“Good location, average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bird Street, Lichfield WS13 6PR, England   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Lichfield
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

There are few better locations Lichfield and the addition of its own car park to the rear of the hotel coupled with the cheap rates make this an attractive option. As hotels go it delivers on the basics, but is tired and no amount of enthusiasm from the staff can make up for that. The rooms were fine with the exception of the beds which should have been condemned years ago, they are not pocket sprung and not comfortable. In some rooms the heating is questionable. However, the hotel still manages to exude an element of charm and the staff are very cheery. The breakfast was excellent (with the exception of the coffee) but the choice of wines by the glass in the bar was appalling,you would do better in a local pub.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a most enjoyable weekend stay at The George. This was our first time at this hotel and in Lichfield. The best things about this hotel are the friendly, helpful and professional staff. Nothing is too much trouble for them.This includes the receptionists, dining staff, bar staff and cleaners. The hotel is centrally located for restaurants, pubs, bars and close to the shops and cathedral. Once you have parked your car you can walk everywhere. We asked for a room in a quiet location which is exactly what we got. Room 37 is located on the first floor and at the side of the hotel. Rooms at the front face the street and get the noise from people passing by and traffic.If you are a light sleeper request a room in a quiet location on booking. We did not eat in the hotel in the evenings but the breakfasts were very good with wonderful Packington pork sausages. The ladies toilets have been refurbished and are stylish and elegant in pale colours and huge wash basins.
Although homely, parts of the hotel need updating eg anaglypta wallpaper in our bedroom and dated soft furnishings. However, the bedding was fresh and clean cotton and the towels were soft and fluffy.
I would certainly stay at this hotel again when visiting this area. Lichfield is a charming historical town with many period properties and a wealth of eating places and individual shops in the town. I hope to return in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the hotel are quieter if you want a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I had a trip to The Garrick Theatre and decided to stay at the George. I would have been more than happy to recommend this hotel, however when we arrived home I noticed that my husband had left his toiletries bag at the hotel containing a nearly full bottle of expensive eau de toilette, shaving cream etc. I called the hotel who confirmed that they had found it and asked if they would be kind enough to post it to me if I paid the postage. After several more phone calls it arrived, albeit 11 days after my initial call. To my dismay when I looked in the bag everything was there apart from the eau de toilette. I called and spoke to the Manager who said he would speak to housekeeping and get back to me the next day. Once again they failed to contact me and when I called back the Manager said that no one had seen the bottle and there was nothing he could do about it. So if you are thinking of staying at the George make sure there is a safe in the room. It was the sheer arrogance and lack of sympathy expressed by the management that I find upsetting., Needless to say we will sadly not be returning.

Burntwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

At last we have found a venue that can deliver a decent sunday lunch. O.k. so we have to go back to 1970..soup or hors d'ouevres, (egg mayo, pate, potato salad etc) followed by a very good roast lunch with plenty of freshly cooked veg and a decent meaty gravy. Sweets are typical of the decade, icecream, crumble or profiteriles. Who cares? It was flippin' tasty, meat was tender, roasties crispy and tasted of beef dripping and we loved the old style service of bread roll and butter arriving in a basket and coffee and mints in the lounge. Don't change...WE LOVED IT!!!

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I regularly travel and stay in and around Lichfield and Staffs, so I booked into the George for my first time this week. After a recent horrific stay in a London hotel, I was kind of thinking maybe I should go for a chain hotel to be safe?

Well I'm so glad I didn't, the George is warm, friendly, and just like a home from home. Its got loads of character to the inside, the rooms even though very much in keeping with the character of the hotel are clean and not as out of date as some places I have stayed.

The bed was so comfortable, and really clean and fresh bedding, I slept like a log!!

The staff were friendly, the other residents were also very friendly, and breakfast in the morning was really good.

In all this is a great hotel, with a family feel to it, and I will be staying with them again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atherstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My Husband & I booked this hotel via a special deal for an over night stay for two people, with a carvery meal and breakfast as a short break get-away.
Because I have dairy & wheat allergies, it was important that we alert them as we always do so they can have something available for me to eat..espcially as it's a carvery.
The room was old fashioned, but a lovely, clean, quite and airy space for us.
We were more than happy with the facilities.

On arrival, we mentioned my allergies and the receptionist said they were aware and the chef had been allerted. When we went to eat, the waitress said they were aware and they could cater for me.

I had a fruit & melon started, which was specially prepared for me. very pleasent
I then had trout and freshly prepared vegatables.
As the deserts were all puddings and cakes, I decided not to have anything, although they did offer me fruit salad again!
However, the waitress then came out to state that the chef had found some dairy free icecream and would I like to have that.
I was impressed and tucked in... I got to my third scoop, the kitchen staff ran out and asked me to stop eating.
I was mortified, has was my husband who called for the manager straight away.
I started feeling very ill almost immediately and was poorly all night and the next morning.

I have to say that they apologised and offered us reimbursment.

But be mindful of human error!

Room Tip: I do recommend the venue for a more mature guest and as a fab location to explore the beautiful city...
Northamptonshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Parking very good! The Hotel is very geared up for Weddings and we managed to arrive back whilst the introduction of guests was taking place on the stairs, so it is was not possible to get to our room I thought it might be an idea to have been offered a complimentary cup of tea whilst waiting. The vegetables in the restaurant are very limited and overcooked. The hors d'oeuvres very limited selection and two of the pudding were sold out when we placed our order.Whilst we were still eating the staff were busy spraying tables getting ready for the next morning which should have waited.The breakfast was really quite nice especially the sausages.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN George Hotel? Share your experiences!