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Soup Kitchen, at the top of Church Lane overlooking St Mary’s Church, has been run by the Sandy family for over thirty years. We pride ourselves on our freshly cooked food and are so flattered that folk keep coming back time and time again to visit us. When the weather is fine our roof top garden is always popular and it’s a great place to relax and let life pass you by. From Monday to Saturday we are open for breakfasts, morning coffees, lunches and afternoon teas. Everything is homemade and our team in the bake house work throughout the day turning out delicious pastries, cakes and other delicacies. We offer table and self-service.
Stafford, United Kingdom
“A lovely place for a lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Went here for a quick bite to eat with my girlfriend. I had the lasagne and she had the vegetarian lasagne (how boring I know) and both were very good. Decent price, quick service and a lovely place. The only reason I rated the atmosphere lower was cause we were the only people there and it was a bit echoey but on a busy day i reckon it would be a bit more lively.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
From your previous reviews on here you are obviously a discerning Stafford diner so thanks for coming to try us out! Your kind comments regarding our food, price and service are much appreciated. But there's no need to apologise about grading us down on the atmosphere as you were the only one's eating - as you will see from the review below yours we do get very, very busy! Maybe come and see us again then!
Best wishes to you both from Duncan Sandy - owner

92% Recommend
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Good quality cafe food. Don't be Supprised if they have not got what you ask for from their extensive menu!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We went as a group of 4 adults and 2 babies. Was a Saturday and as such was busy. Seated after a short wait. My only criticism of our visit was that they did not have any of our first selection from the menu nor one of the children's meal selection.

The choices we eventually were served were perfectly acceptable. Service by waiting staff was good.

May visit again soon but perhaps not on a saturday

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hello from The Soup Kitchen and thanks for taking the time to leave this review. I note that you visited us at a very busy time on a Saturday and can only apologise that not everything by then was still available from our menu. However I hope this will not put you off from returning and I look forward to welcoming you here again perhaps. Thanks for the kind comments regarding what you were served and about my staff.
Best wishes, Duncan Sandy - owner
“Great stop for coffee and scone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Endless nookes and crannies to fit everyone in. Coffee and cakes great. Light snacks nice for lunch too. Small things like extra charges for cream/custard on puddings seem a bit much but staff are really accomodating and look after customers.

Visited July 2012
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
I really appreciate you taking the time to leave this review and your comments are noted. We look forward to welcoming you here again some time.
All the best, Duncan Sandy - owner The Soup Kitchen.
Burton, United Kingdom
“Cosy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We visited and had a nice lunch meal. The Tables were a little small and it was quite difficult to get in and out of the pews. Hoever the food was devine and the staff were wonderful. As a couple eating it was nice but i dont think i would take a large group for a meal. Cakes were lovely too :)

Visited January 2012
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us in Church Lane and I really appreciate you taking the time to post this. Your comments regarding the 'devine' food and 'wonderful' staff have made my day and will be certainly passed on to all involved in helping me here.
Regards from Duncan - owner.
Staffordshire
“gorgeous..........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

beautiful and extensive range of food, reasonabely priced, quaint and comfortable, traditional not a chain, friendly welcome............please stay away and leave all the chocoate fudge cake for me!!!!

Visited October 2012
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Such a kind a review and you are not alone in appreciating our home made chocolate fudge cake - do call in advance the next time you intend to come in and I will ensure there is certainly a slice (or two!) left for you!
My best wishes, Duncan Sandy - owner The Soup Kitchen