“A very nice surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rajah Restaurant

Rajah Restaurant
5A Queen Street, Wells, England (Formerly Rajah Tandoori)
01749 673978
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London, England, United Kingdom
“A very nice surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised with this little restaurant. It was late at night; the weather was awful, and we had a very grumpy 4 year old with us. The place looked a bit dodgy from the outside, and, essentially, it is a converted residential property. But the somewhat dodgy architecture was forgotten by the friendliness of the people and the quality of the food. No frills, good Indian cuisine. All dishes were very enjoyable.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Old decor but surprising quality of food & excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

To start with yes the outside is a little dated and the stairs up to the restaurant are not the best, however we all have legs so we might as well use them!

Now walking through the entrance I was greeted very well and shown to my seat, the colour scheme was nice and warm. Now, I have been to many Indian restaurants in Bristol, which are fancy on the outside but food is mediocre and personally I think its more about charm then being flash and modern but for me it comes down to food and I wasn't disappointed as i had a chicken tikka bhuna and chicken was chunky, sauce was delicious and overall I was very impressed!

Service was very good, I wasnt rushed or pushed into ordering anything and the whole experience was magical, mainly due to the food to be honest but still the service was efficient and environment grew on me as it was warm and cosy like having a curry at home.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
reading
“Disappointing especially service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

It has been a while since I last eat at this restaurant but I remembered good food and friendly staff, so my hope were high. I fully appreciate that it was a Friday evening just before Christmas but I don't thing that there is ever an excuse for poor attitude/service. The staff had a slightly surly and cold attitude which when you are out dining isn't what you want. Overall the food was good, especially the breads and side dishes, although the tandoori was a disappointment and the dishes generally slightly oily. I wouldn't rush back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bath, United Kingdom
“Appearances can be deceptive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Don't be put off by the entrance to this restaurant. The stairs leading up to it are incredibly steep and when you reach the top it does feel as if you are stepping into someone's lounge, but the service and food are great.

All the usual favourites are on the menu plus a few more unusual dishes. Service is fast, friendly and efficient and the food really flavoursome. Although the Romna in Sadler Street in Wells has a 'smarter' feel, the service here is much more efficient and the food better value.

Definitely worth a visit!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“We had a take away delivered........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We spent the weekend in Wells and had a take away delivered on Saturday evening. Our 2 curries and rice came witinin 30 minutes. Both the person taking the order and the chap delivering were very pleasant.
The chicken pathia was nice enough as was the chilli chicken garlic masala but nothing out of ordinary. What was a surprise though was the lack of garlic and the type of chicken used. Long slim slithers as opposed to nice big chunks.
Perhaps the restaurant served food is better but somehow I doubt it.
Im spoiled by living near Chillis in St Annes Bristol - the benchmark!