“Fantastic country pub!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #86 of 112 restaurants in Lichfield
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The pub was originally a clubhouse and the official nineteenth hole for members of the Whittington Heath Golf Club. Today it's a club open to all. A gem of a local pub and restaurant just south of Lichfield, which serves freshly prepared pub-food in a homely and inclusive atmosphere. Sink into our comfy sofas or take in the rolling Staffordshire countryside from our garden with a pint of cask ale or glass of what you fancy from our extensive wine list.
“Fantastic country pub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful pub, with open fires and a real rustic feel. I believe it is currently under new management (which is very much needed) we were given a warm welcome as we arrived on a cold monday evening and the service was attentive and the food perfect. We will definitely be returning!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

36% Recommend
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Pleasant looking pub restaurant, with surprisingly contemporary vibe. Menu a bit more interesting than most pubs, but too much was unavailable.

Still the soup sounded interesting with pork in it, but really did not work all that well. Boiled pork really does not offer much flavour.

The main which was a half chicken in a Mediterranean type sauce was a surprise. Hot, spicy and with real bite. A very nice dish that tickled the taste buds nicely. Sadly chicken a bit dry or rating would have been better.

Service was pleasant enough, but more focus on customer clearly needed. Too many people including myself were left waiting too long and it isn't cheap. £21 for 2 courses and a coke!

Overall then, the kitchen can cook, but needs to deliver more consistently and work is needed front of house to match the rest. Could do better!

Visited November 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Shocking !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I believe that this was the worst service that I have ever experienced in a restaurant. We sat down just before 1:30 onSaturday Lunchtime, the restaurant was fairly empty at this time.
It took 20 minutes for our drinks to arrive, nearly 40 minutes for our order to be taken and then a further 20 minutes for them to come and tell us they had no soup of the day left (which 5 of our party had ordered) . Should have re-named it soup of the hour I think. The poor service continued, in all it was nearly 3pm by the time we received food.
Most of the food was very average and 3 items were really poor.

After many complaints they did knock these three items off the bill along with the bread basket.
They apologised and offered to send some vouchers for future use but I wouldn't return here under any circumstances.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Walsall
“Not as good as it used to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

It has been two years since dining here last and it has gone down hill. Waiter was very attentive and did his best to make the evening a success, but food is average and an almost empty restaurant did nothing for the atmosphere. Place was also cold. Won't be going back in a hurry.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Gone down hill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

New management, new staff..........and you can tell as they haven't a clue. This has always been my favourite restaurant and never had the need to look on tripadvisor because I've always had a lovely meal and when I looked at the reviews after my bad experience I can agree with everyone.

Booked a table 6 weeks in advance for 8.30pm, when I rang to double check they said it was 9pm (no - asked them to change back to 8.30pm). I asked to be seated in a certain area (not the cold dark area) and was told "No Problem at all". Gave my festive menu order in advance....which was lost, so had to tell them again a few days later.

On arrival, our table wasn't ready at 8.30pm and it was wasn't in the area I asked. In fact the area I asked was a large wedding party, so surely staff would have known this was not available. Got our table at 9pm - suprise suprise.

Overall, the food and service was pretty poor and was just really annoyed and embarassed as I had told all my friends what a great place it was and the food was lovely.......how wrong was I. The staff didn't know the menu well as they named things differently which confused us all.

Never going back.....real shame. If your looking for truely great food, try Christophers in Tamworth.

• Visited November 2013