“DONT GO” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Lion At Pennard

The Lion At Pennard
You added The Lion At Pennard to your Saves list
The Lion At Pennard
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Glastonbury Road | West Pennard, Glastonbury BA6 8NH, England   |
Ranked #35 of 59 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“DONT GO”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Upon arrival in car park very impressed with the country feel of the place ,, but thats where it stopped ,dark and musty inside unfriendly staff , thou the food was very good just couldnt wait to finish meal and get out of it ,Oh and dont ask for water with your meal , they dont have enough jugs ??????? hope im never invited back there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
kildare
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Lion looks lovely from the outside - typical quaint english pub... step one foot inside and the damp,dank musty smell ... and then it went went downhill ! We met the rudest and most surly waitresses ever - The food itself was good but met with such bad customer service it left a bad taste -

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lincolnshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked with this hotel for 4 nights 5 days before I wanted to arrive, and having rung around an awful lot of other places (I was at an event in Shepton and wanted somewhere near there) and not finding anything expanded my search to places a little further out.

I am so pleased I found the Lion at Pennard. Not only were they helpful with my late notice booking/questions they were friendly and flexible too.

On arrival day, with my schedule changing they were very flexible with 'check in' times which was a great help, and also very flexible with 'check out' times on leaving day too, which was a lovely bonus for me.

The breakfasts were lovely, fresh, home cooked food to order, served quickly and by friendly people. Flexible regarding times, and the one time I had to leave earlier than 'breakfast times' they offered to leave food out/make food for me to take with me which was a lovely thought.

The one lunch I had at the place was also very nice, well sized, home cooked/fresh and quick and over breakfast one morning was chatting to other visitors who were eating in the restaurant in the evening and highly recommended it.

The room was spacious, clean, with everything you would need in it (bathroom only has a bath with a shower attachment to the taps which was absolutely adequate and fine for me but always worth asking before you book if a stand shower is what you need as I don't know if other rooms had them?).

All in all a really lovely homely, friendly place to stay and I would definitely not hesitate to book again, in fact once I have dates fixed I shall be booking again for next year (despite it being a 15 minute drive from where I am located for the event I go to). Definitely worth that little drive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed here at the end of May 2012 for 2 nights. There were 2 aspects to our stay. First the room which was clean and comfortable. However, the bathroom was dated with a basic shower attachment connected to the bath tap. The stairs and corridor leading to the room were musty and could do with a good clean, especially the cobwebs!
Secondly - the pub & restaurant. Nice friendly staff (especially Sam) and lovely fresh food. Portions were huge and the fish & chips were the best I have tested for a while. Breakfast was ok.
It was a pleasant stay but I wouldn't rush back. Trying to wash long hair with no proper shower is just too much hassle!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Was a little concerned having read some of the other reviews, but ignore them! This is a lovely hotel and country pub, the room was very spacious and clean, with a real homely feel about it. The pub was a lovely country pub serving lovely food at reasonable prices, and huge portions with friendly staff. Yes the hall ways in the converted barn where the rooms are, were a little musty and the bathroom a little dated, but who cares, if you want a five star hotel book one, if you want a very reasonably priced stay (we paid £92 for 2 people for 2 nights) in a traditional english pub, in the countryside, with nice locals and staff, with traditional pub food and a slower pace than the city, then this is you place. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would return and reccommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

friendly staff, large portions, home cooked, reasonably priced

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We were very disappointed having travelled from Medway for a family party, the accomodation was in an adjacent building to the pub, the stair access was dim and dingy, the smell in the corriders was damp and musty as was our room, my Mother in Laws room stank of sick. None of the room facilities were very clean, out of date biscuits and a bathroom that looked like it had been lifted from 1970, but not cleaned regularly, I will say the sheets and towels, well most of the towels, were clean. We had booked to eat at 6.30pm because we were going to a party we finally left the pub at 9pm, the food took forever to appear.
I did tell the owner, I assume she was the owner, about my issues but all I got in response was "really that does surprise me my chambermaid was in yesterday"

Room Tip: Dont bother