“Lovely tea and cake” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 78 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: English
Description: The Bishop's Table is a cafe in the historic City of Wells with a view like no other!Nestled in the grounds of the medieval Bishop's Palace you can enjoy lunch, brunch and some of the best coffee and cake you will ever experience. All with a view of a medieval palace building, croquet lawn (complete with croquet players in summer), ruins of a Great Hall and, for those sitting outside on the sunny terrace, an additional view of our neighbour, Wells Cathedral. The Bishop's Table brings you seasonal menus made from fresh, local produce - we even use fruit and vegetables grown on-site in our thriving Community Garden. Fully licensed you can also enjoy a glass of wine or cider with your food. Open daily, hours vary so please visit The Bishop's Palace website and 'Opening Hours' page. Family friendly, children's portions and highchairs available. Dog bowls available outside the cafe. Dogs welcome in the gardens of The Bishop's Palace but must be kept on a short lead. Free WIFI.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Lovely tea and cake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

A lovely place to sit outside and enjoy the views of the Bishop's Palace with a good cup of tea and delicious slice of cake. It was even better to get a decent amount of tea - two large cups from each tea pot was really good value. The cake was some of the best homemade cake I've had for a while (and I eat a lot of cake). The staff were a little disorganised and slow but the views (and did I mention the cake?!) were worth it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
“Needs to Change”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

On my last visit a year ago I gave an excellent review, this time I was drawn between poor and average, first noticed that not all clean, tables not wiped properly, food was poor with very small portions, and quite expensive. Call me old fashioned however I like my food on proper plates not a piece of wood, standards and food needs to improve. Sorry you were so good last year.

Visited June 2014
Derbyshire
“What a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We have been here before and had a really nice meal on our last visit, so we were really looking forward to lunch today. When I asked what the seasonal salad was, I was told it was feta cheese, apple, carrots, green beans, salad leaves, sounded good. What arrived was a salad of mixed leaves, green beans, new potatoes, olives, tomatoes and the smallest amount of brie type cheese I have ever been served, no apple or carrot. The bread which came with it was good though, glad I ordered it or I would have been left hungry. Would not rush back.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cosmicdiva
“Excellent lunch stop, beautiful surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stopped here for lunch on Bank Holiday Monday. Great sandwich and children's men, excellent value for money. Recommend for anyone visiting the cathedral and bishop's palace area.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
East Sussex
“Review of Cafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I want to make it clear that this review is of the café adjacent to the House (which is beautiful). We visited at 4pm on a beautifully sunny Saturday, and the outside seats have a lovely view of the House and garden. The service however was terrible and the quality of the watery tea we were served was very poor, with chipped and dirty crockery. When we arrived we had to clear our own table of plates and cups, and find a waitress to ask for the table to wiped. Wouldn't return or recommend!