“Consistently Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
UK
“Consistently Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I have eaten at the Old Spot on several occasions and have never been disappointed.
This time, I was lunching with a friend. As might be expected midweek te restaurant was fairly quiet, but the food, as usual, was excellent - we both had Woodpigeon bruchetta starter, then mackerel for my friend, and chicken for me.
The service was polite and friendly, and the food delicious.

I have seen other reviwers critical of the menu & speed of service. It is correct that the restaurant offers only a prix fixe menu, not a la carte, and there are generally around 4 choices for each course, generally including one vegetarian and one fish option, and the speed of service reflects the fact that each meal is cooked to order- if you want fast food, this is not the place for you!
At £13.50 for 2 courses or £15 for 3 ( excluding drinks) at lunchtime this is excellent value for the quality of food you get and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fine food.

England
“Disgusting And An Obnoxious Owner/Chef”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Stopped by on a trip to Wells and wished we hadn't bothered. Tomato soup starter was extremely salty and full of grease. This inedible gloop was then used as the basis of the sauce for one of the mains we ordered, it was poured over the chicken, and cheap cuts of chicken at that. The pea risotto was also a disgrace - it was absolutely swamped in mozzarella cheese. This all congealed into a thick chewy mess. We asked to speak to the owner who refused to come out as we were informed he was also the chef and was too busy. 3 times we requested he come and discuss our dissatisfaction with the food or we would not pay. He wouldn't come out so we left our name and phone number and asked him to contact us to resolve the matter.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, United Kingdom
“What a pity!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

The Old Spot has always been my favourite place for lunch, reasonable prices, good atmosphere and very carefully cooked delicious food. I don't go there as often as I'd wish as we live over an hour away.
My partner and I lunched there as a treat on the way to our holiday in Devon. My starter of eggs en cocotte were very tasty but the eggs were undercooked which made the dish slightly unappetising and very difficult to eat.
My partner had pork rillette with celeriac remoulade. Both the remoulade and rillette were incredibly salty.
My partner has never complained in a restaurant before, but when asked 'was everything ok' he mentioned that he was unable to finish his food because of the saltiness. I also pointed out the uncooked egg white left in my dish. The waitress said 'oh'.
Our main courses and pudding were fine.
We never had an apology or any attempt to rectify matters, which left us wondering whether the waitress had passed on our comments to the kitchen, or anyone else for that matter? Why ask if everything's ok if you don't want to know when it's not?
We are certainly not awkward customers and it takes a lot for us to complain. We felt a little left down, and sadly, I don't think we'll be eating there again as result.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Never EVER visit Wells without lunching here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

When you have been to Wells as often as we have there is not really much left to see. But on a market day on a Wednesday it is always a sheer delight to repair to the Old Spot for a fabulous lunch.The service has always been great, and the food truly imaginative, and although we have eaten in various Ask restaurants and enjoyed the experience,this is simply not a " fast food " joint and perhaps one reviewer just stumbled into the wrong type of restaurant for their needs.

somerset
“A night to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

My husband took me to The Old Spot for my birthday. It was a quiet evening for the restaurant so it was hard to judge the atmosphere of the place, but I can honestly say the evening was a resounding success. The service was attentive and faultless, the young lady with the red hair and glasses was our waitress for the evening and did herself and the establishment credit. The menu was seasonal and well written and the wine list was well balanced with an excellent selection of wines. The food was superbly cooked and presented and not over complicated, which is very easy for some chefs to do. It was a delight to eat. Both my husband and I would happily recommend The Old Spot to our friends and family. We will return.