“Imagine kipping in a teenagers bedroom....” 1 of 5 stars

Heaphys
16 Market Place, Glastonbury BA6 9EU, England   |
Ranked #50 of 59 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
Pleasanton, California
“Imagine kipping in a teenagers bedroom....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We booked Heaphys for Majma, thinking it would save us driving around, and booked a family room that the three of us could share. I'm very glad we knew each other well, because it was certainly a shared adventure. We too were greeted by the most grumpy manager ever, who told us he was away from the weekend and not to call if we had a problem because he needed time off. Our room was on the top floor and we had no help with bags. Worse still the car park we had been promised was actually the local pay and display, which is usually full and greatly added to our bag lugging and costs for the weekend.. This is not a cheap option ! We had to share two mugs, had no cold water tap (they did bring us a jug and a spare mug when we asked, but then took them away again when the room was cleaned), and had to take it in turns to get changed as there wasnt room for three to stand up. Worst was the bathroom, which was just a cupboard really with a sliding door and no privacy.
Many people have said about the drunks, fights and police sirens all night. The thing that worried us most, as three women, was that the door code only worked maybe one in ten times and the "characters" hanging around outside were telling us the code and trying to help us get in. There is nothing to stop one of them entering at any time of the night. I would strongly suggest a heavy suitcase up against your door at night.
The cafe downstairs was run by a group of teenage girls, who did a good job, but they were not quick with a smile. The whole place feels like the grown ups moved out and left the teenagers in charge.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Street, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We took the family out to Heaphys for a Breakfast treat...it turned out to be a breakfast from hell, firstly, un-friendly manager, there was no choice for children, when we asked, if they did sausages, he rudely replied.."ALL WE HAVE IS WHAT IS ON THE MENU" ..so we got the children ham,egg & muffin, we asked for eggs Benenidict...mmmm..well we got one muffin,cold scrambeld egg & a poor excuse of ham,with a thin line of sause, that you could barely see, let alone taste...we did complain, they just shrigged it off with the answer they had just " RE OPENED"!!!! The food had no taste or quality at all..the worsed is yet to come..they then charged us £20,plus...eeeeeck...there are loads of cafes in Glastonbury, DO NOT CHOOSE THIS ONE, unless you want a cold coffee....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Bridlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

we come to somerset on business two or three times a year and always stay at heaphys ,we have always had a good time.we expect a certain amount of noise in the centre of glastonbury on an evening and at weekends and get it, but never enough to stop us going to sleep.the rooms are big and clean and the shower is fine.this trip 20th of sept we booked for three nights but were called away after one night,the guy incharge lance gave us two days credit ,brilliant!! he didnt have to do that.i would always recommend heaphys if you want to be in the centre of glasto and you want a good nights sleep but be in the middle of the action as well.ps,the breakfasts are brilliant and we will be back in January if not sooner!!

Room Tip: room one is the biggest room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I thought the place was nice and the area was nice other staff was friendly manager was not .

Room Tip: single room nice but i would go for double room next time
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Teignmouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Always had a great time here but unfortunately will not go again, It would seem making money has preceeded customer care. Copies of emails below clearly explain why.

On 12/09/2011 13:21, Copy of email and response from Manager for you info:

I have been asked to complete a customer review survey about my stay with you over the weekend. I started to complete the form but have decide it to be fairer to send my review to you instead.
I have loved staying at Heaphys on quite a few occasions and tell people about it.
This time there was something different, maybe end of season tiredness. I had pre-booked on-line one night and clearly understood that the night would cost more as there was no single room available, this was my choice and no problem to me.
I then had an opportunity to go one night earlier, I phoned and arranged for me to stay the additional night. When I arrived admittedly the cafe was just beginning to close and the staff were about to cash up.
I apologised that the journey had taken a little longer than anticipated. I was then grumpily greeted with ‘Just charge the single charge as I can't be bothered to argue'. I smiled and said I wasn't about to argue and I had expected to pay £65.00 as I had for the following night.
I understood that the £32.50 rate did not include breakfast but a 15% discount. The following day I did feel that £65.00 with no breakfast was a bit steep but I am sure it was clearly stated on my booking.
On leaving I handed my key in to un-smiling staff, received no communication of thanks for staying with us and walked to another cafe down the road breakfast and was greeted with a smile.
I feel really disappointed.
Yours sincerely

From: "info@heaphys.net" <info@heaphys.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:51 AM
Subject: Re:
Hello
Point taken, you were here at the wrong time though. I was on the last day of 56 days in a row shift and all of us had worked very hard in the previous 8 weeks and have made an awfull lot of money, which is the whole point of beeing in Business. You did get a room for half price. The rooms are £32.50 per person and in season we have to charge at least £65.00 for a double room.

We normaly smile all day but I think we had all had enough by then but the Bank manager very happy.

Many thanks,

On 13/09/2011 12:44,

I too, have always worked intensely through the season so understand the fatigue you feel. However, No matter how I was feeling because of the over work, which was actually my own choice, the one thing I always remembered was if my customers had a good experience with me they would tell maybe 2 or 3 people bringing more business, if it was less than good they would chunter to many more!

Good luck with your business and I am very pleased for you that you have made lots of money. I personally will be staying else where in future and happily pay full amounts in exchange for a welcome, even if it is a tired smile.

From: "info@heaphys.net" <info@heaphys.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:03 PM
Subject: Re:

ha ha

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Burnley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We'd never visited Glastonbury before and Heaphy's appealed as it's really central and wasn't over-priced. We didn't have a very good experience staying here.
Check-in was from 12 noon but when we arrived at that time the staff in the pizza shop, above which the bedrooms are, said that the cleaner wasn't coming until 12 and that the rooms weren't ready. We asked when we should come back but they didn't seem able to tell us so we told them we'd return at 3, which we did, and the room was ready. To be fair, they did offer to put our luggage in their cellar.
The room was very large with two double beds, a TV and chest of drawers. There was nowhere to hang clothes at all which was a bit frustrating. The en-suite shower room was very basic with the shower having a push-tap which allowed the water to run for about 30 seconds before shutting off, rather like a tap in a public lavatory. The decoration and standard of accommodation was not very high.
Breakfast is not included in the price of the room (which was charged per person and not for the room) but we were offered 15% off in the cafe below. It was open in time for an 8am breakfast although we decided not to try it out. We could have eaten there in the evening too although it didn't seem that many others were.
The pub two doors down had a live band on the Saturday evening we were staying and although they were very good they didn't stop until after midnight at which time the Town Hall event also kicked out and the street was full of screaming and shouting drunkards until after 2am so our sleep was not so great.
There was no one on site out of cafe working hours but we were given a combination to use on the back door which we noticed was also scratched into the door frame so possibly not that secure.
Although for Glastonbury this was very good value for money, if you're looking for good accommodation, pay more and go elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mayville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

The lodgings my friend and I stayed in were wonderful! We got lost on the way to Glastonbury and came to Heaphy's after hours. It wasn't a problem because we were able to call, access the buildings and our rooms with the owners' help. Our room was very clean and welcoming, with great en suite bathroom. The only drawback is the price; it kind of exceeded our budget as student travelers. Still, worth the splurge!

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Heaphys? Share your experiences!