“Lovely English food with an international twist” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 459 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Description: Small, busy, much admired, family-run restaurant; serving seasonal, locally sourced, freshly cooked food; charming and welcoming staff; sensible and honest prices. Set in a fine Georgian house in Bath's most beautiful position - between The Circus and The Royal Crescent. Voted number 4 in the United Kingdom by The Times "Twenty secret restaurants that foodies love". Bookings advised.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Lovely English food with an international twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Circus Cafe & Restaurant is deservedly high on the good reviews list. It is a small and charming place with personable service and an individual style of cooking. We went there for our anniversary which we must have made mention of when booking because on arrival we were immediately greeted with 'Happy anniversary' from the cheery front-of-house. We were told that the fish came in that morning so my husband started with 'White crabmeat from Beesands in South Devon, on kohlrabi and apple salad, with brown crabmeat mayonnaise' which was fabulously fresh and light, although he was hard-pushed to find any kohlrabi... I had 'Ceviche of brill, caught in Lyme Bay, Dorset, marinated 'till cooked' in lime juice, with sushi ginger, nori seaweed salt and spring onions'; zinging citrus freshness with every mouthful of translucent sweet white fish. A triumph. Monsieur had lamb with a marjoram crust on leeks vinaigrette with Madeira gravy and a side order of pink fir apple potatoes and veg which was perfectly cooked. I chose Hampshire Boar coated in panko crumbs on stir-fried pak choi with a tom yum gravy. Frankly, this was disappointing as I love a kick of spice, which I had been informed this contained, but the sauce was really rather thin and under-spiced, sorry to say. I also had a boring side-salad which was impossible to mix as it was in such a tiny bowl and so I don't actually know whether it had any dressing at all. Kindly, I wasn't charged for this. We don't eat puds but they do look very interesting. All in all, a fine evening.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Beirut, Lebanon
“Classy place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was in Bath only for a short period of time, but it is a beautiful city. My stay was perfect from start to finish especially that my main meal was at the Circus Cafe. It was highly recommended and is already very famous, but I want to join the restaurant's fan base. The atmosphere was very intimate and the setting is very very classy. The service is very professional and polite. The food is very good. Listing all these aspects separately makes no sense to me though in this case; Circus Cafe has played it right in an abstract fashion as well. Looking out the window, you're just meters away from the Circus, you can feel the vibrant Bath around you. In my opinion, the Circus Cafe is part of Bath's heritage.

• Visited August 2012
washington State
“Intimate and good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

So glad we were able to get a reservation here--and it was amazing! Gracious host and servers, intimate and wonderful food!

Visited September 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant, fabulous service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I decided to give this restaurant a try last week after hearing many good things about it and wow how they were right! The atmosphere had a great buzz and my rabbit pie was absolutely delicious! On reflection we think the service made the night, our waitress (Charlotte) had the perfect balance, caring for our needs without being intrusive! The staff clearly had a fantastic knowledge of the food and wine. Ideal night!

Fairfield, CT
“The Very Best of Bath”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I dined at The Circus Cafe and Restaurant in August 2012, and it was the most delightful restaurant experience of my month in England. From the Parma ham and nectarines starter to the local farm rabbit, with vegetables and potatoes, to the cheese plate for dessert, it could not have been a better evening. I ate upstairs _ the decor was beautiful and the ambiance was very relaxing _ but the downstairs section looked very cozy as well. The staff was friendly and attentive, especially the waiter, Jess. With two glasses of wine and a latte to close, the bill, with tip, was about 50 pounds, which was great value for the money and a memorable experience. I highly recommend the Circus. It was certainly the best of Bath.

• Visited August 2012